Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/...-criticises-unequal-womens-tennis-scheduling/

Victoria Azarenka, a two-time major champion, has lambasted the "unacceptable" scheduling of women's tennis compared to its male counterpart.

Speaking after a bruising 6-3, 6-1 Wimbledon third-round loss to Simona Halep, Azarenka was asked whether she thought the scheduling of women's matches at grand slams was fair.

The issue has been debated for years, and was intensified at the French Open last month when Johanna Konta and Marketa Vondrousova were shunted to the equivalent of Court 2 for their semi-final.

"Yeah, I mean, [the inequality] is very obvious," Azarenka said. "It's not only the French Open. I think grand slams have been more equal in terms of scheduling, which is not the case obviously at this year's French Open, which was unacceptable.

"And the rest of the scheduling, there is a big inequality in that, the time slots. It has to be fixed."
Azarenka, who told The Telegraph before the tournament that she is campaigning for tennis-playing mothers to be given paid maternity leave, reiterated her commitment to campaigning for women's rights on Friday night.

"Women should be getting the same scheduling, the same time slots. That's one of the main issues where we are gonna try to fight for this equality. We have been fighting a lot for equality and prize money. This is the next step, for sure," she said.

One of the arguments used to justify men being given the more attractive time slots on the biggest courts is that players like Roger Federer pull in bigger audiences.

Azarenka, however, dismissed this and suggested that a vicious cycle has developed where women lack the exposure to become as recognisable as their male counterparts.
"We can go back and give 10 years of the same exposure and the same time slots as men's get, and then we will look at those numbers and you tell me the difference, OK?" she said. "Give the same opportunity, and then let's talk about facts."

Halep, her opponent on Friday, took a different view, and suggested the lack of a credible successor to Serena Williams - including herself and Azarenka - has created a situation where a number of players need to be rotated around the main courts.

Asked if there needed to be more equality with the men's game, Halep said: "No, because many players deserve to play on main courts. We are changing a lot. If I was No 1 a few months ago doesn't mean that I have to play on Centre Court every time. Now I'm No 6, now it's normal to play on Court 2."

At this year's Wimbledon, the scheduling has been more equitable than usual, with both Court 1 and Centre Court having more women's matches than men's on Tuesday. But this sort of scenario remains extremely rare at the grand slams.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Can they just separate the slams and other joint tournaments already and both tours can do their own thing, so we hear less of all these interminable whining?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Halep is right. The womens are actually getting a fair share. Its 10-9 to the men on center court and no. 1 court is 13-7 to the women. If its originally scheduled then 10-8 to the men for center and 11-7 to the women for no. 1 court. So its 19-17 in the two main courts in favor of the women for original schedule. And 22-17 for matches that has been actually played.

·
Registered
115,522 Posts
I hope this generation leaves with class. The Wozniacki/Kerber/Kvitova/Azarenka/Radwanska/Halep generation made a ton of money and the sport did well with them at or near the top
Handle things like a brand ambassador, not like an angry fan

Reactions: Saraya!

·
Registered
926 Posts
The temerity to bleat on about equality when women are paid the same as men in tennis when they are required to do less work, is astounding, it is the men who are hard done by in slams when it comes to money, they are the one's who suffer the inequlity, I would be too embarrassed to even go there considering their increased prize money over the years is a direct consequence of the men's game being the mens game, they should be grateful not moaning.

As for the showcourts, Azarenka nor Halep have ever been to a Wimbledon final so it's not like they should be given priority, although I agree that it is ridiculous that Gauff's last two matches v Ryba and Hercog were staged there, as well as home players like Evans or Edmund who based on their careers are also underserving.

Would like to see full list of all the matches on both centre court and court 1 as matter of interest?

I can understand it from the organisers point of view, they have to strike the balance between fairness and public interest, fairness meaning current world number 1's, previous Wimbledon winners being on showcourts and public interest meaning home interest and hype, i.e. Gauff, even though not worthy yet.

Jankovic and Wozniacki many times have complained about the same thing at slams being put on outside courts - the truth is, is that their ego's are bruised when they're not given top billing, they have to accept money talks, if the organisers felt more viewers would watch and sponsors would be happier to see them on big courts they'd schedule them there, nothing to do with sexism but in this day and age it's a card played so often it's become almost frivolous.

If they really want equality then fight to play best of 5 sets. That's what slams are meant to be, harder to win then regular tour events, best of 3 means you're not stepping up, and have a days rest in between. These women don't realise how lucky they are and are not in a position to complain.

Reactions: comjag and Saraya!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
This Wimbledon has been very good to the women, with the Gauff phenomenon providing an unexpected boost.

And with 2 roofed courts they won't have the problems that the French had in the 2nd week scheduling.

·
Registered
16,401 Posts
What is Azarenka smoking?

Reactions: Saraya!

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Yep that's the problem with "equality", people who didn't deserve the benefits in the first place will complain and ask for even more.

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
The bigger issue here, especially when it comes to “exposure” or name/face recognition, is the matches that are shown on TV, at least in the US. And not because of scheduling, either, but because of the choice to show the men’s match EVERY TIME, no matter which players are involved.

I’ve watched every day of play, and the only 2 women’s matches they showed the bulk of were Gauff/Hercog and Williams/Goerges. I made a joke about the fact that every time there’s a women’s match to watch they do a solid 20 minute “tournament update,” then a player interview, or something else so the match is mostly over. And even when they switch to it they don’t stay on it for long!

It’s, of course, the big 3 men that they’re showing instead of any women at all, but it goes even deeper than that as they show two mid-range seeded men play instead of the top women contenders. I didn’t see any of Halep/Azarenka, for example.

So, if Azarenka wants to complain about unfair treatment and exposure, the TV coverage would be a better place to start!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Funny the press asked her about being on a show court when she is not relevant anymore. I doubt they will even ask Kuznetsova for opinion in this issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts