Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone noticed how much it has improved over the last 6 months? i was watching a repeat of the wimbledon final and every call that went against her, she didn't bat an eyelid, carried on and won the next point. i was so impressed and i think it will only benefit her for 2002. capriati on the other hand, started the year in good spirits and got wound up more and more at the slightest little thing - maybe thats the pressure of being a champion, but venus on court these days is serene! (pun) why the change guys?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Cause she is more confident now than before. Venus has matured :) That's why :D

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Venus has come a long way and these days, with the way she speaks of her rivals and her game, I think that she has become a very worthy champion.

Likewise for Jennifer.

Of course, both have said or done things in the past year that has lead them to be criticized, but it's a new year and a new season so it's a new start.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
yeah Venus has got a better attitude now.very happy about that.i might start liking her.which is very good ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, her attitude has definitely improved over the last year, she seems more focused on her game and winning than about stupid line calls or the behaviour of her opponent or whatever...which is great :)

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I truly love watching Venus play. She's totally in the zone with her "game face". Before 2000 you could see the emotions running riot on her face when she played, much like serena, but Venus put that in check, which I think is one of the keys to her mental toughness nowadays.

In regards to her comments about other players I find that too to be gracious, but really not neccessary. In the past Venus never spoke ill of any player, I went back and reread earlier interviews from 97, 98 and 99 and she was engrossed in her own game and performance not the person on the other side of the net. Yes its nice to see a player being complimentary, but I don't think its a requirement. What gets my goat is the negative stuff that players say that really just amounts to sour grapes, like Everett and Grafs comments when Zina trounced them in that open a few years back.

Then again, there's nothing wrong with some trash talking before a match. I mean basketball players, hockety players, football players have been doing it for years, so why not in tennis?

cyb:wavey:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Venus' attitude has ALWAYS been exemplary. It's good that in 2002 you have come to recognize the truth. Jennifer, on the other hand, is a lost cause. Obviously she hasn't learned that it's as important to be a sport when you lose as when you win. She will continue to get upset with line calls, cursing the chair umpire, screaming at the camera people, and being irritated by any noise made by fans. Why? Because she is emotionally unstable and knows a true CHAMPION she is NOT!!!

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
I dunno, but I prefer 1997 and 1998 Venus to the one now! Back then, she seemed to be more into her matches (the way she snapped during her 1998 wimbledon QF match vs. Novotna was classic!) but now she shows little emotion... i'm afraid she's turning into a robot. Plus, she played more back then ;) I know it's hard to believe but I was a Venus fan at one time. Unfortunately I can't relate to her anymore.

BRING BACK THE BEADS, VENUS!

:)

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
she's got great attitude on the court.

now if only she would just turn up ... :rolleyes:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
:p!

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I never had a problem with Venus' attitude, but it's true that she does seem much calmer on court now & that has helped her win matches.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that maybein a couple more years, serena will be the same, and then they really will be unstoppable! uh - oh!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Venus's after match interview with Sue Barker at Wimbledon showed her class and her maturity. Her comments to Henin were genuine and not merely an afterthought. B4 that I didn't think her capable of such nice words about players apart from her sister.

Easy - love the Debbie Gibson pic..... Foolish Beat is my fave Gibson song, closely follwed by Electric Youth!!! have it on 7inch album!

Vanity - Being a fan of Candian tennis would you know what happened to Helen Kelesi, top Candian in the late 80's early 90's. I know she had a brain tumour but any news after that?? Her feirce on-court attitude rivalled McEnroe's tantrums and I always got a laugh seeing her play! Can you help?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'm in AGREEMENT with cybelledarkholmexx!!

Powerful post! cybelledarkholmexx!!

Just GREAT!

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
louloubelle: Helen Kelesi attempted a comeback to tennis in early 1997... she had played a few challenger tournaments but then around June 97 they discovered yet ANOTHER brain tumor. :( She had planned to return again at the Quebec City tournament in September 1997, but it never happened and she ended up retiring for good. Apparently she now works at a club (i remember people writing Jon Werthless saying they got lessons from her), and she's also involved in devevloping young tennis talent in Canada. She was also writing columns for a newspaper in BC (can't remember which one now)
As for her fiery on-court attitude, that's where she got the name "Hurrican Helen" ;)
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
hi louloubelle :kiss:

Foolish Beat is a really cool song!
And I've always found Electric Youth really meaningful too :)
then of course there's Lost In Your Eyes :bounce:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The TRUTH Pouring Forth!

Great Post theultimateone!!
Keep it coming!!
The truth will set the captive free now!!! Lmao!:p

·
Registered
462 Posts
Venus has always had a great attitude.

I agree with Vanity, Venus was more entertaining when she wore her emotions on her sleeve.

I'm watching the 99 Wimbledon quarterfinal between her and Graf, and looking at her face it seemed she was on the verge of tears the whole match. She was trying so hard.

There is this point at 2-3 down in the second set where she hit a volley long, and the shriek she gave out was heart-breaking, yet funny in retrospect.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I prefer Venus now but if she brought back the silver (Judy Jetson) outfit from her early days then I may change my mind!

Vanity - thanx for the Kelesi info, just what I was after :kiss:

Easy - seeing your pic I have sung Debbie Gibson all day at work... no one knew what I was singing of course. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts