Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
State Farm Women's Tennis Classic

Welcome to sunny Scottsdale, Arizona: location for the Tier II, $585,000 State Farm Women's Tennis Classic. With VWTT hosting two tournaments a week, this tournament becomes the first tournament to play host to only the top 16 players on the VWTT Tour.

Meghann Shaughnessy, competing this week, received the highest ranking boost last week with her impressive win last week in Dubai, jumping from #11 to #5 in the world.

With Scottsdale being the final Tier II event before next week's start of the consecutive top Tier I events (Indian Wells and Ericsson Open), all players, except for Jana Novotna, have travelled here in hopes of improving their rankings and obtaining one of the four seeds for next week. Silvia Farina-Elia, seeded 4th this week, has now moved up to #3 in the world, surpassing Amanda Coetzer after a succesful making a successful run last week in Dubai. Meghann Shaughnessy, who defeated Elia in the final last week, also had a major ranking improvement, jumping from #11 to the #5 ranked player in the world. Other top players competing this week are #1 Julia Jans, #2 Iva Majoli and #4 Amanda Coetzer.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Singles Main Draw

(1)Julia Jans vs. Gabriela Sabatini

Serena Williams vs. Jelena Dokic

(4)Silvia Farina-Elia vs. Maggie Maleeva

Alexandra Stevenson vs. Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere

Martina Hingis vs. Meghann Shaughnessy

(3)Amanda Coetzer vs. Anna Kournikova

Lindsay Davenport vs. Chanda Rubin

(2)Iva Majoli vs. Mary Pierce

Doubles Main Draw

(1)Dokic/Maleeva-Fragniere vs. Hingis/Maggie Maleeva

Davenport/Stevenson vs. Shaughnessy/Coetzer

S. Williams/Jans vs. Pierce/Sabatini

(2)Majoli/Farina Elia vs. Kournikova/Rubin

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Abierto Mexicano Pegaso

Hola! This is Aculpalco: host of the Tier III, $200,000 Abierto Mexicano Pegaso. Players who did not qualify to play in Scottsdale this week have travelled her in hopes of proving themselves and making their name noticed on the tour.

Although this is a Tier III event, it definetly is not considered a disadvantage. For many players, it is a blessing! No more qualifyiing for entry into events and a better chance to earn points. This is especially true for many of the new faces on the tour, such as the prodigy Jennifer Capriati, the young and talented teenagers Angelique Widjaja, Mirjana Lucic, Daniela Hantuchova and Elena Dementieva. Others making their singles debut this week in Aculpalco are Lisa Raymond and Francesca Lubiani.

Mirjana Lucic arrives here as the #2 seed, and after successfully making it through qualifying two weeks in a row, hopes to take advantage of it here in Aculpalco.

It is also worth noting that this is the first tournament on the tour that will be played on clay.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Abierto Mexicano Pegaso

Singles Main Draw

(1)Martina Navratilova vs. Bye

Jennifer Capriati vs. Lisa Raymond

(4)Amelie Mauresmo vs. Rachel McQuillan

Daniela Hantuchova vs. Steffi Graf

Venus Williams vs. Francesca Lubiani

(3)Monica Seles vs. Elena Dementieva

Kim Clijsters vs. Justine Henin

(2)Mirjana Lucic vs. Angelique Widjaja

Doubles Main Draw

Navratilova/Lucic vs. bye

Dementieva/Hantuchova vs. Clijsters/Henin

V. Williams/McQuillan vs. Lubiani/Raymond

Seles/Graf vs. Capriati/Widjaja

·
Registered
17,284 Posts

Tough draw for Elena in her debut :eek: . She is facing #3 seed Monica Seles in Acapulco.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doubles draw has been created. Some of you didn't tell me who you wanted to play with, so hopefully you all agree with your placements :confused:.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes, Martina Navratilova likes to play doubles with Lucic :wavey:
So she is able to combine her experience with the potential of a great young player :)

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, so many players yet so little responses in this thread...

Hmm...Anyway, just wanna let you know that I have a tennis tournament to go to tomorrow, so I'll be gone until Saturday night. I might have time to post first round results tonight, if not it'll all have to wait until Saturday or Sunday if I am to tired...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Scottsdale tournament heats up

First round matches at the VWTT Scottsdale tier II tournament started today. Featuring the top 16 players on the tour this week promises great displays of tennis.
World number 1 and Australian Open champ Julia Jans has maintained her consistent form in the past few weeks, winning in Antwerp and putting in a solid effort the following week at Dubai. She opens against phenom Gabriela Sabatini.
The remaining seeds are Iva Majoli, Amanda Coetzer, and Silvia Farina-Elia; they face off against Mary Pierce, Anna Kournikova, and Maggie Maleeva (respectively).
World ranked #5 and recent Dubai singles and doubles winner Meghann Shaughnessy arrived late into her hometown after claiming her first title of the year. Excited to play in front of her home crowd, she admitted to feeling a bit fatigued from the demands of the tour - "Having just won Dubai I'm coming off an incredible high...however, I fear that my form is a bit off given the amount of playing I've done recently." Meghann opens against Swiss star Martina Hingis, with a potential QF match-up with Coetzer.
Shaughnessy is also playing doubles this week, but not with her regular partner Monica Seles. Seles is off competing in Acupulco and Coetzer has paired up with Shaughnessy. Meghann said that she "hopes to partner well with Amanda and wishes Monica the best of luck in Mexico!"

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First Round Singles

Singles (First Round)

(1)Julia Jans def. Gabriela Sabatini 6-3 6-4

Jelena Dokic def. Serena Williams 6-0 6-0

(4)Silvia Farina-Elia def. Maggie Maleeva 6-0 6-0

Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere def. Alexandra Stevenson 6-3 2-0 ret. Stevenson withdrew with a achilles tendon injury

Meghann Shaughnessy def. Martina Hingis 6-3 6-7(0) 7-5

Anna Kournikova def. (3)Amanda Coetzer 6-1 ret. Coetzer withdrew from the match after a right foot injury from a fall early in the first set

Chanda Rubin def. Lindsay Davenport 6-3 7-6(0) 7-5

Mary Pierce def. (2)Iva Majoli Majoli withdrew from the match wtih an injury to her left ankle

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Abierto Mexicano Pegaso
Singles First Round

Singles (First Round)

Jennifer Capriati def. Lisa Raymond 6-4 6-0

Amelie Mauresmo vs. Rache McQuillan (No Match!)

Daniela Hantuchova vs. Steffi Graf (No Match!)

Francesca Lubiani def. Venus Williams 6-4 4-2 ret. Venus pulled out with a knee injury in the sixth game of the 2nd set

Elena Dementieva def. (3)Monica Seles 6-7(5) 6-0 6-2

Justine Henin def. Kim Clijsters 6-4 6-3

Angelique Widjaja def. (2)Mirjana Lucic 6-0 6-0

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator - Games
33,056 Posts
Great first round win, but I'm concerned about my doubles partner forced to retire.

Thank you Jeff! :wavey:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere is excited to get by her first round match!:cool:
Good luck to everyone and thank you to the organizer Jeff!:D

·
Registered
17,284 Posts
Wow, first round win for Elena Dementieva in her debut in Acapulco. She has surprisingly beaten #3 seed Monica Seles in first round. It was a tough first round match though, and hopefully she can did better in the next round.

In double, Elena will team up with Daniela for the first time, and they will face Belgian Clijsters/Henin. It is still uncertain whether they will play their double match, especially after Hantuchova pulled out of single match due to injury :sad:

Good Luck everybody,
Thx Jeff :wavey:

·
Team WTAworld, TOP President
9,327 Posts
how the heck did serena get 6-0 6-0? i passed my picks :sad:

·
Registered
32,409 Posts
Majoli pmed you her picks last friday :eek: Why did she pull out!!!!

NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT ALL OF MY PICKS AT LEAST MADE THE QUARTER FINALS!!!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
49,763 Posts
this is another dissapointing week for maggie maleeva as she loses again in first round!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
btw Jeff, I really like your Alanis Morrisette picture and Sale and Pelletier before that, are you canadian like me or are you just a fan?:confused:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts