Tennis Forum banner

In your opinion, whose title drought is worse?

• In my opinion, Capriati's title drought is worse

Votes: 34 52.3%
  • In my opinion, Hantuchova's title drought is worse

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Grilled chicken over Fettuccine Alfredo is an excellent dish to have or try

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Grilled chicken over Fettuccine Alfredo is NOT an excellent dish to have or try

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Of the 2 players, Capriati will be the first to win a tournament again

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Of the 2 players, Hantuchova will be the first to win a tournament again

Votes: 11 16.9%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Capriati completed her comeback with a stint at number 1, plus 3 Grand Slam victories, the last of which was won at the 2002 Australian Open. It's now been approximately a year and a half since her last tournament victory of any kind.

Daniela Hantuchova became a tennis household name by first taking a set off Venus at the 2002 Australian Open and then beating Martina Hingis in the finals at the 2002 Indian Wells tournament. That tournament win was what got people talking about her as a rising star and a serious challenger to the WTA elite, but a year and 4 months later, it is still her only title to speak of.

So which is worse to you? Rising to the top and sufering a subsequent string of titleless tries (Capriati) or bursting on the scene with a show of promise, creating hype talk only to have not tasted victory since (Hantuchova)?

In this poll, you can choose more than one option but I'll ask that you only select one of the options between the first set of 2 questions, second set of 2 questions and last set of 2 questions. The middle 2 questions are meant to divide the other 2 sections of questions as well as a peek into the food likes and dislikes of the board members. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
14,737 Posts
Capriati's title drought is worse... She's due to win again soon.

As for Hantuchova... She's just lucky she doesn't collapse and end up in the hospital for starvation. The girl might win again if she starts eating some freaking food!

Grilled chicken over Fettuccine Alfredo is NOT an excellent dish to have or try

And J Capp will win a tournament again before Hantuchova does.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
Because of where they are in their respective careers, I'd say Olive Oylova's drought is worse than J-Cap's. If Jennifer never wins again, at least she can say that (a) she's been #1, (b) she won Olympic gold, (c) her last win was a major, and (d) she's still a serious threat to win any event she enters. Daniela loses early in every event she enters nowadays, and even Stevie Wonder can see that her recent slide is mostly health-related. She needs to take off from the tour ASAP to address her health problems while she's still young enough to correct them. ;)

Reactions: mboyle

·
Registered
639 Posts
Originally posted by darrinbaker00
Because of where they are in their respective careers, I'd say Olive Oylova's drought is worse than J-Cap's. If Jennifer never wins again, at least she can say that (a) she's been #1, (b) she won Olympic gold, (c) her last win was a major, and (d) she's still a serious threat to win any event she enters. Daniela loses early in every event she enters nowadays, and even Stevie Wonder can see that her recent slide is mostly health-related. She needs to take off from the tour ASAP to address her health problems while she's still young enough to correct them. ;)
This one made me think...I had to come down on the side of Hantuchova's drought being worse for the reasons darrinbaker00 posted so well. I don't agree that her problems are mostly health-related, though. It is a factor. But, I think the publicity got to her with additional demands. Also, like Sharapova, she shows promise, but, the game needs work. Her head problems may be harder to fix than her weight and game.

Grilled chicken over Fettuccine Alfredo IS an excellent dish to have or try :lick:

Hantuchova will win another tournament before Jennifer if she drops down to a lower tier. I think Daniela would be willing to do this for the win and the confidence. This type of strategy does not seem to be in Jennifer's nature. I also don't see a major in Jennifer's future as long as Serena is in her head. If Jennifer can ever beat Serena on the court and in her head at the same time, it will be a tremendous step forward.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Well, as far as title droughts, I think that Jenn's SEEM to be worse. As far as performance, DANI is much worse.

It seems bad for Jenn because she is a very good player. Even though she's out of the top five, most players still don't like to see her in their quarters because when she is on, she is very good. She is very much still a strong contender for titles. THAT'S why her title drought seems so incredible!! To think that a player of her caliber hasn't won a title in over a year...it seems almost ridiculous!

As for DANI, her overall situation is worse. Players are GLAD to see her in their quarters. It's a sigh of relief. When compared against having other top 10s like Mauresmo, Capriati, Davenport...well, having Dani (i know, i know, she's not top 8 right now...but she fluctuates in the area occassionally) seems like a bit of luck. So not only is it a title drought for her, but a certified slump.

Overall, Dani has many years to rise to the top and accumulate more titles. I hope she'll be able to improve and get back her form (and become even better than before).

I just wish they'd both win a title soon so that they don't keep getting harassed about title droughts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Without a doubt it's Jen's. Really there is no comparison.

Jen is a slam holder, and a tour vet.

Dani had her breakthrough year last year and it is natural to see players have a sophmore slump.

Jen's slump is worse by a million votes. come on now.. lol

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
I'd say Jennifer, just because she's been so close. If you would have told me after last year's Aussie, Jen wouldn't have another title, I'd say no way. But Hantuchova--you see that a lot. Second year slump.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Excellent poll, Marcus. You should do more of these :cool:

Kick in another vote for Daniela, for the same reasons jmp posted above. I think this is more of a sophomore slump for Daniela and she has a good career ahead of her. Jennifer appears to be at the end of her career, and she won't win again unless something big happens to the top 3 players.

Oh, and grilled chicken over fettuccine alfredo is an excellent dish to have or try :lick: If you're sharing the recipe, send a copy my way, please ;)

·
Registered
829 Posts
IMO, Capriati's drought is worse than Hantuchova's because Capriati is both a GS Champion and a higher ranked player with more experience than the latter. That said, what Im saying is basically I find it more surprising that Jenn hasn't won anything this year compared to Daniela since at the moment she has more credentials to win one.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
IMO, Daniela's health is much more of a factor than anything else. This will become more than just a sophomore slump unless she gets herself into decent shape again. I really want to see Hantuchova take a couple months off, clear her head, get her weight back up, put on some more muscle, and come back refreshed and ready to compete at the top. But knowing her, she'll probably play every week this summer and completely exhaust herself going into the US Open.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,588 Posts
Jennifer's without a doubt - She is a grand slam champion, and for her to go this long without even a single title is quite surprising because we all know that at her best she is as good as anyone. Unfortunately she seems to be facing a bit of a mental block right now against other top names.

Having said that, I hope both win titles again real soon!!

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Jennifer could retire tomorrow and still be regarded as a legend (not necessarily because of tennis, as Lindsay has accomplished more and yet won't be seen as a legend unfortunately, but because of her fairytale). Hantuchova could retire tomorrow and everyone will forget who she was in a month or two. Wheras Jennifer has accomplished virtually everything there is to accomplish in a tennis career (not record breaking stuff, but she reached number one, won majors, won the olympics, and a handful of other titles on most surfaces), Hantuchova has had pretty much ONE noteworthy result in her entire career (take a wild stab at what it is:p ). Finally, wheras Jennifer is beating all the lower ranked players (save a few exceptions such as Petrova:sad: ) and pushing the top players to the brink before getting tired and losing her nerve, Hantuchova isn't even getting to play the top players because she is too busy losing three set marathons to mega-stars such as Harkleroad and Morigami:p .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.