Tennis Forum banner
6041 - 6060 of 6103 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
thanks for the report. Happy for you that you got to see the match live, even if it was crappy.
So it seems she is working on her serve. Very good news. Also, she was better in practice? I take that as if she "just" needs more matches. I wish she would enter some smaller tournaments.

Too bad you didn't get her autograph. I think Vika's personal life very much controls her actions and mood on court, so maybe there are some challenges there distracting her.

·
Registered
37,265 Posts
Ok my phone was close to dying so I was on airplane mode throughout haha.

Honestly wasn’t a good match… both are pretty out of form; you can see glimpses of their peak from some truly amazing shots, but all others are UEs, DFs and even a ROS from Vika that hit on the racket frame and bounced onto the “second floor”.

Something interesting I noticed is that Vika’s 1st serves are going incredibly fast and good (same observation as in practice). Fastest ace at 112mph, and average 1st serve speed faster than Petra’s! Shocked. But her second serve wasn’t any different than before. Basically means her 1st serve % decides the match… maybe this is the new thing she’s working on.

Other than that, really not much highlights. Oh she did seem very composed throughout, which is worth celebrating :p

About at the net: yes I also got the feeling that these 2 aren’t as close as they were anymore. No hug/kiss was very surprising, and in the post match speech Vika didn’t mention Petra by name (or I missed it), and def didn’t sound close. I guess they just grew apart… from even playing doubles in 2012 (which is hard to imagine now!)

Vika wasn’t very warm towards the crowd today I feel like. She left practice without any autograph session. Post match speech was kinda flat. She did some autographs after the match but not a lot (I personally didn’t get it and was really looking forward to coz I brought a custom Vika poster and was sitting in the front row). A little disappointed on this side :/
I felt like something was a bit off with her mentally (and has been since Wimbledon basically), even though she did manage to raise her level really well at the important part of both sets. But I thought her game was actually pretty good when she needed it to be, but she seemed to lack confidence and focus, which is kind of odd since this kind of match should be what motivates her most.

Anyway, we'll see if she can take advantage of this friendly draw…

Reactions: flying_FF

·
Heaux
30,270 Posts
Didn't see the match so can't comment on overall quality but I'll be damned if that BH volley to break for 6-5 and that crosscourt BH passing shot near the end of the 2nd set weren't delicious :love: This is a very nice win.

REally hope she can take this further now, the draw is doable in the next two rounds. However Sasnovich is not to be underestimated. She is gunning for scalps at this tournament but hopefully she'll decompress now.

@flying_FF Are you going to see Vika's next match as well? Hope you can get your poster signed by her 🤞

·
Registered
334 Posts
i was planning to catch Sasnovich-Halep yesterday but went to Pavs' practice instead; i was confident that it's going 3 so i'll catch some part, but nope!

i feel like Sasnovich's form is pretty good this week from others' comments tho, so Vika would need to up her game (and noooo slow starts plz!!)

·
Registered
37,265 Posts
She will play third on Stadium 3 tomorrow. It's not supposed to be as hot, although SASNOVICH has played her last two matches late in the day. Hopefully she won't zone again like she apparently did against HALEP in any case. Vika should be extra motivated to beat a lesser-known compatriot, but I also feel like she could shit the bed…

·
Registered
215 Posts
I rewatched the full match

multiple breaks Until the last 3 games in the first set where she was always up a break. Not good that she was not able to convert every time. Good that she was patient and not frustrated to push in every game. Neither was playing very well , a lot of nerves.

her last game serving out was wobbly , 3 bps for kvitova and She missed easy shots so vika got lucky to makeher first set point. Nicely done with an ace.

second set vika fended off 2 bps that was crucial not to fall behind. She was up a break and later got broken back as well. But her shots were much better in second set with higher pace on both wings. She was consistently aggressive by her standard and she kept applying pressure. Even when she missed narrowly she played with conviction. Some volleys were really amazing and tough abd she made them with a lot of focus . Clearly wanting to win, very good attitude which also yielded confidence in shots. She made a few aces with speed more than 110 mph. That was a delight to watch.

overall a very good win. Especially her attitude and conviction of shots . Her serves and also her FH , it looks like she uses more power of her core , anchor his legs wider to push through resulting in deeper balls. I like this change. She has always uses more her corefor her BH and if she can transfer to her FH it will be less sitting up for others to wreck and drive deeper penetration.

for next match it’s hard to say if she will be ready. She always underestimates lower ranked players and by the look of sasnovich’s scalp last 2rounds vika may find herself in unfavourable condition if she falls behind. Barring her r mental readiness I would hope that she should pass through

·
Registered
37,265 Posts
I rewatched the full match

multiple breaks Until the last 3 games in the first set where she was always up a break. Not good that she was not able to convert every time. Good that she was patient and not frustrated to push in every game. Neither was playing very well , a lot of nerves.

her last game serving out was wobbly , 3 bps for kvitova and She missed easy shots so vika got lucky to makeher first set point. Nicely done with an ace.

second set vika fended off 2 bps that was crucial not to fall behind. She was up a break and later got broken back as well. But her shots were much better in second set with higher pace on both wings. She was consistently aggressive by her standard and she kept applying pressure. Even when she missed narrowly she played with conviction. Some volleys were really amazing and tough abd she made them with a lot of focus . Clearly wanting to win, very good attitude which also yielded confidence in shots. She made a few aces with speed more than 110 mph. That was a delight to watch.

overall a very good win. Especially her attitude and conviction of shots . Her serves and also her FH , it looks like she uses more power of her core , anchor his legs wider to push through resulting in deeper balls. I like this change. She has always uses more her corefor her BH and if she can transfer to her FH it will be less sitting up for others to wreck and drive deeper penetration.

for next match it’s hard to say if she will be ready. She always underestimates lower ranked players and by the look of sasnovich’s scalp last 2rounds vika may find herself in unfavourable condition if she falls behind. Barring her r mental readiness I would hope that she should pass through
Really good observation about her core. I hadn't noticed that, and frankly I need to try to apply that analysis to my own game because I definitely use it more naturally for my backhand than forehand.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
If Vika had her current first serve back in 2012-2016, she definitely would have won more slams. Her First serve currently is pretty good but those DFs during crunch games are sadly becoming predictable. Atleast she was really good off ground today...hit some delicious DTL winners

·
Registered
334 Posts
No more live Vika for me as I fly back today :( good luck!! She def need to be a tad more consistent than yesterday vs. JPEG.

Yesterday I actually got a Vika vibe in Sascha: shitty serve (lol), and a few really superb ROS and redirection. Also saw her on the grounds and she seemed cool. Happy for her great week.

·
Heaux
30,270 Posts
If she wins the next match, the points coming off from Ostrava F should be covered. However Pegula and her money scare me. She is hitting so cleanly.

This really is a huge opportunity, kinda like Berlin but we know how that ended😭😤

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
If she wins the next match, the points coming off from Ostrava F should be covered. However Pegula and her money scare me. She is hitting so cleanly.

This really is a huge opportunity, kinda like Berlin but we know how that ended😭😤
atleast she won agaisnt Pegula in Berlin...althrough she unnecessarily dragged it to 3rd set

6041 - 6060 of 6103 Posts