Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,925 Posts
Martha's breakthrough is long overdue, I hope it happens sooner rather than later.
I wouldn't mind if she stays ranked outside the top 100 for another year and half or so. I would love to see her have an outstanding career and there is no rush. I would hate to see her break into the top 100 before she was physically and mentally ready. Cracking the top 100 at around the age of 19 seems to me the ideal time for a breakthrough.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I wouldn't mind if she stays ranked outside the top 100 for another year and half or so. I would love to see her have an outstanding career and there is no rush. I would hate to see her break into the top 100 before she was physically and mentally ready. Cracking the top 100 at around the age of 19 seems to me the ideal time for a breakthrough.
what
why not now

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
marta is still only 17, seems she's been around for ages.
every player develops differently, but if she keeps focused, things will turn for her.
she's obviously someone the w.t.a. will be looking for to make a breakthrough.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Can't believe it has been already 2 years since that AO 3r, from qualies.

Good to see her slowing improving on ITFs.

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
Great week for Marta. A lot of other players aged 15-20 have over shadowed her success, but actually in terms of success this is the most Marta has achieved in a while - unless I’ve forgotten something..

·
Registered
967 Posts
Great week for Marta. A lot of other players aged 15-20 have over shadowed her success, but actually in terms of success this is the most Marta has achieved in a while - unless I’ve forgotten something..
Yep, she made an International QF and 60K Final last May, but that's it since then.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
You're too exaggerated. Iga is having her breakthrough already, so is Anisimova. Osaka, Bencic, Ostapenko all had earlier breakthroughs and they didn't burn out. It's not that bad too breakthrough early now that we have the age rule.

·
Registered
14,608 Posts
I've seen too many players burn out when they breakthrough before they are ready too. I don't want that to happen to Marta.
She's been around a few years now. It would be good for her to breakthrough again now. Maybe if she had rocketed up in the rankings immediately after her 3rd round 2018 Aus. Open breakthrough it would have been too soon, but now that she has had some ups and downs since then, a breakthrough now would do well for her confidence.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,925 Posts
She's been around a few years now. It would be good for her to breakthrough again now. Maybe if she had rocketed up in the rankings immediately after her 3rd round 2018 Aus. Open breakthrough it would have been too soon, but now that she has had some ups and downs since then, a breakthrough now would do well for her confidence.
Thing is I believe in Marta. So if she doesn't have big results right now I don't worry. I am confident she has the ability to be very successful in this sport. I just hope when she breaks into the top 100, as she most certainly will, that she is fully ready both physically and mentally. If she cracks the top 100 before her 19th birthday so be it, the risks of cracking the top 100 as an 18 year old are less than those of a 17 year which are less than those of a 16 year old. But in my view if it takes her a little longer that is fine as well and it might even be preferable in the long term. That's my view.

At one point it looked a possibility Marta could break into the top 100 around her 16th birthday. I'm very glad that didn't happen to be honest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts