Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in LA, Virginia Ruano-Pascual is playing with Conchita. It makes sense... so they can prepare for the Oly's, but I thought she and Paolo said they'd only play with each other and at the same tournaments so that they could end they year co-#1's... I guess not now...
And... with a win or two in LA doubles would this make Virginia #1 in next weeks rankings?

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
Paola pulled out of the tournament - why shouldn't VRP play doubles with someone else if she desires?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
:sad: I've heard rumours that Vivi and Paola aren't getting along to well, I guess this confirms it. I've been waiting for Vivi to reach #1 properly for so long now, but, I wish it weren't this way. Hopefully, they'll manage to work through their problems and stay together though; it's sad, they make such a nice team.

·
Kookie Supporter
67,414 Posts
Caz said:
:sad: I've heard rumours that Vivi and Paola aren't getting along to well, I guess this confirms it. I've been waiting for Vivi to reach #1 properly for so long now, but, I wish it weren't this way. Hopefully, they'll manage to work through their problems and stay together though; it's sad, they make such a nice team.
I agree with the fact that they make a nice team. I hope the rumours are not true. They always seem to have so much fun together.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
James said:
I agree with the fact that they make a nice team. I hope the rumours are not true. They always seem to have so much fun together.
They weren't having fun at Wimbledon. :crying2: They didn't look like they hated one another (a la Lisa & Rennae the Wimbledon before they split) but they weren't having fun and were going their seperate ways after matches. I hope it's something they can work through though, cos they ARE a really nice team.

·
Registered
16,318 Posts
They are best friends and there is no problem between them, Paola is injured and Vivi is playing doubles with Conchita for the Olympics.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
This is not anything to do with their relationship, but is it just me, or does Virginia seem the "bitchier" of the two?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
All I know is that something definately seemed wrong at Wimbledon; they didn't seem happy together, they never attended one anothers matches, (and they never used to miss one of each others matches, unless they clashed), and they immediately went their seperate ways, with their seperate people after their doubles matches, then after Wimbledon, I had from a couple of different people that they are not getting along so well anymore, but that they would continue playing together so long as they were still winning, and now, after repeatedly saying they would play exclusiively together for the whole year to be co-#1, while Paola's out injured, Vivi is playing with Conchita. It could just be Olympic practise, and I hope it is, but with what I saw at Wimbledon and what I've heard since, it just doesn't look like it to me.

I do WANT to believe there's no problem though! I sincerely hope what I've heard is wrong and they still are best friends, but, if not, I hope they keep on winning long enough to work through whatever the problem is, cos they have always been such good friends and they always have so much fun on court, it's great to see! ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I remember seeing Virginia watching one of Paola's singles matches.

If Paola has an injury that means she is going to miss the next few weeks then it makes sense that Virginia would want to play with someone else and that Paola would okay that. With the Olympics coming up Virginia does not want to miss out on warm-up events.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Mark Newman said:

If Paola has an injury that means she is going to miss the next few weeks then it makes sense that Virginia would want to play with someone else and that Paola would okay that. With the Olympics coming up Virginia does not want to miss out on warm-up events.
Really? Which match?!? We were at all of Paola's matches that didn't clash with Vivi's (except the Amelie one .... £56 is just too much money for one match!) and didn't see Vivi at any of them (and since Vivi & Paola's entourages constantly seemed to end up sitting near us, if she was there, we would have seen her!) Well, I know which match it wasn't, for sure, the match on Court 5, on Middle Sunday! lol! That match was watched, quite literally, by the players coaches, Gallofa and I, two men, and two old ladies! :eek: What a mess they made of getting spectators to the outside courts that day! ;)

Anyway, I hope you're right, I want them to be happy and keep having fun playing together! :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wasn't it Mauresmo's match where Vivi was watching???

Btw am I right in thinking that Vivi will be at least co-No. 1 next week even if she loses first round. The only reason Suarez is ahead is because she has played one more tournament (Filderstadt last year) therefore this should bring them level as their records will be identical - same total points/bonus points/no. of tourneys.

·
Momomental
8,576 Posts
Mark Newman said:
Yes I'm sure I saw her too. She was sitting with Paola's coach. I can't for the life of me remember which match though.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
robbie12 said:
Wasn't it Mauresmo's match where Vivi was watching???

Btw am I right in thinking that Vivi will be at least co-No. 1 next week even if she loses first round. The only reason Suarez is ahead is because she has played one more tournament (Filderstadt last year) therefore this should bring them level as their records will be identical - same total points/bonus points/no. of tourneys.
Well, that would explain it then. That was the only match we didn't go to. Vivi's Agrentinean .... coach .... person, (no idea who she is, but she is Argentinean and appeared to be with Vivi), was at *all* Paola's matches though; cheering nice and loudly! ;) They didn't seem happy in doubles, but then they never do seem to be at Wimbledon, so .... ;)

As for the ranking, I really don't know. The last thing I heard was that rather than being that Paola had one more tourney than Vivi, it was something to do with the number of points Paola had for her extra tournament, or something like that, but I'm hopeless at anything vaguely mathematical, so I don't even pretend to have a clue! ;)

[OMG! Help me!! I really have to stop avoiding my essay!! ;) ]

·
stubborn procrastinator
111,282 Posts
Sonja said:
Yes I'm sure I saw her too. She was sitting with Paola's coach. I can't for the life of me remember which match though.
I think it was Amelie's match. I remember seeing Vivi also. :)

And yep, Vivi should be at least co-No. 1 after LA, and if they do really well, she might pass Paola. ;)

[essays are meant to be avoided, Caz] ;)

·
Momomental
8,576 Posts
Ohhhhhhhh you're going to find Nemo Kuilli!!

Cool avatar! ;) :p

·
stubborn procrastinator
111,282 Posts
Sonja said:
Ohhhhhhhh you're going to find Nemo Kuilli!!

Cool avatar! ;) :p
But of course. :p Nemo rules. Oh, and so does Dory. ;)

·
Banned
14,999 Posts
as Paola's out, VRP needs to do for a living. she cant make much money from the singles events, what do you expect? :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Caz said:
Hi, I'm a newbie who loves the whole Vivi and Paola partnership, I'd be gutted if they didn't play together again.

I think the situation at Wimbledon was fuelled by the fact that Paola wasn't 100% fit, therefore making it difficult to play together as they normally would.

You seem to know a lot about the pair of them, as I've only recently started watching their doubles matches would you be able to fill me in on lots of info on the pair.

Have to say I'm green with envy that you have been lucky enough to watch them in the flesh!!

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
Vivi might be jealous, but I don't think so. I think Paola is injured so Vivi needs to find some other chica and Conchita is there. I hope Paola heals in time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts