601 - 606 of 606 Posts

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #601

·
Registered
726 Posts

It's not like it's Serena/ Venus who asked for this to happen. The WTA/ USO officials made this decision. Unless perhaps, I'm wrong? Such a shame that there is so much controversy. I don't think this decision was necessary, but at the same time, I'm sure that if this was done for another player such as Federer or Djokovic, nobody would care. There is always so much double standard.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Ive always liked Chrissie crazy ass better than Mary Jo. Mary Jo seems like a lowkey hater. Wasn't Carlos Bernardis banned from Nadal's matches for awhile? I dont see the big deal. Its best to keep them separate

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Mary Jo has always been pretty supportive of the WS. After winning Wimbledon 2012, Serena literally ran and hugged her in the post-match interviews. They both were on the verge of tears and discussing how MJF gave her pointers for the final. Some of y'all are hyper hysterical.

Serena really did a world of good getting up to #8. It avoids her having a sure-bet stacked draw alas AO. #9-#24 is no man's land and if seeding holds, they are going to have some BRUTAL middle rounds.

- In the R32, most of the 25-32 seeds are people she will make mince meat out of. BZS, CSN, Sakkari, Hsiesh, Goerges, Mertens or Garcia. The only real bug-a-boo would be Muguruzza. She has a shitty USO record, but she did look good in Cinci this week.
- In the R16, she avoids Kerber, Bibi, and Konta and instead plays one of Slowanne, Sabalenka, or Sevastova. Madison bumps Belinda to 13-16 if she wins today. I think I would actually prefer Madison in the R16 over Belinda. It's a horse a piece---Madison's current form is better but it is a better matchup for Rena. That and Madison doesn't have a history of getting up for big matches on big stages. She confessed to losing to Rodina at Wimbledon because she was scared of facing Serena (who was less than 10 matches into her comeback from pregnancy).
- In the QFs, she avoids Maid, Bertens or Kvitova. Bertens' form is shit and she's garbage at slams. Kvitova is a huge question mark. I would have hated the idea of her having to play Kerber, Bibi, or Konta and then Maid B2b. Instead, she gets one of Help, Barty, Naomi, or Pliskbot. Apart from Help, I don't totally hate those options.

This all could blow up and she could still draw a looming Kuzzy, Drag, Venus, or Fridge in the first 2 rounds. Or she could draw Muguruzza in the 3rd round. I think it's pretty clear that she's cushioned nicely in the seedings and should be setup for a manageable draw.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
She didn't actually commit to playing. Just gave her usual "I'd like to play," response. :lol::zzz:

The Wuhan entry list is out and she isn't on it. She's speaking in Detroit the week of the YEC. I wouldn't hold my breath on Serena playing in Asia. :lol: I guess she could play Beijing, but if she's already resolved on skipping YEC... will she really be motivated to show up?
Darn...thanks for the info. I don't follow player's schedules that intently, so I'm usually out of the loop on those things.

Too bad...was hoping for her to actually play a bit more, since she seems healthy enough.

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
Ive always liked Chrissie crazy ass better than Mary Jo. Mary Jo seems like a lowkey hater. Wasn't Carlos Bernardis banned from Nadal's matches for awhile? I dont see the big deal. Its best to keep them separate

Apparently all players have the right to request this. Renee Stubbs coming through saying she did that 3 times and that the rule has been around forever.

Of course anything S&V do makes headlines and is exploited for maximum drama.

You'll notice how no one knows refs/umps but they are literally famous and perpetual victims once they have any negative dealings with Serena.

No one cared about refs and umps with McEnroe or Capriati were screaming at them all those years.

601 - 606 of 606 Posts