Tennis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No thread so far? I know it's a W125, but still... :LOL:
Huge for Brazilian women's tennis. Another big step for our girls.
Bia's biggest title of her career so far! Our hard worker giant :smooch:
She also has a new career high ranking: 52.
A very special win on Mother's Day :bounce:

Her words about the title:

"Very happy for this achievement. It gives me more strength and motivation to keep working hard. Today was a more emotional game, but I'm happy that I was humble to keep my competitive head. Final is always special and so is my opponent competed very well. I'm aware that I didn't play a good tennis game, that I didn't have the aggression I need to have and that my concentration fluctuated. Anyway, I kept fighting internally and found a way to win, but I need to improve that to conquer things bigger",

"I couldn't find my coach, Rafael Paciaroni, since Miami. We trained for two days in São Paulo after the Billie Jean King Cup and then we went to Madrid, where I did good things, but my concentration level fluctuated a lot and the my movement. Then we had a free day in Saint Malo to train calmly and correct the flaws. I felt better, I did good things and I'm proud. Since we started the partnership, I have won seven titles, winning my biggest singles tournament, the achievement of the best ranking of the career... Just things to celebrate".

"I would also like to thank my entire team, especially my physical therapist Paulo Roberto Cerutti and my physical trainer Rodrigo Urso, all my sponsors who make it possible for us to keep fighting for our dreams and to every Brazilian who follows tennis, especially women's tennis, for the fans and support. And I thank my family, which is my base and has always been with me in hard moments throughout my career. I would like to dedicate this title to yesterday's birthday girl, who is my godmother, one of the most important people in my life, and also for my mother and my aunts. Happy Mother's Day!".

Footwear Shoe Purple Leisure Sneakers

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
32,822 Posts
Deserved title for BHM. When she came back from her suspension she worked her way up from the bottom, grinding out the ITF circuit week by week. She will definitely crack the top 50 soon I’m sure. She could even overtake Pereira’s CHR of 43…

·
Registered
132 Posts
I hope some people who blame Maria Sharapova remeber that Haddad also was banned, just see sometimes that people criticize Maria for that but with other players who had the same experience they act like nothing happened. But in both cases they were able to return in the tour and it’s good.

·
Premium Member
28,726 Posts
I hope some people who blame Maria Sharapova remeber that Haddad also was banned, just see sometimes that people criticize Maria for that but with other players who had the same experience they act like nothing happened. But in both cases they were able to return in the tour and it’s good.
yeah they got punished and then cleared… moved on

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Unlike Sharapova though Haddad Maia didn't get a slew of wildcards to big name WTA tournaments upon her return, actually grinding her way back to a decent ranking instead of having it handed to her with help from tournament organizers. However, even then she was still given a WC into some ITFs.

People who were caught doping should not be given wildcards for up to a year upon their return. You should start out at ITF 15k qualies. It's what is fair.

Reactions: jar11235 and Perun

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Unlike Sharapova though Haddad Maia didn't get a slew of wildcards to big name WTA tournaments upon her return, actually grinding her way back to a decent ranking instead of having it handed to her with help from tournament organizers. However, even then she was still given a WC into some ITFs.

People who were caught doping should not be given wildcards for up to a year upon their return. You should start out at ITF 15k qualies. It's what is fair.
Every circumstance is different and people shouldn’t go around making blanket statements to solve every issue.

And regardless, WC’s only get you access to an event- you need to actually win to get your ranking up. Both ladies did so.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Totally different cases. Haddad Maia got a contaminated supplement from her pharmacy with no performance-enhancing intentions, and ruled as involuntary.

Reactions: Perun and *Jool*

·
Registered
132 Posts

Yeah, I see your point, it’s an open discussion I think how these players should return. But I’m saying more not like how they return with WCs or not, some people criticize not the way people returned but the fact they were banned for whatever reason.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Totally different cases. Haddad Maia got a contaminated supplement from her pharmacy with no performance-enhancing intentions, and ruled as involuntary.
Still they both were banned for a period of time. I also think Maria didn’t do it for a reason and her team didn’t say anything to her As she relied on them in these questions. Meldonium was legal before 2016, so Maria’s achievements are still with here, her results in 2016 like 2 tournaments were cancelled. BTW the creator of Meldonium from Lithuania if I’m right said it has nothing to do regardless sports, it’s not doping or anything serious as steroids. But still ofc it was prohibited and Maria got her punishment, so they both did a mistake and it’s not that totally different cases IMO to treat them completely differently. People who were near with them like team and other stuff did a mistake, the same way as Maria and Beatriz maybe could pay more attention and relied on themselves more in those situation they had. I don’t consider any of them as people who did it intentionally. Once again, I’m happy with the fact they both were able to return.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts