Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's long past due that we have a thread that shows a video history of women's tennis.

My concept is a visual history divided by years. This would enable us to easily find matches for a certain year.

Anyone up for it?

This is not my original idea BTW. Cheers to Hugues Daniels for his British Pathe thread.:cheer:

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
39,253 Posts

Sarah Palfrey vs Helen Jacobs. Probably the US Open final? Jacobs won 6-1, 6-4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBj_LKLOuzI

I especially enjoy this kind of footage with (real?) stroke sound that gives an idea of the quality of the game. Helen's power is clearly impressive (that smash!). The audience is big and seems to appreciate the play. Sarah takes the net with speed and accuracy. Looks like a fine level of game for womens tennis in 1934.

Lenglen 8 years earlier seemed to play badminton, but I guess it's a matter of style!

·
Premium Member
39,253 Posts
April 1939 (film issued on June 1st)

Young Suzy Kormoczy (14 years old) facing UK lefty Kay Stammers in the final of the Melbury Club, Kensington, London.

This is the Hungarian player who won Roland-Garros twenty years later. Promised as a near future star of the game in this document, no need to say the war ruined it all. But she'd be back. Note that the laudatory comments somehow aren't reflected by the score but were certainly justified by teen Suzy's run in the tournament (see below). (full draw on this page, post #19)

Week of April 17-23

April 17-22, Melbury Club Tournament, Kensington, London, GB (Clay)
Venue: Melbury Club

Singles (Draw=63)

FI: Kay Stammers d. Suzy Kormoczy (Hun) 6-1 6-1

When Suzy beats Evelyn Dearman at Melbury the indignant press comment ‘it really is too much to have Miss Dearman, a Wightman Cup player, going down before a Hungarian child who wears her hair in long pigtails’ – Suzy goes on to reach the final at Melbury and the somewhat embarrassed organisers talk of organizing a children’s party for this ‘astonishingly precocious child’ (along with Jean Nicoll who was 16) who hits the ball harder and deeper than she has any right to. They breathed a sigh of relief when the seasoned Kay Stammers sent Suzy back to Hungary for the Hungarian Championships. Suzy made it back for Felixstowe but unfortunately was too young to compete at Wimbledon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.