Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the talk about the Indian Wells crowds only being there for the men's matches, I was pleasantly surprised by the full and excited crowd for Dementieva/Wozniacki in Miami. It dispersed a bit for the start of Venus/Radwanska, but it is still very solid and engaged.

The crowds really are there for these matches, which is encouraging to see today.

·
Writer of Stuff
8,734 Posts
Well....

I was there for each of the first 5 days--1st round, 2nd round, women's 3rd round.

By and large, the stadiums emptied out after mens singles and doubles when a women's match was on. There were some exceptions, but consider this. Court 2 was packed for Vera's match against Garbin but everyone there was just showing up early to get a seat for the Bryans, who were next on.

In the stadium, Nadal and Fed played to packed houses, but JJ's match Satuday night had maybe 20% capacity.

I think we just all have to accept the fact that women's tennis does not have the draw power of men's and leave it at that. Go see them in person. Support them. They love it when they hear you cheering and supporting them, and are very gracious about talking/signing afterwards.

I built up a rapport with some of my favorites by letting them hear from me during their matches (Tamira, Aravane, Marion, etc.) After a few times they looked over at me after a big point for moral support. It was cool.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
Well....

I was there for each of the first 5 days--1st round, 2nd round, women's 3rd round.

By and large, the stadiums emptied out after mens singles and doubles when a women's match was on. There were some exceptions, but consider this. Court 2 was packed for Vera's match against Garbin but everyone there was just showing up early to get a seat for the Bryans, who were next on.

In the stadium, Nadal and Fed played to packed houses, but JJ's match Satuday night had maybe 20% capacity.

I think we just all have to accept the fact that women's tennis does not have the draw power of men's and leave it at that. Go see them in person. Support them. They love it when they hear you cheering and supporting them, and are very gracious about talking/signing afterwards.

I built up a rapport with some of my favorites by letting them hear from me during their matches (Tamira, Aravane, Marion, etc.) After a few times they looked over at me after a big point for moral support. It was cool.
I was about to post a thread about this topic, yesterday despite being Serena´s match up there, the staduim was half empty. Very rare to see considering it was a Williams (i have never seen so little crowd to see them, the three years i have been to the tournament).

I will post some pics later.

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
Well....

Perhaps you shouldn't have even gone that far; can you read? The opening post wasn't about the popularity of women's tennis with regards to men's tennis. If you want to rant on about that start a different thread.

The OP was merely commenting that the crowds in Miami are generally very pleasant sportsfans and seem engaged whatever the match, which I too have always found to be the case over the years.

·
Premium Member
181,958 Posts
yesterday main court was empty for Venus match
while at same time people were hanging on railings to see Safin vs Monfils

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
I was about to post a thread about this topic, yesterday despite being Serena´s match up there, the staduim was half empty. Very rare to see considering it was a Williams (i have never seen so little crowd to see them, the three years i have been to the tournament).

I will post some pics later.
Serena was first on, it's pretty normal for the crowd to be patchy. I've seen happen with Federer on centre court Wimbledon. In any case it's not news that generally women's tennis doesn't pack stadiums as much as men's.

Honestly, these 'observations' by some people. I too was about to post a thread, about I noticed that yesterday the sun rose in the east and set in the west :speakles:

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
yesterday main court was empty for Venus match
while at same time people were hanging on railings to see Safin vs Monfils
Hyperbole from one of our 'moderators' at its best :lol:

Reactions: volta

·
Writer of Stuff
8,734 Posts
Perhaps you shouldn't have even gone that far; can you read? The opening post wasn't about the popularity of women's tennis with regards to men's tennis. If you want to rant on about that start a different thread.

The OP was merely commenting that the crowds in Miami are generally very pleasant sportsfans and seem engaged whatever the match, which I too have always found to be the case over the years.
No need to be a jackass. The OP mentioned "full" stadiums. Perhaps you should go re-read it.

·
Registered
114,826 Posts
IW had record crowds this year. People can still afford to go watch. Sponsors might be having some touble

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
gotta love it when ppl twist someone elses words just to fit their arguments.

let's try it this way , compare the crowd that is watching WTA matches in Miami with the one that watched WTA matches in IW ... GOT IT? :wavey:

·
Registered
114,826 Posts
Isn't S/E leaving tennis? They wanted Sharapova, not the WTA tour.
Miami is going to need a new main sponsor

·
Banned
13,295 Posts
Del Potro and Tipsarevic were playing on Center Court . I would prefer to watch a practice instead

1 - 20 of 35 Posts