Tennis Forum banner

4441 - 4460 of 4490 Posts

·
Registered
112,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,441
I dont know if she is the toughest. Never been in the top 140. Vera has to focus and play well

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Probably you are right. I believe she was a goos junior, but has been on the tour for a while. But as Spanish she must love clay. We'll see, she needs to on top of it for sure

·
Registered
52,041 Posts
French Open

Bolsova is the Q. Vera really should beat her. Do it better than Kuz, please ! :sobbing:

Vera must take the chances she gets. And this is a lucky R1 draw.

·
Registered
53,748 Posts
Probably you are right. I believe she was a goos junior, but has been on the tour for a while. But as Spanish she must love clay. We'll see, she needs to on top of it for sure
She was a good junior indeed. Got to world #4. But she is only 21 and is not like she has been all these years in the circuit. She spent 2 years (2015-2017) in the US playing college tennis and studying. Exactly one year ago she was playing qualies (and losing) at ITF Brescia. 51 weeks later she is in a GS main draw. She is improving fast. And sure she loves clay her coach being Lourdes Domínguez Lino :eek:h:

·
Registered
112,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,445
All these players are dangerous. Kerber just lost to Potapova. If you get in the main draw, this is a good round 1 draw.
You have to win this.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
First match first of course, but if Vera would win her first round match, she will not face Kvitova. She just withdrew from the tournament.

·
Registered
112,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,447
Maybe this will be too tough an opponent. Vera held for 43, then Bolsova held and broke and she serves against Vera 54

·
Registered
112,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,448
Vera was broken again down 46 01

·
Registered
112,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,449
Vera lost 9 of the last 11 games 46 26
Terrible tournament for Zvonareva, Kuznetsova and Pavlyuchenkova. They didnt win a set

·
Registered
52,041 Posts
Vera :sad:

I saw the end of the match. Heartbreaking to see.
Vera was injured, her left hand/arm was heavily taped, she could only play backhand slice.
So basically she played without her backhand - her strongest weapon.
Vera tried to hit with her forehand as much as possible.

Very lucky for Bolsova to play an injured opponent.
This was a walking bye match. Vera was playing on one leg or one hand/arm.
Bolsova had nothing to do to win. Only play to Vera's backhand. And wait for the UE.

Now the question is since when does Vera have this injury ?

Yes, the golden generation of Russian players are fading more and more :(
Sharapova, Vesnina and Makarova are almost retired. Kuz and Pav also lost in R1 like Vera.
The only positive for Russia are Potapova and Kudermetova. And Zhuk and Blinkova who qualified. But they still have a long way to go to reach Top 10 and be Top players. The golden era is for sure over.

·
Registered
112,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,452
An injury could explain what happened here. Its tough to practice hard in your 30s and stay healthy. Vera had some opportunities in main draws this year but wasnt healthy enough

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Somehow I did not feel confident about her draw, but seeing now she was injured worries me more than the loss :( . Hope it is not serious and she can focus on the grass season.

·
Registered
20,773 Posts
She's still in doubles draw with Alexandrova.
They Play Nastias team

·
Registered
112,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,456
I am impressed that Vera enjoys playing so much that she wants to play singles and doubles all year as a mom.
When she was younger she rarely looked happy playing. I remeber the Pennetta match where she was banging her legs with her racket. The Stosur match in Charleston. When Vesnina was in the changeover in the Wimbledon final, she was giving Vera tissues because was crying hard, during the final, because she had lost to Serena that day

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I am impressed that Vera enjoys playing so much that she wants to play singles and doubles all year as a mom.
When she was younger she rarely looked happy playing. I remeber the Pennetta match where she was banging her legs with her racket. The Stosur match in Charleston. When Vesnina was in the changeover in the Wimbledon final, she was giving Vera tissues because was crying hard, during the final, because she had lost to Serena that day
How becoming a parent can change people ;). Not saying it is just the case for Vera, but she is now one of the veterans on tour and she might just know, she is not likely to win the big events anymore and just want to go out there and enjoy in what she is good at. And becoming a parent helps in realizing what is really important in this world. I would not be surprised Vera is at that stage. It does not mean she does not want to win matches and tournaments, or perform at her utmost, I am sure she does, but I think she is more settled now.

·
Registered
112,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,458
When adversity hits thats when you see what is inside of a person and Vera loves tennis.
I remember when Dementieva retired. She was healthy and at the YEC. She just walked away.
Vera gave a speech that night about Lena
That was 2010 now its almost a decade later and Verais still playing singles and doubles
Vera played the premier in Moscow in 2000! 19 years ago! Beat Bovina and lost to Kournikova, who made the final and lost to Hingis

320 Posts
When adversity hits thats when you see what is inside of a person and Vera loves tennis.
I remember when Dementieva retired. She was healthy and at the YEC. She just walked away.
Vera gave a speech that night about Lena
That was 2010 now its almost a decade later and Verais still playing singles and doubles
Vera played the premier in Moscow in 2000! 19 years ago! Beat Bovina and lost to Kournikova, who made the final and lost to Hingis
I think Lena retired at the right time, her game was a shadow of itself for me in 2010, and that's as someone who followed her since AO in 2004. Vera is unlikely to get back to where she was, but what she has accomplished so far in her comeback is still pretty impressive. She never had a huge game or "kill shot" (even though her backhand is still a wonderful stroke), so being 34 and playing tactical tennis was always going to be a challenge. I think top 50 is a reasonable target to aim for, but as someone who experienced the very top level of the game, maybe that won't be enough to keep her passionate. She seems to love playing doubles and is having decent success, and part of me has a feeling she'll end her singles career at the end of the year and play doubles part time.

·
Registered
112,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,460
In 2010 Lena made the Paris SF and had to retire and missed Wimbledon. She had 4 match points in NYC vs Stosur, who won NY the next year
She was still at the top and passed on millions and the chance at a major and #1 then
But its what felt right to her, I'm not saying its bad. It shows she didnt love being a touring pro like a lot of these players who are in their mid 30s and still playing
Vera is not even making the big money now. She was in the singles finals of Wimbledon & NYC in 2010, and that pays very well. Also a top doubles player then and in singles finals of Rogers Cup & Beijing. Vera beat Jankovic, Azarenka and Clijsters at the YEC & gave that speech when Lena retired
But she must really love it to be at all these events as a mom

4441 - 4460 of 4490 Posts