Tennis Forum banner
6021 - 6040 of 6160 Posts

·
Heaux
30,281 Posts
Through after Linette retired... not convincing from Vika at all. She was 5-2 down in the first set, first serve was nowhere to be found and she wasn't hitting the groundies all that cleanly either IMO, although Linette was playing very well.

I hope Vika can raise her level again because my god, her game has not been up to snuff since that Wimbledon loss to Cirstea.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oof I think Vika got lucky with Linette's injury. This was going to be at least a 3-setter...

I hope she plays Petra next round just because Vika-Petra was the exact match that got me into tennis. It's gonna be ugly now though, with both of them in pretty shitty form :p

·
Heaux
30,281 Posts
Do we really trust Vika to actually take the win right now vs Kvitova, in favorable conditions for once? I'm doubtful, Vika just looks to be playing without much confidence.

Kvitova has never done well at IW and one can definitely beat her by simply sticking around and making it a physical battle, but Vika doesn't even really have that mental application right now to not take herself out of a match and let her opponent suffer on the court.

·
Registered
37,419 Posts
Do we really trust Vika to actually take the win right now vs Kvitova, in favorable conditions for once? I'm doubtful, Vika just looks to be playing without much confidence.

Kvitova has never done well at IW and one can definitely beat her by simply sticking around and making it a physical battle, but Vika doesn't even really have that mental application right now to not take herself out of a match and let her opponent suffer on the court.
Well P3tra is playing even worse lately. But yeah who tf knows.

·
Heaux
30,281 Posts
What she did so well when beating Kvitova in Toronto 2015 was hit deep into the Kvitova BH, so hopefully Vika's FH can do that again as it's the key to crunch Kvitova for errors. Obviously gonna have to serve better than vs Linette and she's gonna need to pull out her dropshots to tire out Kvitova. Hopefully it'll be a day match.

·
Registered
37,419 Posts
I'm glad she's the night match because she usually seems more focused for those. But can't believe it's not on the main court. So disrespectful.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hahaha I’m actually glad that it’s not on the Stadium 1 - front row tickets are so much cheaper for Stadium 2!

Yep - I canceled my trip for Wed/Thurs coz work was hectic and not enough motivation to go with no Vika, and yesterday I decided that I can miss any match between anyone, but Vika-Petra was the rivalry that got me into tennis and there might not be another chance to see it… I just can’t miss it. So yep, I’m here!

(And I think we can all agree that Pavs-Leylah might be better quality at this point)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Watching practice. Serve and slice looking sharp!! She practiced ROS with left-hander serves, which is greattttt. BH at her normal level but FH still a bit sloppy; I guess that’s sorta expected lol

·
Registered
37,419 Posts
Helpppp i really want to watch this match but it's almost 3am here and the HALEP match looks like it could be endless.

Have an amazing time there @flying_FF. I'm so glad you were able to see her!

Reactions: flying_FF

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow, Petra didn't hug Vika at the net, but she virtually was gracious in all her defeats to other players.

She didn't seem to respect Vika as I remember she didn't even respond to Vika's retweet wishing her a speedy recovery months ago. Weird.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ok my phone was close to dying so I was on airplane mode throughout haha.

Honestly wasn’t a good match… both are pretty out of form; you can see glimpses of their peak from some truly amazing shots, but all others are UEs, DFs and even a ROS from Vika that hit on the racket frame and bounced onto the “second floor”.

Something interesting I noticed is that Vika’s 1st serves are going incredibly fast and good (same observation as in practice). Fastest ace at 112mph, and average 1st serve speed faster than Petra’s! Shocked. But her second serve wasn’t any different than before. Basically means her 1st serve % decides the match… maybe this is the new thing she’s working on.

Other than that, really not much highlights. Oh she did seem very composed throughout, which is worth celebrating :p

About at the net: yes I also got the feeling that these 2 aren’t as close as they were anymore. No hug/kiss was very surprising, and in the post match speech Vika didn’t mention Petra by name (or I missed it), and def didn’t sound close. I guess they just grew apart… from even playing doubles in 2012 (which is hard to imagine now!)

Vika wasn’t very warm towards the crowd today I feel like. She left practice without any autograph session. Post match speech was kinda flat. She did some autographs after the match but not a lot (I personally didn’t get it and was really looking forward to coz I brought a custom Vika poster and was sitting in the front row). A little disappointed on this side :/

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does anyone know if Vika has entered or plans on entering any of the remaining tournaments in 2021? Or is Indian Wells her last?

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Ok my phone was close to dying so I was on airplane mode throughout haha.

Honestly wasn’t a good match… both are pretty out of form; you can see glimpses of their peak from some truly amazing shots, but all others are UEs, DFs and even a ROS from Vika that hit on the racket frame and bounced onto the “second floor”.

Something interesting I noticed is that Vika’s 1st serves are going incredibly fast and good (same observation as in practice). Fastest ace at 112mph, and average 1st serve speed faster than Petra’s! Shocked. But her second serve wasn’t any different than before. Basically means her 1st serve % decides the match… maybe this is the new thing she’s working on.
It was 113mph which is big for her considering she usually doesn't go beyond 108mph in serve speed (not sure though).

Reactions: flying_FF
6021 - 6040 of 6160 Posts