Tennis Forum banner
6061 - 6080 of 6102 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Due to some reason, I don't remember much from their AO match earlier this year except that Vika choked a 5-2 lead in first set and ended up losing the set despite having a SP.

·
Registered
37,263 Posts
Due to some reason, I don't remember much from their AO match earlier this year except that Vika choked a 5-2 lead in first set and ended up losing the set despite having a SP.
She had a panic attack.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This time she will be mentally ready . It was no cake walk in Berlin.
Pegula is aggressive and solid so question if vika’s game is ready.
so far i like her attitude and the little changes in her serve and FH. Granted not all 100% smooth all the time but ROS and BH are also working. She has a decent chance but she has to be on her guard every minute. Any down time can change the match quickly.
Critical is lower the errors as pegula hits incredibly clean. On the other hand svitolina wasn’t 100%.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Another really good serving performance and solid performance off ground..Vika won 81% points of First serve today which is just too good number on these courts against a good returner like Pegula..I wonder if she is referring to her serve in this below quote

·
Registered
334 Posts
well... i'm not crying you're crying ;)

incredibly clutch and so few errors today, she's continuously raising her level every match which is so heartwarming to see.

said this is her last tourney of the year, which kinda makes sense and is expected. i would kill to see her go all the way.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
11,886 Posts
Great to see her get a good result after a bit of a slump since Berlin. She’s had lot of injuries this year, but still feel like she should be ranked higher cause she had some good performances (just not in right tournaments till now). And she’ll thankfully be seeded at Australian Open now.

In case she actually manages to win the tournament, I don’t understand why she wouldn’t try to play Moscow just to see if she can make the Guadalajara finals. She’d be so close incase Barty and Osaka withdraw.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Another really good servng performance and solid performance off ground...I wonder if she is referring to her serve in this below quote

definitely! just look at the speed of her first serve and you'll see. i think someone also mentioned her using more core power towards her FH, which i also think is completely accurate!

but in fact without even going into the details i feel like the entire vibe of her game changed a lot. i see a lot of coming to the net after serve (or just generally comes to the net much more), which offsets her decline in power and movement. honestly i enjoyed watching her old style better hahah :p but she made the right choice for her career. really proud of her.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great to see her get a good result after a bit of a slump since Berlin. She’s had lot of injuries this year, but still feel like she should be ranked higher cause she had some good performances (just not in right tournaments till now). And she’ll thankfully be seeded at Australian Open now.

In case she actually manages to win the tournament, I don’t understand why she wouldn’t try to play Moscow just to see if she can make the Guadalajara finals. She’d be so close incase Barty and Osaka withdraw.
i shared that thought, but on the other hand i think it's good to give her body a rest after such an injury-prone season... don't want to push it too hard

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
she gave Walkovers in 3 different tournaments this year and just didn't really have a big run in slams

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
definitely! just look at the speed of her first serve and you'll see. i think someone also mentioned her using more core power towards her FH, which i also think is completely accurate!

but in fact without even going into the details i feel like the entire vibe of her game changed a lot. i see a lot of coming to the net after serve (or just generally comes to the net much more), which offsets her decline in power and movement. honestly i enjoyed watching her old style better hahah :p but she made the right choice for her career. really proud of her.
yeah..much more pace on her serve than usual. I wish someone asks her about the serve in PC instead of usual cliche questions. I wanna believe that this isn't some purple patch she is having on serve lol

Reactions: flying_FF

·
Registered
215 Posts

I noticed her change of FH using her core during her match with kvitiva. It gives her more controlled power than trying to wreck the ball which she is not gifted with naturally. Using core power can control better placement with better speed. It’s apparent on muguruza’s FH and I saw it was well used in raducanu’s as well. Esp FH down the line It takes time away from opponents and put you in great opportunity to move forward.

as for her serve she has been trying to serve faster since last year. Only that sometimes work and sometimes resulting in DF when she chokes. One thing to note though, in the past she often goes for high percentage serve and it worked with most players but never worked with top players if the serve speed is slow. This time she goes for serve speed but not necessarily serve %. Due to faster speed the balls are less returnable in turn makes her service game much much easier to hold.

so really good changes she made in real matches. I assume she had that intention all along but not able to translate fully in matches with conviction.

my personal view is that she really committed to this after her loss to muguruza in USO. Second time this year she lost to her and I am sure she thinks she could have won. Sometimes it takes a failed course to turn her game around. I hope this mentality will be here for good.

·
Registered
37,263 Posts
I know I should focus on the positives right now, but she said in her on-court interview that it was her last tournament of the year, which is a little disappointing to me. Of course she could still change her mind, but I highly doubt it. It's possible she's still planning to play the BJK Cup (she did enter after all and that's different from a regular tournament), but I had been hoping she'd decide to play at least one of the European indoor events to pick up some more wins/form/confidence/ranking points before next year. And if she can win Indian Wells then she actually has a great shot at reaching the YEC (where she'd actually have a legit shot to do well too imo) but only if she can pick up a few more points, which are easiest to come by in Moscow, but she would need to request a wildcard ASP to have a shot of playing there. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't even know she's still in YEC contention.

Anyway, great win today. It's nice to see things finally coming together this year (I felt like she wasn't that far off, but still), and her taking advantage of a friendly draw for once. She really could go all the way, but I'm not going to get my hopes up… A semifinal is still very solid.

She still has ~300 points dropping from Ostrava last year, so not totally certain yet, but most likely I think with other players losing points from 2019 IW and Rabat and whatever else in a few weeks.

·
Registered
37,263 Posts
Another really good serving performance and solid performance off ground..Vika won 81% points of First serve today which is just too good number on these courts against a good returner like Pegula..I wonder if she is referring to her serve in this below quote

I will say MORGADO tends to be quick on sharing news but doesn't actually do much reporting himself. So it's likely that whole tweet is just based on her OCC comments; I truly think she may not know she's in YEC contention and would possibly re-evaluate if she did, but I also really doubt she wants to bother with Moscow, especially if she somehow ends up winning IW.

So it's unlikely but imo not totally impossible. She generally loves Mexico too, so I would think she'd especially enjoy this YEC (plus most of the top eight are in pretty poor form). But I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I will say MORGADO tends to be quick on sharing news but doesn't actually do much reporting himself. So it's likely that whole tweet is just based on her OCC comments; I truly think she may not know she's in YEC contention and would possibly re-evaluate if she did, but I also really doubt she wants to bother with Moscow, especially if she somehow ends up winning IW.

So it's unlikely but imo not totally impossible. She generally loves Mexico too, so I would think she'd especially enjoy this YEC (plus most of the top eight are in pretty poor form). But I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.
Yeah...she does love Mexico and enjoys playing there...I just think with Leo, maybe YEC might not be her highest priority on the list. She still is playing in BJKC..so it's not like she is totally shutting down the season after IW.

·
Registered
215 Posts
“I think it took a while for me to understand maybe I need to implement some new changes in my game because I've been pretty successful with my game over the years,” Azarenka said after her 6-3, 6-4 round of 16 win over compatriot Aliaksandra Sasnovich. “I'm trying to be a little bit more aggressive. The game is faster. There's not that many rallies. Trying to use that into my advantage as well.”
Azarenka admits that it is a tricky dilemma she faces. She’s been successful across her career, and even last year enjoyed a rebirth on the big stage where she reached a Grand Slam final at the US Open, marking her first appearance that deep in a Slam in seven years. So there isn’t exactly an impetus for drastic change, but the Belarusian, wanting to squeez more out of her game, decided she wanted to excel in the "ten percent" of matches that she struggled in, hence the altered approach.

“I want to change those kind of 10 percent where I need a little bit extra,” she said. “I think it takes a certain understanding. I think when you are successful and you've been to the highest of the top, sometimes the ego is a bit hard to over-talk. I think for me I feel like it's just a natural process of awareness that comes together.”

“I think the court coverage and taking maybe less shots to win the point, that's something that is important for me to improve,” she said. “I think on the baseline, counterattacking, having high intensity, that's something that worked really well for me. It doesn't necessarily work all the time. It's more demanding. I'm looking for things that I can implement that will make it a bit easier for me.

“I'm also not in the beginning of my career to grind every match. It's not necessarily tougher physically, but from one match to another it adds up. I'm looking how I can be more efficient as a player.”

·
Heaux
30,270 Posts
Solid as fuck win over Pegula. Not sure what y'all think about it but I feel like Pegula is a more reliable, less volatile version of Oysterpancake. The latter's serve is still very vulnerable and rule of thumb is she doesn't beat players who can consistently threaten her serve. Hence her winning that RG title dispatching all those negligent pushers.

The only problem is, in their RG match Vika herself got the jitters on her serve in that first set which made things way too complicated (I remember it was like 10 breaks of serve in a row).

6061 - 6080 of 6102 Posts