US Open, Final: :p

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=66269

September 11, 2010

Vera Zvonareva

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK

K. CLIJSTERS/V. Zvonareva
6-2, 6-1

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Do you think that you were more overwhelmed by the occasion, by Kim, or by a combination of both?
VERA ZVONAREVA: None of those. I don't think I was overwhelmed. Of course it was a great honor to be in the finals of US Open and playing in front of New York crowd.
But, um, I think Kim just played very good match. She didn't really, you know, give me chances to get into the match.
But I also think that physically today she was just much better player than me. Physically I was not capable, you know, of playing the same level as I was able to play even like yesterday or in my previous matches.

Q. Why do you think that is?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't know. It's hard to say in the moment. I will have to go back and analyze a little bit. I think I have to learn how to make sure that I recover well, and I'm physically fit and ready to play when it comes down to the last matches of the tournament, like semifinals or finals.
I will still have to learn how to do it and how to pace myself, maybe, with practicing and preparing. Also maybe if I really want to go deep in the Grand Slams, maybe I will have to stop playing doubles because there are some days off on the way, you know, during two weeks.
People that are playing only singles, they can -- on those days off, they can go with a very light practice session and just work on some things that they want to work. I felt like here I had to play every day. It's tough not only physically, it's also mentally tiring.
So by the time, you know, the most important match of the tournament arrives, for me it was very difficult out there physically today.

Q. What Kim said afterwards, that you'll go on a win a Grand Slam, was that some consolation? Do you believe that will still come, a Grand Slam win?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I always believe in myself, you know. You know, of course I'm disappointed at the moment, and I'm disappointed because I believe that I was not able to play my best today.
But I'm trying to look forward. I'm trying to think about what I have to do next to, you know, play better. Hopefully I will have another chance. Hopefully I will go far in another Grand Slam. Hopefully I will be more experienced.

Q. Do you take some comfort that Kim was in four major finals before she won her first title?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, yeah, she told me that. I was like, Okay. It was just two for me. That's okay. It's not too bad.
But, yeah, you know, sometimes you can be disappointed and think, Okay, I had two chances and I didn't use them. But, you know, that's how it goes. It's just great experience for me.
I tried my best out there. I gave 100%. I was just not -- I was not able to hang in there physically today.
Hopefully, like I said, I will have another chance.

Q. Mentally was it very tough, because she gave you almost no chances? We saw you frustrated from time to time.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, of course I was frustrated because I was losing games like 40-Love, 40-Love, and was not able to, you know, come up with my game.
But I was just trying to find a way to pump myself up, to change something up. But there was a moment a little bit in the second set where I started playing a little bit better. I had a breakpoint. She came up with an ace.
You know, it was very difficult today, because she just -- she came up with some great, great shots in the key moments.

Q. Tonight concludes the Grand Slam season for the women. I know it's very soon after the loss, but are you able to look back and say, Hey, two Grand Slam finals this season; this was a breakthrough summer for me?
VERA ZVONAREVA: It was a great summer, for sure. You know, it's a great experience to be in the finals of Grand Slams, but I'm just gonna look forward.
You know, I'm just gonna look forward and think about what do I have to do to improve, you know, to go all the way in the Grand Slam.
That's about it. But when I finish my career, maybe I will look back and I will remember some great moments. But at the moment, I will try to look forward.

Q. You mentioned the frustration. Can you describe what was going through your mind when you cracked the racquet and also after the match what you were feeling when you let it all out?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Um, when I cracked my racquet, I was like, Come on. Why can't you just -- the ball is just two steps away. I was able to do it -- I was able to get this ball in previous matches, and right now I'm just like so slow, cannot move. I just need to get some energy, you know, from something.
You just let the emotions out. Maybe it will help, you know, to be a little bit more fast, quicker, I don't know, something.
But, you know, I was still a bit slower; I was physically not fast enough. With Kim, you have to be fast. You have to play fast. You have to move quick. I was just overall very slow.
And at the end of the match, you know, I was upset that I was not able to, you know, turn it around. But also, I was maybe not too upset because I knew I gave it 100%. I was just physically not there. I couldn't do better than that.

Q. What effect, if any, did yesterday's win over Wozniacki have on your performance tonight? Any?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Ah, I don't know. I think it was a good match for me yesterday. Maybe, you know, I gave a lot in yesterday's match and was not able to recover for today's match.
I'm not sure. I will have to look back and analyze it a little bit better. But, you know, yesterday was a great match. Today not so good.
But like I said, I will look forward.

Q. Kim is very gracious person. She made a point of really trying to make you feel better. A lot of players wouldn't do that. What's that mean to you when someone like Kim, in her moment of triumph, is actually looking out, trying...
VERA ZVONAREVA: I think she's a great person, and she really knows how to be in those situations. When she gives such a support, it's great from her.
You know, I think she -- yeah, like I said, she's a great champion, but also a great person. You know, maybe because she said that maybe I'm not so disappointed right now. (Smiling.)

Q. Is there a comparison possible between your loss at Wimbledon and this one in the final? Has Serena, did she give you more chances, or do you feel you had a little bit more opportunities against Serena than against Kim today?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Um, no. I think with Serena it was very difficult at Wimbledon. It was on the grass, probably her favorite surface.
I just was a little bit -- I was rushing and didn't exactly know what to do today. I think I knew what I wanted to do on the court. I just could not execute my game. It was different when -- you know, I think I was a bit nervous before the match, but when I stepped out on the court today, I was not nervous at all. I was ready to play. I knew what I had to do. I just, yeah, couldn't produce anything.

Q. Was this the best Kim you've ever played against? The scorelines in all your losses even were good.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, I think today I think probably Kim played her best match against me, but I also think maybe I gave her chance to play her best match because I was not fast enough on the court and I was not -- my shots weren't powerful enough today.
I hit every shot and it was a bit slower than usual, so she had much more time to play her game.

·
Registered
50,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: Vera Zvonareva - Interview Thread

So, now the interviews from Aus Open 2011.:lol:

Have fun!;)

·
Registered
50,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Aus Open, R1: Vera def. Bammer 6-2 6-1 :p

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2011-01-18/201101181295319234524.html

Vera Zvonareva - 18.01.11

Tuesday, 18 January, 2011

Q. Must be pleased with the way you played today?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Definitely. You know, it is nice to start your Grand Slam like that. Was my first match, and, uhm, you know, always difficult to play your best tennis out there in the first match.

But I've done what I needed to win and I'm pretty happy. So I'm looking forward for the next challenge.

Q. How many games do you think you'll need to get under your belt before you hit your form?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Oh, it's tough to say. You never know.

But you definitely need to go through few of those matches to be able to play your best. Like any other player would need. For me sometimes just one match is enough, and sometimes you need two or three.

It is hard to say. But definitely playing more will, uhm, bring more better tennis out of myself.

Q. Does that always make this part of the tournament a very dangerous time because you're not at full form?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, it is difficult. But it is, you know, a good challenge. We try to prepare ourselves the best we can for the first Grand Slam. But, you know, like I think even for all the players it's not always easy to play your best tennis in the first matches.

It is part of the game. And that's something that I, myself as a player, have to go through. I know, you know, even if I'm not playing my perfect tennis, I can still beat anyone on the other side of the net. That's the most important thing. That's what you try to do in a Grand Slam.

Q. Having made the finals of Wimbledon, the US Open, do you think that's made you better prepared to take that extra step perhaps here?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Uhm, definitely. You know, that experience, it is a very good experience. That's something that made me stronger, better player, more mature.

And, you know, I don't know what's going to happen ahead of myself. I'm trying to look forward. I'm trying to improve. You know, hopefully that experience will make me even better player than before.

But, you know, I still have to take it one match at a time and I have to try my best every day. That's what's going to happen in the next match.

Q. Must make you more confident as a player reaching two finals.

VERA ZVONAREVA: I'm always confident in myself. I always believed in myself. There are a lot of people that didn't, but never bothered me. It was just a matter of bringing the best tennis out of myself at those moments when I need it.

And I think I'm pretty good at it. I'm trying. I know it's not going to be perfect every day and I will have some losses, but that's part of the game.

Overall I think I'm much better player than before. I'm much more experienced, much more mature. Hopefully, you know, this will help me to get through some tough matches.

Q. There's been a lot of talk about you and Caroline being 1 and 2 without having won a Grand Slam. How does that affect you?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I really don't think about what is going on around. I'm a tennis player, and my job is to play tennis. So I go out there, I try my best in every single match. If I win, that's great. If I have some losses, well, I try to take something out of it and try to go back on the court and work even harder.

That's all I'm thinking about. I'm really not thinking about what is going on around that.

Q. What is more important, reaching No. 1 or winning a Grand Slam?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Either thing is great, you know. I mean, I wouldn't find a player who would say, I don't want to be No. 1 in the world, or, I don't want to win a Grand Slam. Everyone wants to be No. 1; everyone wants to win Grand Slams.

In order to do so, you have to win matches; you have to win a lot of matches. That's what I'm trying to do. That's it.

Q. Is there anything about this tournament in particular that might suit you and help your chances that maybe wasn't at Wimbledon or the US?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you know, I just have great memories from Australia. Was my first Grand Slam semifinal here. I always performed quite good here. There were some bad matches, but overall, uhm, I'm enjoying the atmosphere. I'm just enjoying playing here. You know, hopefully this kind of atmosphere can help me to feel great on the court and help me to bring the best tennis out of myself.

If I do, I believe I can beat anyone on the other side of the net.

Q. Your season last year was outstanding. What do you feel, looking back now, was the biggest part of your game that improved over that period?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I think, you know, to be able to play at that top level you have to know yourself well. It's all about the details. I think over the past few years, I learned a lot about myself and how to deal with myself in different situations. And all those little details, I was just able to put them together.

And not thinking anything else, just putting all those little things, and they came very well together. And I think that's why I was able to play my best tennis at the Grand Slams.

And, uhm, you know, when something is not working, it's not only about one thing in your game; it's all things together. To learn how to make that happen when you need it, that's an interesting part. And that comes with experience and with the maturity, and I think I got it right last year.

·
Registered
50,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Aus Open, R2: Vera def. Jovanovski 2-6 6-3 6-1 :p

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2011-01-20/201101201295511390121.html

Vera Zvonareva - 20.01.11

Thursday, 20 January, 2011

Q. A slow start, but then you got it all together. What are your thoughts on the match?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, definitely think that she's a very good player, you know, and she started off very aggressive. We never played before. So it got me some time to understand her game, to read her game.

Yeah, maybe, you know, I was a little bit slow in the beginning with my decisions and, uhm, few unforced errors here and there. But I was able to pick it up and really turn it around in the second set. Then it was a bit easier for me.

Q. She was hitting the ball so cleanly in the first set. Was it a matter of hanging on and waiting till she started missing a few of those?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I think I was also playing the way she likes, the way that was comfortable for her. So, of course, she was able to hit the ball a bit cleaner.

Then I mixed it up a little bit more, I changed a little bit my game. Then, you know, I was able to turn it around. Also I was able to play a little bit with a higher intensity and having a little bit less unforced errors and it made it a bit difficult for her.

Q. Did you sense a change come over her when she started missing a few?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I was trying to concentrate more on my game, what I had to do. Was trying not to think what was going on on the other side of the net. Was just trying to take one point at a time. Just really happy that I was able to turn this match around.

Q. Is your game at a level you'd like it to be at this stage of the championship?

VERA ZVONAREVA: It is definitely getting better, and that's what I wanted, this kind of match, where maybe you're not playing perfect throughout the whole match, maybe a little bit inconsistent yet, but you still getting through this kind of match. And I really think that it will really help me to improve for the next one. I'm very positive about it.

I'm maybe not as sharp yet as I want to be, but definitely this kind of match will help me to be better the next one.

Q. You had a problem with your racquets today or the string?

VERA ZVONAREVA: No, I just wanted to get a tighter racquet. There are a couple racquets that the strings broke on top on the edge of my racquet. It happens sometimes. That's part of the game.

·
Registered
50,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Aus Open, R3: Vera def. Safarova 6-3 7-6 :p

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2011-01-22/201101221295669267404.html

Vera Zvonareva - 22.01.11

Saturday, 22 January, 2011

Q. A big second set. How were you playing that second set?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I was just trying to fight for every point like I was doing in the first set. I had some chances to go 4 1 up when I was up 3 1, Love 40 on her serve. I think there was a moment where maybe I was not aggressive enough, and I let her dominate a little bit before I was dictating the game, and then I let her step up and go for her shots a little bit.

So that was the reason she was able to get back on the scoreboard in that second set. You know, then I maybe started playing a little bit too passive and just doing the same thing over and over again, so I couldn't close it out.

But then in the tiebreak I started mixing it up a little bit more. You know, I came with some good shots when I needed. I made those shots. Overall, I think it was a very good match.

Q. Have you played a tougher tiebreak?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Oh, I'm sure, yeah. I did in the past. I actually remember I played against Anastasia Myskina years and years ago. It was the longest one in the final set. It was 21 19 or something. It happens. It's tennis.

I think I played a lot of matches and tough tiebreaks already.

Q. But you didn't win that tiebreaker against Myskina.

VERA ZVONAREVA: No. But tennis, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose (laughter). You learn from it and you try to make it better next time.

Q. Now when you're playing these tiebreakers, you've had a very good last year. Seems like you're more composed, know what to do to win the points.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I think I'm just a different player than before. I'm more experienced, more mature. It's not only about tiebreaks. That's about the whole game.

I think I know myself better and I know what game I want to play, and it helps me during the key points.

Q. As the rounds progress, do you think sweeping out the cobwebs more and more?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Definitely. The level of my game, if you would compare today's match to my first match, I think I was playing a different level already. I still think there's still room for improvement. And there are those situations I have been in today where I had my chances and didn't use them, and then we had to go into this long second set.

That's something that I will definitely have to improve for the next matches. I will definitely have to step up and keep my game throughout the whole match, especially at this stage of the tournament.

Q. You've been amazingly consistent at the Grand Slams in the past year. Just want to talk about that, how you've been able to go round by round, not panic, play the game you want to play.

VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, you know, I don't know. I think once you spend so many years on the tour and you really learn from it, also you really understand that here it is, here is your Grand Slam, that's where you have to give your hundred percent, that's where you have to fight.

Nothing is easy. Every single opponent is very tough. You just try to fight through every match. This kind of tournaments, that's what you train for, that's what you practice for, and that's basically your only chances. I think I'm really enjoying it. I'm really enjoying that challenge, and I think that helps a lot.

Q. Wozniacki said in her press conference it's time we all moved on and stopped asking you two whether you deserve your ranking. Are you getting tired of those questions, too?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you just asked me another one, no? (Laughter.)

Well, maybe it is, yeah, time to stop, so then I don't have to answer it over and over again.

Q. Is it tough playing in the heat?

VERA ZVONAREVA: For me not. You know, I never had problems with the heat. I really prefer when it's hot and I don't feel cold. That's not an issue for me at all.

Q. Outside of mentally, can you just talk about your technical improvement? Seems like you have more options in your game now, too.

VERA ZVONAREVA: It's not that I didn't have options before; it's always that I had too many options, but I didn't know which one to choose. Now I think I'm working on, Okay, I know what I need to do in that match. Just stick to it; do it; don't try to do too much with the ball.

Because I have all the shots in my game. I can go cross courts, down the line, short, deep. You name it, I can do it all. But once the ball comes, you have all those options in your head and you're like, Okay, which one do I choose?

Sometimes I choose all different ones, and maybe they're not the best against this opponent. Why should I do it? So now I'm just trying to stick to what I have to do in this particular match against this particular opponent and try to really, you know, put my head into it and don't let myself make all those different choices.

Even though I like to play and I like to mix it up, now I'm just trying to stick to the plan.

Q. Can you talk about Pavlyuchenkova?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Never played Anastasia before. There's not much I can say at the moment. Definitely she's a great player already. Very young, but I think very established. I think she proved herself to be very tough opponent over the course of the last two years.

So it's going to be tough challenge, but that's what I like. You know, I'm really looking forward to it.

Q. Do you like playing the younger Russians?

VERA ZVONAREVA: You know, I like to play against tough opponents. That doesn't matter where they from, what their age is. It really doesn't. You know, you have a good challenge and you try to go out there and try to show your best.

If we have even more Russian players, I'm just happy. We have a lot, but even more are coming. That makes me very proud of my country.

·
Registered
50,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

^ yes, the tiebreak against Myskina was amazing.:hearts:

·
Registered
50,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Aus Open, R4: Vera def. Benesova 6-4 6-1 :p

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2011-01-24/201101241295846538579.html

Vera Zvonareva - 24.01.11

Monday, 24 January, 2011

Q. What was your assessment of your game today?

VERA ZVONAREVA: The assessment? Well, I think I did pretty good overall. You know, I started off okay, but then she was able to go 4 2 up in the first set. I thought I was a little bit slow, a little bit passive. But then I was able to find the right momentum, stay a little bit more aggressive. I kept that till the end of the match and I'm really happy about that.

Q. Do you play better in the majors than the non majors?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I hope. I don't know.

You know, I try to give my best all the time. You know, been pretty good in the majors last year and, you know, this year started off well. But you can never, you know, expect. You never know what's going to happen. I try to give my best all the time.

Q. Do you get nervous in the majors? What is your mentality in the majors different from the rest of the year?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I'm not sure. It's just the atmosphere, the tournament around, you know, it is your Grand Slam, and that's what you work hard, very hard, over the many, many years. That's where you want to play your best tennis.

I think this kind of, you know, thought, it brings maybe even the best out of myself in a way that I'm really enjoying the challenge and I'm really excited about it. Want to really do well here in Australia and any other Grand Slam.

Q. You're No. 2 in the world. You've been to the final of the last two Grand Slams. Do you like being kind of under the radar or do you think you deserve more respect?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I hope players respect me as a player, and I respect all other players, as well. I really don't think about that much. You know, I'm here to do my job. I'm a tennis player. I'm trying to do my best. That's it.

If I perform well and I win matches, you know, I think people will respect me. But it's not something I really think about. You know, there are a lot of people that always underestimated me and there are a lot of people that never believed in me and there are a lot of people that thought I never will make it to even like Grand Slam semifinals or something.

But it doesn't really matter to me. The most important thing is that people around me, my team, they believe in me. And the most important thing is that I believe in myself, and that's it.

Q. Was that incentive that the people didn't believe in you?

VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I don't know. You know, it's just sometimes you feel something like this. But I've had great people around me throughout my career that have been able to help me out. I think, like I said, the most important thing, that I always believed in myself. It was just the matter of learning how to bring the best out of yourself in the matches when you need it.

Q. After what you said about playing in a Grand Slam, liking playing in a Grand Slam, your experiences last year when you made it to the final, does that help you this week in terms of getting your perspective and keeping yourself fresh?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I hope it does. You know, I learned a lot over the past two Grand Slams. I think I tried to use it to my advantage. I tried to prepare myself for my matches the best I can. I think I know myself a little bit better now. I know myself as a player better, and as a person as well. Hopefully that experience will help me, you know, to play my best tennis when I need it.

Q. Is it an opportunity for other players that Serena were not here, or do you wish that she were here?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I always wish for Serena to play all the events because I think she's great for women's tennis. She's a great player, she's a great athlete. We all respect her a lot. But I think there is a very tough draw. Women's side is very strong at the moment. There are so many players that can go very far in the tournaments, and you can never predict it.

I think this kind of challenge makes women's tennis very interesting. You know, even if Serena is not here, I really think there are so many great players out there. It is still a great competition.

·
Registered
50,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

^ Nice words from Vera about Serena.:awww:

·
Registered
5,375 Posts

Press Conference
Vera Zvonareva Interview
Miami, Fl., U.S.A.
March 30, 2011
V. ZVONAREVA/A. Radwanska

7 5, 6 3

An interview with:

VERA ZVONAREVA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Great match. I guess you didn't do much wrong out there. I notice the trips to the net, 25 of 32. Got to be pleased with that.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, definitely. I'm pleased the way I played today, and especially against Agnieszka it's never easy. She keeps the ball in play, so you really have to focus really well.
I was able to keep my concentration throughout the whole match. Still a little bit ups and downs, but overall I'm really happy. Especially in those windy conditions, you know, I had to take my chances and come into the net. I was pretty successful out there, so I'm pleased with that as well.

Q. You seem so relaxed on the court. I don't know if you changed your way, you mental approach to tennis. Are you more relaxed out there than you used to be?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't know, but I'm definitely more experienced and I'm more mature. I'm just trying to enjoy my time on the court. Don't really think about anything else when I'm out there. Trying to focus on trying to play the best I can every single match. (Smiling.)

Q. You will meet either Clijsters or as Azarenka. Talk about each one.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, I know both players pretty well. I had some tough matches against Victoria and against Kim. I won some of them against both players and I lost some of them against both players.
So no matter what, it's going to be a difficult match, tough challenge, and really happy about the challenge. I enjoy those tough matches.
If I play Victoria then you know, I haven't really given it a thought yet really about either player, but I definitely know that it's going to be a tough one.
I'm just going to come later, maybe watch a little, and then we will see tomorrow.

Q. What did you learn from the two Grand Slam finals that you were in?
VERA ZVONAREVA: What did I learn? I learned a lot of things along the way. I wouldn't just say it is something that I really learned just from the final itself. Definitely was a great experience to be out there and to play in front of such a great crowd in Wimbledon and US Open, but I think I learned a lot of things just playing a lot of matches in the two weeks.
I learned a lot about myself. I learned how to prepare myself the best I can in order to get to the last stages of the tournament in the best shape possible. Yeah, it's tough because I never really played seven matches in a row before.
So, for me, there were some new things. I think I learned how to prepare myself so even if I play an easy match or a tough match, no matter what, I know what to do, what I need to practice in order to improve for the next game.

Q. I know that you're an emotional person or have been on the court in the past. Is that something that you're over, I guess I would say, or that you've talked to anybody about?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I'm an emotional person no matter what. The way I was and the way I am right now, I think I'm just more experienced and more mature and I know how to handle different situations.
But, you know, there are moments where I need it pump myself up and moments where I need to be a little bit hard on myself. There are moments where I need to take it easy. I think I know those moments and I know what to tell myself now.
At the end of the day, if I need to break that racquet, I don't care. I will break the racquet on the court and I will play longer. It doesn't matter.
You know, emotions, they're very vital in any sport. If you don't play any sport with emotions, it's tough to win anything. You just to have use your emotions to your advantage. That's it.

Q. Is it you hate to lose that much or are you a perfectionist that bothers you the most?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I think I'm more of a perfectionist that bothers me the most. I know that I you can do better and better every day. Sometimes it's not happening.
But I'm accepting it the way it is and just trying make it better on the court and trying while I'm still there on the court to give 100% every single day.

Q. Can you talk about your second degree? That sounded interesting. Are you still going for that?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yes, it is my final year. I'm a little bit behind with a lot of commitments that I'm required to do being one of the top players out there. Especially the past couple years it's been tougher for me.
But overall, I'm trying to get the education, degree. I'm working on my thesis right now, and will have a final examination in, you know, June/July.
I might have to miss it because of Wimbledon and the French Open. So hopefully they will postpone my exams and I can take them a bit later.

Q. I can't imagine doing both. How tough is that, and how many other players would do that?
VERA ZVONAREVA: There are some players that are trying to do that, and I think there are players that think it is important nowadays. They're trying to pursue something else besides tennis.
For me it's very important because I always loved going to school and I always loved to learn different things. Studying is one of the ways that takes my head off the tennis court and let's me focus on something else.
I'm really enjoying it, especially the international economic relations. I got the chance to meet different people from different backgrounds speaking all different languages. For me, it is very interesting and I'm excited about it, because I think it's very important to develop yourself, not only as a player, but develop yourself as a person as well.

Q. What's your thesis on?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Thesis on I will try to translate. Sport basically how to use athletes and sports to bring Russian products on the international markets.

Q. Is it about like a future goal for you or more just about being educated?
VERA ZVONAREVA: It is about being educated at the moment, because I think knowledge is vital. First I need to get knowledge in all different things, so then I can make my opinion. Because if you don't know things, it's really hard to make right choices later.
But it is something as well that I'm looking into the future, because I think our government politics are a little bit you know, we would love the World Cup in 2018 to Russia. We will have Olympic Games in Sochi in 2014.
Now we have Japan was supposed to host World Skating Championship, and because of the situation out there right now, Russian was willing to help and brought the Championship to Moscow.
We're really developing our sport in the country and trying to develop our athletes. Hopefully it will help people to learn about Russia a little bit more. Hopefully we'll be open and we will see more people come into Russia as tourists.
There are a lot great things. Hopefully we can develop ourselves a little bit more through the sport.

Q. What kind of products? Obviously I know that you've got great vodka and a few other...
VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, you know, there are a lot of good products that we produce, but for some reason they never want to sell them internationally. The market is very closed.

Q. Like caviar?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, caviar is international, but even if you talk about everyday things, like shampoo, clothes, we produce a lot things but they never go on international market.
I think it is important. We've got a lot have resources, even the food. We can sell a lot of things. I think if people come to Russia for the World Cup, Olympic Games, they can see those things, and hopefully it will help us to be more international.

Q. At the Moscow events that you play in, which I've been to, like Fed Cup, it's nice, but there is a difference in terms of the events, let's say, in the U.S. or somewhere in Europe. Do you think with the international community coming for World Cup and the Olympics that Russia has to step it up now?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, definitely Russia has to step it up. I think we will learn along the way because they're willing to learn. They send a lot of people to learn. Like I think here in the United States, sport is a great entertainment. They make a great show and everyone is into it.
That's something we have to learn. That's something that you can't just learn by watching. You have to experience it. I think that's why they bring in all those international events into Russia. I think it will be great for our country.
Also, it will help to bring some investments. You have to build stadiums, you have to place different international companies in the country to run those businesses. There are a lot of banks coming into Russia, international banks.
So overall, hopefully it will help to, yeah, the boost the investment in the country. Because we've got a great potential out there.

Q. All the studying you do online, I'm assuming.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, it's not really online. We have our website where I can go and follow on the lectures and read on it.
But then when I go back I have to take my exams in person. I sort of have to study on my own, but then I have to go to the teacher and we run through topics, and then obviously I have to do my exams out there in person.

Q. I also saw here that I guess you're a women's advocate. I saw a Gender Equality promotion and involvement with women in the caucuses or something like that.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, that actually was WTA and UNESCO partnership on, yeah, gender equality issues. I've been part of it because I think it's very important that everyone in the world gets the same opportunities.
I think a lot of people think about yeah, when women start talking about equality they think about feminism, and I think it's not the right approach. It's not about that all. It's just about giving everyone equal opportunities, and then everyone can make their choices in life.
Doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman. If we look around the world, there are some countries that give same opportunities, but there are a lot countries where women don't have the same opportunities and they cannot make their choices and cannot get education, play some sport if they want to.
I think it is very bad. Because overall, sport activities or education, it develops a person. Overall, it will help the whole international community. I was just part of it, and hopefully we can do some better things in the future.

Q. Do you know much about when Billie Jean played the Battle of the Sexes with Bobby Riggs?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah.

Q. Really wasn't to show that a woman tennis player can play with a guy tennis player, which is not easy, but .
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, it is definitely not easy. You know, I think it is a funny thing to do, but overall I think it is a little bit stupid to compare men to women in sport. We just know there are physiological differences.
I never heard Usain Bolt say, Come on, I can run better than Marion Jones. She cannot run. You know, I think it's a little bit stupid to compare female tennis players to male tennis players, especially when guys start comparing themselves.
I mean, if they want to go and compete against girls, of course they can go and do it. But I think we have to be respectful to each other. We all work very hard and try to do our best. If you look at any sport, you know, as long as you have personalities in sport and as long as the sport brings excitement to the public, I think it is great.
And no matter who's doing it, who's playing the sport, girls or guys, I think it's great. It's a great effort to all the players in all the sports.

·
Registered
112,702 Posts

John Sommers Ii/Reuters
Vera Zvonareva at the Cincinnati Open this summer.

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/29/for-zvonareva-a-tropical-storm-is-no-obstacle/?smid=tw-NYTStraightSets&seid=auto

Vera Zvonareva, the No. 2 seed in the women’s draw at the United States Open, will be talking with Straight Sets about her experiences throughout the tournament. On Sunday, Zvonareva, who is 26 and was born in Moscow, spoke about what she does to prepare to play; she will face Stephanie Foretz Gacon on Monday at Louis Armstrong Stadium.
In the off-season, you train much more. During the season, when you play a lot of matches, you have to stay in shape but you can’t do too much because you want to be fresh for your tournament. This is not the time to do hard work but to use your time to prepare yourself.
It was a bit of an unusual weekend — they closed the tennis center at 5 p.m. Saturday and it was closed Sunday. Usually I would go play some tennis but on Sunday we couldn’t. We just decided to go to the gym and do my regular warm-up routine. There are some regular exercises I have to do. We did some footwork and some movements with the racket — swings without the ball — and stretching, of course. I stretch a lot. I would say 20 minutes after each workout is part of my routine. I do general stretching mostly for the whole body, and my lower body, my left hamstring, thighs, upper body.

There are injuries I also have to manage: just general management like a little problem with my back, sometimes with my shoulders, sometimes with my hip.
It took about two hours Sunday. We didn’t push too hard.
I try to follow a healthy diet. I am avoiding fried food, fast food at all times. I like fish a lot, and chicken. You want to make sure you get enough carbohydrates and also protein. I try not to eat too much pasta; I prefer rice.
I like to sleep a lot and I need a lot of sleep. Seven, eight hours is not enough — a minimum of 9 or 10 hours is better.
I don’t spend too much time watching videos of other players. I remember my matches in the past and I am aware of how each player plays.
I don’t do something special before my matches but I do always have my iPod on — energetic music, something fast. Rihanna is on my playlist, Linkin Park, Nickelback, Bruno Mars, some Russian artists like Agatha Christie.
I have to be at the tennis center Monday morning at 9:30, and I booked a court to warm up. After I warm up, I take a shower, I put my clothes on, I can even fall asleep. I can just wake up in one second, and I do some footwork drills and I’m ready to go.

·
Registered
633 Posts

I translate it from portuguese to english using Google, so there can be some mistakes.

Growing market and open to investment, potential for growth in the number of female tennis fans, promoters and success experienced in performing international sporting events. Government support and national federation are also important. It was based on the above characteristics that the WTA chose Istanbul, Turkey, to carry out their WTA Championship, an event that brings together the eight players who totaled more points in the season. From Monday, the Turkish city will see Caroline Wozniacki, Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka, Petra Kvitova, Vera Zvonareva, Samantha Stosur, Na Li and Agnieszka Radwanska.
In a few years, however, may be Brazil receiving the same event. Who speaks is not a local politician wanting to appear, but the president of the WTA, Stacey Allaster, who answered questions GLOBOESPORTE.COM by e-mail and explained the reasons to perform the WTA Championship in rotation for growth markets. She says it is difficult to bring to Brazil the tournament circuit like many others, but notes that the Championship would be feasible in the country.
- The growth of tennis in strategic markets around the world is a priority for the WTA. Brazil has a market with enormous growth potential and we are watching him. In the current calendar, we still can not include a WTA tournament in Brazil. However, it would be great to take the WTA Championship, a perfect way to have the crème de la crème of women's tennis in this wonderful country. We are waiting for opportunities to take the WTA markets like Brazil in the future.
Istanbul has a contract to host the event year-end 2013, and there is nothing set in relation to the seat next. Brazil is in favor of not requiring a great tennis player's home. Turkey, for example, has only two players in the top 300 - and Çağla Büyükakçay Pemra Ozgen - and a man among world's top 100. Here, the numbers are identical: Vivian Segnini Vaisemberg and Roxane in the top 300 and top 100 in Thomaz Bellucci.

Headquarters of the World Championship in 2010 will receive the
WTA Championship this year (Getty Images)
Opportunity for growth
Hosting an event of this size is a great chance to generate more interest in the sport and create a new generation of players - something that Brazil needs. In the case of Istanbul, the Turkish federation has from time to leverage this mode. By e-mail, the organization's president, Ayda Uluc, emphasizes that the groundwork will be key.
- I believe that if we build a strong system for children, our shoes have no further problems. One of our purposes is to make shoes for everyone. Once everyone has the same chance to play, our mission is complete. In the Turkish federation, our goal is to take the sport across the country. If children begin to play early, we have built the foundations to make the sport grow.
Potential for Turkey is not lacking. Allaster points out that the WTA has done market research and discovered that the country is the greatest female tennis spectators in the world. In addition, 55% of respondents said they were going to tennis tournaments if Turkey based more important events - today there are only small tournament in the country.
The WTA Championship will house the Sinan Erdem Dome, the same gym that received the World Championship in 2010. This time, however, the site will have the top ring closed. Instead of 16 000 places in the orange ball, tennis will be 7000. Thus, there is no risk of having matches with the empty gym. Uluc Second, almost all tickets were sold out a month in advance. The leader is content with the growth of interest in tennis in the country.
- Now, the Turkish tennis has become as important as volleyball and basketball. The media attention in national meets and is much easier to find sponsors now - he points out.

Ayda Uluc, Turkish federation president, wants to see
tennis grow in the country (Getty Images)
In fact, the event which starts on Monday has partners in weight. The main one is TEB-BNP Paribas, Turkish arm of French bank that sponsors major tournaments like Roland Garros and Masters 1000 Indian Wells and Rome. Rolex, traditional watch manufacturer, was another brand that helped bring the tournament to Istanbul.
Zvonareva happy with Turkey trip
The holding out of the WTA Championship Tennis traditional markets like New York, Paris, London or Madrid appeals to players. By telephone, Russian Vera Zvonareva stressed that Doha (Qatar), seat of the tournament last season, has really benefited by the event.
- I think that Istanbul has great potential. The Turkish people love sports in general. Volleyball and football are sports too large. They already have a tradition in the sport. I think that's the difference between Turkey and Doha, in a certain way. In Qatar, they only follow football. The other sports are poorly developed. The WTA Championship there was one of the biggest events in the region and I think it brought attention to tennis. Many children began to play. Hard to say, but I hope that we have influenced a good way to Doha. I hope to bring tennis to Istanbul to make the sport grow a lot in the country. Many children can begin to play. You will not see immediately, but maybe in some years have more players coming out of Turkey - Russia said beauty.
Zvonareva also said that even if Brazil will not receive a match coming up, I would like to visit Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. Its passage was only in 2002 when Costa do Sauipe (BA) still host a women's tournament and still made his Russian debut in the top 50. She had to play the qualifying and did not reach the primary key.
- Visit Brazil is one of my dreams. I went to Bahia a long, long time and only for two days. I can not remember anything. I would love to play tennis there. It would be an excellent opportunity for me to see the country and promote tennis. In 2002 he was a very short trip. I arrived in the United States at night, I played the next morning, I lost the match and came away a day later. I want to go to Sao Paulo to Rio and I'm sure the country is very beautiful.

·
Registered
50,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/OffCourtNews/Read/0,,12781~2492962,00.html

Vera Zvonareva

On being one of the veterans of the field...

"It's a bit scary to think I'm one of the more experienced players out there. It seems like I'm not that young anymore. When I qualified for the Championships for the first time, in LA, I was overwhelmed. The attention I was getting made it hard to focus on one match at a time. But the whole atmosphere and the feeling of being one of the best players of the whole world, it's so special. The best advice I can give is just enjoy this moment because you never know if you'll get another chance to play the Championships. That's the mindset I go into it with because I've been there a few times and know how tough it is."

·
пьяная в
64,978 Posts

Because she's too cute :sobbing: I imagine her as a schoolgirl, it must have been totally adorable :awww: :hearts:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Because she's too cute :sobbing: I imagine her as a schoolgirl, it must have been totally adorable :awww: :hearts:
Ah, i see. Yeah, i bet Vera was super adorable as a school girl, not that she isn't now. If only we had gone to school together, i could have tried to go out with her. :hehehe: :yeah:

21 - 40 of 126 Posts