Tennis Forum banner

Vera won 100 points.....87 of Venus unforced errors.

1K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  DA FOREHAND 
#1 ·
Fuck this shit.....Godamnit.

#2 ·
I betcha Vera doesn't care about this stat.

#6 ·
The point is Vera still had to keep the ball in play and let Venus make the errors and Venus gladly made the errors...

I'm not so upset over this loss...Now Venus has three weeks to get ready for Wimbledon...and rest her abdominals...

What I'm mad about are her errors...at least if u are going to let people beat you, let them beat you with winners...Vera won that second set and only hit 2 winners...

Even in the third Venus had 3 BP's for 4-2 and she threw in a string of errors...at 4-4 in the third she had a 40-0 lead and got broken with another string of errors...

Obviously she needs to adjust the grip on her forehand, no way its technically sound and breaks down so much...

#8 ·
Here's the funny thing about the stats in this match. When you add the winners and the ue's you come up with the total points for both players. This would mean that there were NO forced errors in the match. If you all believe that.... I've got some nice land in Florida to sell you.

The ue stats have been bogus this entire tournament.

#9 ·
I knew it would come to this, and I had a feeling that Vera could cause the upset. She is good on clay, and she took a set off of rena here last year.

IMO, this match was decided by the amount of errors Venus made. She has been shaky throughout this whole tournament, and I just knew it would catch up too her especially on clay.

You cannot take anything away from Vera, she won it Venus lost because of poor form, lack of practice, and the injury had something to do with her preparation.

Good win for Vera though. She will get alot of points for this win.

#10 ·
starr said:
Here's the funny thing about the stats in this match. When you add the winners and the ue's you come up with the total points for both players. This would mean that there were NO forced errors in the match. If you all believe that.... I've got some nice land in Florida to sell you.

The ue stats have been bogus this entire tournament.
this is absolutely correct. i'm betting at least half of the errors attributed to both were forced.

#11 ·
I hope Venus loses 1r at Wimbledon...she needs some damn sense shocked into her =(

#12 ·
They are not counting the errors right.

They are wrong for all matches (too high).

I was watching the last two sets and at least 2/3 of the errors were forced (for both players). Venus made a lot of unforced errors, but not THAT much. Not more than she makes in her average match (when she's not playing her best). I would say they were 40 - 50 maximum (but at least around 35). Vera made very little unforced errors - she played almost perfect.

#13 ·
The UE count is meaningless at this tournament. The other point about Venus's errors was that many were induced by Vera's variety and her strategy of seeking out and relentlessly pursuing a weakness. Its Vera's relentless targetted attack on it as well as Venus's fh errors. Venus may not be brilliant at present but she was up against someone who looked as if she watched a lot of Hingis as a youngster and added height, a stronger serve, more power and speed.

#15 ·
Yeah, Vera's favorite player is/was Martina ;) :D

#16 ·
Luci said:
If you think 87 UFEs was all caused by Veras raquet, than stop smoking the crack.
I could believe 47. I don't think you understand. the 87 figure is wrong. That lumps the forced errors and the unforced errors together and they are far from the same thing.

my take on the match is that Venus could've gotten away with that form against most opposition, but Vera played well enough to burn her.

#18 ·
1st point> They count forced errors as UF's in Rolland Garros, so Venus fans should not knock her down.

2nd> Vera played the wrong footer to perfection on a lot of points. YES Venus did throw the last game away.

#19 ·
In the interview, I think it was Collins who mentioned unforced errors and put the number at 75. However, I have seen Venus win matches where she had that many errors. This girl made Venus pay for the errors and normally her opponents don't do that.

I do think that this is one of the few times that Venus has seemed "rusty" after a long layoff. She said she needed to play more matches. But, that begs the question of how she might manage to do that unless she enters more tournaments.

#20 ·
starr said:
In the interview, I think it was Collins who mentioned unforced errors and put the number at 75. However, I have seen Venus win matches where she had that many errors. This girl made Venus pay for the errors and normally her opponents don't do that.

I do think that this is one of the few times that Venus has seemed "rusty" after a long layoff. She said she needed to play more matches. But, that begs the question of how she might manage to do that unless she enters more tournaments.
On French television they said 59 UFE's for Venus, so 28 forced, not that it matters though, as it takes more than just power to win matches on clay and Venus just isn't in form anymore.

#21 ·
What does it really matter anyway...Vera aimed to Vee's FH hoping for the errors and Venus obliged...its not Vera's fault that she only had to hit 13winners to win a three set match...You have to commend her for keeping it close and taking advantage of the dismal performance by Venus...

#22 ·
Nice try, Joshua

#23 ·
I wonder how many people here watched the match. I did, and even though I wanted Venus to win, I have to say Vera earned this match. I don't know what's the deal with the statistics, but Vera played a good, brave match.

#24 ·

She was rusty because she was coming off an injury that didn't allow her start training until a week before the french open not because of lack of match play. At all previous time she was training when she wasn't playing any warm-ups.

I believe that made the difference.

#25 ·
I'll go w/Bud's 75 ue's. Venus still had an opp. to win this match, and failed to convert those chances. Her play was abysmal, and Vera played well, picking on the Venus forehand.

Venus played a very up and down match, and it seemed her confidence went up and down. She didn't take advantage of short or floaty balls, and didn't come to the net nearly enough. That said, Vera played a smart scrappy match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.