Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only saw the last set of the match, but the announcers kept saying Agassi looked tired today. He is supposed to be in the best shape of any player, though, and he had only lost 2 sets coming into the match (and those were nearly a week ago). Why would Agassi have been tired?

Anyway, credit to Coria for beating Agassi - especially after his tough 5-set match in the last round. Give credit where credit is due...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dr. Scotso - I agree; I was just wondering if it's true...if so, it doesn't bode well for Agassi at the Open as he will be even older, and the surface is more punishing on the body ;)

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Yes, he was definitely outplayed. Props to Coria.

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
Agassi was lucky he got this far, by way of such a pissy draw.
Coria was too good for him :D :bounce: and should have won in 3 sets but took pity on the old man.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
the funniest thing is that had it been on HC it would have been another demolition of Coria

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Steffi made Agassi work hard the night before the match.:devil:

seriously, Coria's quickness & smartness on court has frustrated Andre.:worship:

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
No wonder he looked tired at the end of the match

He had to play extra ball or two as Coria was running down the shots what would be winners against other guys

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Coria was very good about not letting Agassi play his game which is basically dominating the center of the court inside the baseline and whipping shots from corner to corner to make his opponent run from side to side.

Coria is a smart player, and he's not a one dimensional baseliner.

But yeah, Andre might well hammer Coria on hardcourt. It will be very interesting seeing Coria on the hardcourts this summer. I've seen him play hardcourt tennis and he is different than on clay. He comes in more, but he still likes to make tricky shots. Maybe that great artistry... a la Santoro comes from playing on clay. Is there any strictly hardcourt guy who is a fantastic shot maker?

·
Banned
13 Posts
Andre tried to play hardcourt tennis on clay and it didn't work. That's it. I don't know why all of a sudden everyone is calling Coria "one of the best" clay court players. Coria's serve was returnable and his groundstrokes weren't spectacular. Coria's only weapon I saw was his speed...but I wonder if that was God given or...ummm...helped. *sore loser* ;)

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Court speed his only weapon?

How about those cold winners dtl on the backhand side, the wicked crosscourt backhand, the heavy topspin forehand, the ability to absord Agassi power and spit it back WITH MORE TOPSPIN, the incredible drop shots and lobs, the WICKED, absolute wicked forehand and backhand slices that barely go over the net, the constantly mixed up serve, the good court sense, great concentration and superhuman footspeed combined with very good anticipation.

But I guess he has no weapons??

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,000 Posts
Andre doesn't have the legs to win French Open for quite few years already. Of course he was tired. In the fourth he didn't even try to work points out going for shots, which he normally would not do even on hardcourts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts