Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Vera.

She's cute, she's fiesty, she's got attitude.
Well..sometimes too much

Zvonareva:

Her mental is a question mark after blowing some big leads, but that happens to everyone at some point in their career.

What I like most is that unlike some of her compatriots, she has no GLARING weakness.

She doesnt have the biggest serve, or the hardest groundstrokes, but she does everything well.

And that Crosscourt backhand is a beauty.

She's been injured, and decided to take some time off.
Smart.

But she has relatively little to defend till Indian Wells.
When is she going to get into the Top 10?
She's #11 in the race. And she just turned 19.

Top 5 is a stretch, but she can be a solid Chanda Rubin type player.

Petrova:

Much like Zvonareva, doesn't move that well, but everything is great.
Her head is question mark, but she has the fundamentals.
Love that first serve, but it needs to go in to be effective.
She's 12 in the race, also decided to take some time off.
Wasn't she in the 100's last year? That means little points to defend.

Top 5 is a stretch, doesn't move well enough. But like Zvonareva, can be a solid top 10er.

So when are they going to hit the top 10? And will they be able to break the Russian barrier and make that big step?

Oh, and whatever happened to Elena Bovina?

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Nadia just needs to defend little points from last year for the remainder of this year. She has everything to gain! Nadia just needs to have a sports therapist like Justine had.;)

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Vera is solid enough to make Top 10. Good mover, solid shots with a fair bit of power. She can be aggressive, but against the top players, she can be a bit defensive. An 8-10 player IMO.

Nadia: Great power in her serve, groundstrokes, but does not move very well, similar to Lindsay, Hantuchova. Again an 8-10 player.

What both girls have as a glaring weakness is their mental strength. They can go off the boil and lose focus rapidly. Honing that area would only improve their performances.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
actually vera does move quite well especially on clay. i agree that she is more of a rubin type player.

nadia doesn't move all that well but i don't see why it should stop her from being in the top 5. davenport can't move that well and she is top 5 and after a shakey start at the us open she did give davenport a tough match. but she is a bit to inconsistent at the moment if anything will stop her from being top 5 it will be her inconsistency and her mental barrier against top 5 players. it's quite funny actually at RG when she made that semi-final run the commentators were saying how well she moves. she moves ok from side to side but noting special and going forward is definately not her thing so i wonder what they meant.

bovina she's pretty damn good. she could work on movement and the serve and a bit mentally and she is streaky and inconsistent but when she's on she has the game to hurt the top players and i meant the top 5 players.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Yes, of course Vera will make the top 10, I'm not too sure about Petrova though.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
They don't have a lot of time. Safina and Sharapova are doing better at 16 and 17 than Vera or Nadia at that age. In 2005, those two will be pushing the top ten. But next year, Conchi, Mary Pierce and Monica will all be making what's probably their last runs at the top ten. Very tough competition. And Dani's still ranked #12.

Petrova won't make it. She'll stall out aroudn #12. Zvonareva will make it, just barely, in April of 2005,and will quickly be supplanted by Sharapova.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Volcana said:
They don't have a lot of time. Safina and Sharapova are doing better at 16 and 17 than Vera or Nadia at that age. In 2005, those two will be pushing the top ten. But next year, Conchi, Mary Pierce and Monica will all be making what's probably their last runs at the top ten. Very tough competition. And Dani's still ranked #12.

Petrova won't make it. She'll stall out aroudn #12. Zvonareva will make it, just barely, in April of 2005,and will quickly be supplanted by Sharapova.
So we have the same feeling yeah? Petrova seems a lil slow, and her tempo doesn't go up when it gets intense, rather it stays the same.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i don't know about safina, everyone has always told me she has top 10 talent and going on results i thought she did but when i saw her against henin at the us open this year i don't think she does. it's more her technique that i'm worried about. her service motion is very bad her serve should be much bigger for someone her size. now you are all saying she's young and will get stronger but it isn't about strength, the problem is her service motion. if she doesn't fix the serve then i doubt she'll ever get to the top 10. i think she also needs to add a bit more pep to her groundies to go with the top players.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,207 Posts
Volcana said:

Trademark Volcana's BS.

Kournikova was doing at 16 better than any of the above. Where is Kournikova? Lina K. was considered to be the most talented of the second Russian wave. She is gradually progressing, but still struggling. Early success guarantees nothing. Vera Zvonareva is a perfect example of gradual step-by-step development of a top player. At no significantly long period she was doing worse than before. Steady well-prepared progress. Vera will make it to LA as alternate and will be Top 10 at year
end.

Nadya will be Top 10 next year.

I would agree that Safina has tons of prospective. Simply because she is coached by her mother - a coach with 20+ years experience and doing pretty much like Vera. No revolutions, no big breakthroughs - steady, steady progress.

Sharapova still looks a very underdeveloped player. Until she is coached by someone _serious_ and until she develops some tactical skills, her results will like that - "winning some, losing some". With her current game she is a meghan shaugnessy at best.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Everyone progresses at their own pace. Nadia was injured for most of the season last year, in which she could've made the top 10 than. Nadia has the weapons to get there, she just needs the mentality.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
lina k was also injured for a lot of last season.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,207 Posts
Gowza said:
lina k was also injured for a lot of last season.
yes, but don't you think there could be a ling between starting too early and later being injury-prone.

Lina started very early. Nadya started very early too. I would not even mention Hingis or Kournikova in this context. In opposite, later bloomer Henin is enjoying pretty much injury-free career so far. So is Zvonareva.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,207 Posts
Martian KC said:
Everyone progresses at their own pace. Nadia was injured for most of the season last year, in which she could've made the top 10 than. Nadia has the weapons to get there, she just needs the mentality.
To succeed in this business a player needs to be strong in two dimensions of mentality.

First dimension, a mental toughness of a wrestler, when you apply power, and so does your opponent, and it is power agaisnt power, who cracks first. Most of Russian players have it, so do Nadya and Vera.

Second dimension, a mental toughness of a street fighter, when things can go wrong or different way at any possible second. Tennis-wise - your opponent can hit a hot streak, or ref can overrule against you time after time, or bad calls, or bad netcords - i.e. things not going well not because you are doing something wrong, but due to other reasons, and you have to hold you nerve, not get frustrated and react positiviely. That's something Nadya and Vera really lack.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I don't know what Nadya Petrova you guys are watching. Nadya drills the ball off both groundstrokes, can volley and moves terrificly for her size. She moves FAR better than Davenport. And she's definitely got the "street fighter" mentality. She's a bitch, bigtime. A Top 5 type bitch who wouldn't be afraid to win a GS title if one came her way.

Volcana's post is a year behind the times, because Conchi, Pierce, and Seles are not going to be making any more runs at the Top Ten, they are all FINISHED (especially Pierce) and will never smell the top echelon again. So Nadya and Vera have a good chance to move into the Top 10 by the Aussy Open if not sooner. There is some dead wood in there right now, Rubin and Myskina don't really belong there.

Nadya and Vera are both young and could stay at the top for a long time. The fact that there are two Russians even younger than they are, is irrelevant.

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
vera is one of my faves but if she attacks a little more, it would be nice. nadia's lateral movement if fine but has trouble moving forward. hope vera makes the top 10 first.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
vogus said:
Volcana's post is a year behind the times, because Conchi, Pierce, and Seles are not going to be making any more runs at the Top Ten, they are all FINISHED (especially Pierce) and will never smell the top echelon again.
If you want to count out Monica, you go right ahead. Healthy, she's still one of the eight best in the world.

Conchita Martinez is currently 84 points out of the #10 ranking. I'd call that a 'making a run at the top ten', thank you.

10 RUS 1702.00 Anastasia Myskina
11 BUL 1685.00 Magdalena Maleeva
12 SVK 1621.00 Daniela Hantuchova
13 ESP 1616.00 Conchita Martinez

There are a lot of new faces coming along. The old faces ain't leavin'.

If you figure Lindsay to retire after OZ, these top ten spots look locked up. Venus, Serena, JH2, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Capriati.

Are Zvonareva and Petrova going to be better than Rubin, Myskina, Dementieva, Hantuchova, Martinez, Maleeva, all much more experienced players with previous top ten experience.

The going's about to get muddy for both of them in terms of ranking advancement.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Volcana has a point.

There really is only 2 or 3 spots available in the top 10.

Chanda Rubins, Anastasia Myskina's, and Elena Dementievas.

Dementieva is starting to play like a top 10 player.
So that leaves Myskina and Chanda Rubin.

Monica Seles, when healthy, is one of the best players in the world. Look at last years first 6 months, she was a Wimbledon away from the #1 ranking.

But they dont have to worry about her untill Summer.

Zvonareva will make the top 10 sometime by the end of the year i suspect.

Petrova? Thats a push as shes not as mentally tough as some of those ahead of her.

As for Safina, she won a title at 15. She has an experienced coach and she seems to be entering tournaments where she can win matches. Against H2H, she was in every point, but her movement and her ability to finish them off was the problem. Also she came back from 0-6 0-5.

As for Sharapova, shes already in the top 50. Also dont forget Douchevina and Kirilenko, who CHALLENGED Mauresmo. Also she didnt make a ton of errors.

Year-End Top 10
1. Justine
2. Kim

*3. Venus Williams
*4. Serena Williams

5. Elena Dementieva
6. Jennifer Capriati
7. Amelie Mauresmo
*8. Lindsay Davenport

9. Vera Zvonareva
10. Chanda Rubin

*Question Marks

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I think Nadia and Vera will both get there, either end of this year or start of next year. I think Bovina will get there sometime too, she looked headed for the top 10 at the beginning of this year but went into a slump. If she can string together a year of good results next year I'd expect her to be top 10 by the end of 2004.

·
Premium Member
182,035 Posts
mmcdonald said:
Volcana has a point.

There really is only 2 or 3 spots available in the top 10.

Chanda Rubins, Anastasia Myskina's, and Elena Dementievas.

Dementieva is starting to play like a top 10 player.
So that leaves Myskina and Chanda Rubin.

Monica Seles, when healthy, is one of the best players in the world. Look at last years first 6 months, she was a Wimbledon away from the #1 ranking.
a week in tennis is long
a year is eternity........ Seles might be back but i don't see her getting anywhere near back to Top 10 especially the way she is (age-wise too)

Nadya will make Top 10 sometime in early 2004.
Vera probably likewise.

who knows if Lindsay is going to carry on after her op ??

tennis is for ever changing, if it wasn't we'd still have Conchita and Amanda in Top 5

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
It's too hard to call. A fit Seles is top 8 no question but whether she gets fit or wants to stick around long enough to lodge herself back in the top 8 that's another story.

I see Petrova sticking around the 11 - 16 range. Not because she isn't talented enough to go further but because if Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Justine, Kim, Jenny, Amelie, Chanda and even Elena Dementieva play at their best levels next season I don't see them letting her past. Zvonareva could dip inside thetop 10 with a good early hard and clay season but I don't see her sticking around in the top 10.

Bovina has been ther biggest disappointment this year. She was looking set for a major run in 2003 and hasn't been up to the challenge.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts