Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 606 Posts

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

https://www.rogerscup.com/news/rc19-preview-will-serena-williams-score-a-historic-fourth-rogers-cup-title-in-toronto/

(1)Ashleigh Barty - BYE
Sofia Kenin - Su-Wei Hsieh
Victoria Azarenka - Camilla Giorgi
Dayana Yastremska -(13) Johanna Konta

(11)Belinda Bencic - Q
Q - Julia Goerges
Danielle Collins - Katerina Siniakova
BYE - (6)Elina Svitolina

(3)Karolina Pliskova - BYE
Maria Sakkari - Q
Carla Suárez Navarro - Venus Williams
(WC)Maria Sharapova - (16)Anett Kontaveit

(12)Angelique Kerber - Daria Kasatkina
(WC)Eugenie Bouchard - Bianca Andreescu
Petra Martic - Q
BYE - (5) Kiki Bertens

-------

(7)Sloane Stephens - BYE
(WC)Leylah Fernandez - Qualifier
Caroline Garcia - Jelena Ostapenko
Amanda Anisimova - (9)Aryna Sabalenka

(14)Madison Keys - Donna Vekic
(WC)Svetlana Kuznetsova - Q
Q - Kristina Mladenovic
BYE - (4)Simona Halep

(8)Serena Williams - BYE
Elise Mertens - Aliaksandra Sasnovich
Q - Q
Lesia Tsurenko - (10)Anastasija Sevastova

(15)Caroline Wozniacki - Yulia Putintseva
Q - Q
Saisai Zheng - Qualifier
BYE - (2)Naomi Osaka

Rd. 1 :

[8] Serena Williams [USA] - BYE

Rd 2:

[8] Serena Williams [USA] - Elise Mertens [BEL] 6-3 6-3

Rd 3:

[8] Serena Williams [USA] - Ekaterina Alexandrova [RUS] 7-5 64

QF

[8] Serena Williams [USA] - [2] Naomi Osaka [JPN] 6-3 6-4

SF

[8] Serena Williams [USA] - [Q] Marie Bouzkova [CZR] 1-6 6-3 6-3

F

[8] Serena Williams [USA] - Bianca Andreescu [CAN] 1-3 Serena ret.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Warm up for #24! Toronto here we are! Canadian Open Cheering Thread

Cincinnati

(1) Ashleigh Barty vs Bye
(wc) Alison Riske vs (wc) Maria Sharapova
Caroline Garcia vs Q
(13) Angelique Kerber vs Anett Kontaveit

(9) Aryna Sabalenka vs Petra Martic
Saisai Zheng vs Viktoria Kuzmova
Camila Giorgi vs Maria Sakkari
(6) Petra Kvitova vs Bye

(3) Karolina Pliskova vs Bye
Bianca Vanessa Andreescu vs Lesia Tsurenko
(wc) Bernarda Pera vs Q
(14) Johanna Konta vs Q

(11) Anastasija Sevastova vs (wc) Svetlana Kuznetsova
Caroline Wozniacki vs Dayana Yastremska
Yulia Putintseva vs Jelena Ostapenko
(8) Sloane Stephens vs Bye
-----------------------------------------------
(5) Kiki Bertens vs Bye
Venus Williams vs Q
Donna Vekic vs Katerina Siniakova
(12) Belinda Bencic vs Victoria Azarenka

(16) Madison Keys vs Garbiñe Muguruza
Daria Kasatkina vs Amanda Anisimova
Carla Suárez Navarro vs Ekaterina Alexandrova
(4) Simona Halep vs Bye

(7) Elina Svitolina vs Bye
(wc) Catherine McNally vs Elise Mertens
Julia Goerges vs Sofia Kenin
(10) Serena Williams vs Q

(15) Qiang Wang vs Su-Wei Hsieh
Q vs Q
Aliaksandra Sasnovich vs Q
(2) Naomi Osaka vs Bye

Rd 1:

[19] Serena Williams - [Q] Zarina Diyaz [KAZ]

Serena withdrawn due to back injury.

·
Registered
698 Posts

Good luck Queen!

My expectations are once again quite low. The last time Serena made it past the 3rd round of a non-slam tournament was in Rome 2016 :shrug: As the 9th seed, she won't have a R1 bye which means that from R2 and on she will have to play every single day and I'm unsure whether she will be able to physically bring her best every single day.

On the flip side, as the 9th seed she will draw Bertens, Kvitova, Stephens or Svitolina in the 3rd round which apart from Kvitova isn't a terrible draw. She will have the advantage of playing two matches before a potential match against a top 8 player. I'm actually for once hoping that they don't flop and that she gets to play them regardless of the outcome :eek: She desperately needs to be battle tested against top 10 players before the US Open.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts

Win a title sis!

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Good luck Queen!

My expectations are once again quite low. The last time Serena made it past the 3rd round of a non-slam tournament was in Rome 2016 :shrug: As the 9th seed, she won't have a R1 bye which means that from R2 and on she will have to play every single day and I'm unsure whether she will be able to physically bring her best every single day.

On the flip side, as the 9th seed she will draw Bertens, Kvitova, Stephens or Svitolina in the 3rd round which apart from Kvitova isn't a terrible draw. She will have the advantage of playing two matches before a potential match against a top 8 player. I'm actually for once hoping that they don't flop and that she gets to play them regardless of the outcome :eek: She desperately needs to be battle tested against top 10 players before the US Open.
I think it is more a warm up for Cinci...expect not to much..but I hope.....

·
Registered
7,978 Posts

Already prepared for the inevitable withdrawal, please play some matches.

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts

I think it is the reverse. She will try in Canada and then tank Cincy.

She's always done very well at this event. Historically she has turned seasons around here.

·
Registered
698 Posts

Off topic, but did you guys know that Coco Gauff said that her goal is to break Serena's Grand Slam record :spit:

Not with that game sis :tape:

·
Registered
698 Posts
She’ll end up with a Venus career likely. And Venus without disease woulda went double digits
I don't know about that :unsure: Venus' game, even at 15-16 looked incredible and majestic. Gauff's game looks like a mix between Cornet and a less powerful version of Julia Goerges. She has no power and she isn't even that athletic. Watching her match against Halep, the difference in athleticism and movement was astounding.

She's only 15 so it's impossible to predict how her career will turn out but I just don't see it. Madison Keys bageled Serena when she was 14 and everyone thought she would be the next GOAT. Belinda Bencic also had two big slam runs at 16 and while both of them have done really well, they aren't really slam contenders. I could see her having a Stephens-like career.

Also, I can't be the only one annoyed that Serena is being asked about Gauff after every single match? :tape:

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I don't know about that :unsure: Venus' game, even at 15-16 looked incredible and majestic. Gauff's game looks like a mix between Cornet and a less powerful version of Julia Goerges. She has no power and she isn't even that athletic. Watching her match against Halep, the difference in athleticism and movement was astounding.

She's only 15 so it's impossible to predict how her career will turn out but I just don't see it. Madison Keys bageled Serena when she was 14 and everyone thought she would be the next GOAT. Belinda Bencic also had two big slam runs at 16 and while both of them have done really well, they aren't really slam contenders. I could see her having a Stephens-like career.

Also, I can't be the only one annoyed that Serena is being asked about Gauff after every single match? :tape:
So much this..and she always answers the same 3 sets...what else can she do?

·
Registered
726 Posts

IDK I like Coco and wish her well, but from everything I've heard about her game, I'm not particularly impressed. She seems to have great athleticism which I believe was key to her domination in junior. However, her lack of power will be an issue with adults. Perhaps, she could become like Wozniacki? Or Halep? But no I don't see Serena in her.

But I do think the hype is too much. I understand her parents reasoning, but it's still too much. It's very easy to swing freely when you're 15 and coming up and literally have nothing to prove. Besides, at the same age, I feel like they were girls that were a bit more impressive - Taylor Townsend, Laura Robson, Donna Vekic, Madison Keys...etc. Her Wimbledon run was a bit of a fluke and she hasn't been all that impressive the rest of the season. By that I mean she hasn't had a convincing win against a top player in the way that a Laura Robson, Madison have had (not that it meant much in the long run), but I guess you understand what I mean.

We'll wait and see. Hopefully, she'll do well!

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
698 Posts

The draw is out:

R1 BYE
R2 Mertens/ Sasnovich
R3 Sevastova/ Tsurenko
QF Osaka/ Wozniacki
SF Halep/ Stephens
F Barty/ Pliskova/ Kerber

This is actually a decent draw to make her first non-Slam QF since Rome 2016. Good luck.

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

(1)Ashleigh Barty - BYE
Sofia Kenin - Su-Wei Hsieh
Victoria Azarenka - Camilla Giorgi
Dayana Yastremska -(13) Johanna Konta

(11)Belinda Bencic - Q
Q - Julia Goerges
Danielle Collins - Katerina Siniakova
BYE - (6)Elina Svitolina

(3)Karolina Pliskova - BYE
Maria Sakkari - Q
Carla Suárez Navarro - Venus Williams
(WC)Maria Sharapova - (16)Anett Kontaveit

(12)Angelique Kerber - Daria Kasatkina
(WC)Eugenie Bouchard - Bianca Andreescu
Petra Martic - Q
BYE - (5) Kiki Bertens

----------------------------

(7)Sloane Stephens - BYE
(WC)Leylah Fernandez - Qualifier
Caroline Garcia - Jelena Ostapenko
Amanda Anisimova - (9)Aryna Sabalenka

(14)Madison Keys - Donna Vekic
(WC)Svetlana Kuznetsova - Q
Q - Kristina Mladenovic
BYE - (4)Simona Halep

(8)Serena Williams - BYE
Elise Mertens - Aliaksandra Sasnovich
Q - Q
Lesia Tsurenko - (10)Anastasija Sevastova

(15)Caroline Wozniacki - Yulia Putintseva
Q - Q
Saisai Zheng - Qualifier
BYE - (2)Naomi Osaka

·
Registered
84,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
7,006 Posts

Well hopefully she takes this serious and gets some good matches in. I think a title either here or in Cincy would free her up going into NY

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts

Gauff isn't underpowered at all. She's a 15 year old who can hit 90+ mph winners and 115+ serves. :lol: She just plays too defensively. Look at how Bellis (the last 15 y/o to properly break through at the tour level) beefed up her game from 15-17 y/o and you'll realize how incredible Gauff's foundation already is.

--

Anyway, Serena has a cakewalk to the QF.... which is probably both good and bad for her. Good because they're testing her with the schedule (playing her opener on Wednesday night, which means 5 matches in 5 days to win the title) and it'll be nice if she can have an efficient first few rounds. Bad because none of those players will even somewhat prepare her for Osaka/Halep. :eek:

Hopefully she can stay healthy for these next 2 weeks. It's been ages since she's been able to get some matchplay/momentum without having to deal with the pressures of a grand slam.

·
Registered
53,510 Posts

Finally Serena plays Mertens or Sasnovich. They never met before ! :)
Both Mertens and Sasnovich suck more than words can say at the moment.
I watched Mertens in San Jose. And she played so weak. Never saw her worse ...

A soft Toronto draw for Serena.
Her first 2 matches should be easy.
Then horror opponent Osaka ...

1 - 20 of 606 Posts