Tennis Forum banner

4461 - 4480 of 4490 Posts
320 Posts
In 2010 Lena made the Paris SF and had to retire and missed Wimbledon. She had 4 match points in NYC vs Stosur, who won NY the next year
She was still at the top and passed on millions and the chance at a major and #1 then
But its what felt right to her, I'm not saying its bad. It shows she didnt love being a touring pro like a lot of these players who are in their mid 30s and still playing
Of course she was still capable of having good runs, but after the injury in RG, her game was even more hampered. Couldn't hit through her forehand often and her backhand had already become a much weaker shot after injuring her ribs in 2007. I believe she had made up her mind before the 2010 season that it would be her last, so she was definitely at peace with that. I also admire than her decision was final, and there would be no comeback. Plus, the prize money in the game has increased quite a lot in those 10 years - so it makes perfect sense as to why so many make a comeback or continue playing deep into their 30s. If you're healthy and still enjoy it, why not? I think that's where Vera is at. I just hope her body can hold up to the pressure.

·
Registered
112,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,462
I think she made the decision to retire at the start of 2010. But I dont know that for sure. She made the final of Tokyo after NYC beating Vera, Schiavone and Pennetta. She might have felt her body was breaking down, but most players in her situation would not retire as a top 8 player still in her 20s

320 Posts
I think she made the decision to retire at the start of 2010. But I dont know that for sure. She made the final of Tokyo after NYC beating Vera, Schiavone and Pennetta. She might have felt her body was breaking down, but most players in her situation would not retire as a top 8 player still in her 20s
No it's definitely true, I believe she even declared it herself at YEC, so you're not mistaken. Lena was always very competitive but I think the signs were always there that she had family priorities on her mind. When she broke her ribs in 2007, she mentioned that she'd thought about retiring, and she was only 25 and yet talking about not getting any younger. I think she'd mentioned at some point that she'd be retired by 30, and she kept her word. Her biggest aim was to win a slam, and I think she accepted it couldn't happen - she was so heartbroken in the press conference after the Stosur loss. I believe she even did some studying before she had Veronika.

But as for Vera, do we know her grass schedule?

·
Registered
112,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,464
I dont know her grass schedule. Lots of possible events this time of year

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
No it's definitely true, I believe she even declared it herself at YEC, so you're not mistaken. Lena was always very competitive but I think the signs were always there that she had family priorities on her mind. When she broke her ribs in 2007, she mentioned that she'd thought about retiring, and she was only 25 and yet talking about not getting any younger. I think she'd mentioned at some point that she'd be retired by 30, and she kept her word. Her biggest aim was to win a slam, and I think she accepted it couldn't happen - she was so heartbroken in the press conference after the Stosur loss. I believe she even did some studying before she had Veronika.

But as for Vera, do we know her grass schedule?
So far, she is only confirmed for MD for Wimbledon. Next week there are 2 grass WTA tournaments, but she on none of the EL, both MD and QD. Maybe she applied for a WC on either, but nothing found on that either.

320 Posts
So far, she is only confirmed for MD for Wimbledon. Next week there are 2 grass WTA tournaments, but she on none of the EL, both MD and QD. Maybe she applied for a WC on either, but nothing found on that either.
Thanks :) It's a missed opportunity, if it turns out to be true. Vera's definitely top 50 on grass, and she's in a position to pick up points as she didn't play at all in June last year (except Wimbledon qualies). The 100k tournaments in Britain prior are always a good place to rack up some grass wins.

Just noticed she withdrew from 100k in Ilkley on 26th May.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Playing doubles only this week in Eastbourne
Yep, indeed. She teams up with Raquel Atawo of US, a veteran, they play Kasatkina and Kontaveit, they won first set 62, second set was interrupted at 56 in second set. They resume today.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Vera withdrew from Wimbledon :sad:

There was a walkover for her opponents yesterday in the Eastbourne QF doubles. Such a shame for her.
Sigh :( . Can't say I am surprised. It must obviously be an injury, but as she did not do any singles warmup torunaments, I had a feeling something was wrong. I was hoping the warm up would be the doubles, but probably it went not well or she felt she was not ready. On to US then hopefully

·
Registered
20,773 Posts
She seemed be so into it. I mean she was pretty excited in her last posts
I hope she will be back soon.
What a pitty!

·
Registered
52,056 Posts
Vera withdrew from Wimbledon :sad:
Sad. But I am not surprised. Vera looked half-dead at French Open. Looked really bad.

Vera is not ready for singles at all now. Such a shame this bad injury :sad:

·
Registered
112,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,473
This is a bad time for injury. There are 9 months with only 1 major and 3 months with 3 majors and you have to watch for your health now.
Its same for Rodina, another mom, withdrew from the main draw and she needs the money

·
Registered
52,056 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Hope Vera is healthy enough to play the Open! No warm ups at all though
I hope so too, but somehow my hopes are low. But I expeoct we will not know earlier than begining of next week, before qualies starts. The fact she did not play any warm ups, does not give me much hope.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Sigh. One hopes to see her name in the draw, but not totally unexpected, Vera withdrew just before the draw. Official reason, a left wrist injury.

4461 - 4480 of 4490 Posts