Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated: 09:26 AM EDT

Williams sisters skipping Fed Cup; Navratilova, Rubin, Raymond, Craybas chosen

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) - Serena and Venus Williams will skip the U.S. Fed Cup team's quarterfinal against Austria next month, with Martina Navratilova, Chanda Rubin, Lisa Raymond and Jill Craybas on the team announced Wednesday.

"According to the ranking the Americans are still the favorites, but without Venus Williams they are certainly not as strong. If my girls reach top form anything is possible," Austrian captain Alfred Tesar told The Associated Press in Vienna.

Venus Williams lost in the second round at Wimbledon last week, while Serena reached the semifinals by beating Jennifer Capriati 6-1, 6-1 Wednesday.

Rubin was knocked out in the first round at the All England Club, while Navratilova played singles there for the first time in a decade and reached the second round.

Navratilova and Raymond are playing doubles together at Wimbledon.

Craybas, 30, never has played Fed Cup.

Austria's squad for the July 10-11 matches in Innsbruck is Barbara Schett, Barbara Schwartz, Patricia Wartusch and Sybille Bammer.

06/30/04 09:24 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press

I think this is a smart thing for Venus to do and a good sign. This is going to be played on clay and the hardcourt season starts a week from next Monday and if she wants to be a factor, she needs to practice on hard courts.

·
49,001 Posts
Doesn't sound like a good sign to me for some reason. Was there some validity to the wrist injury rumor?

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,960 Posts
After this betrayal Americans are toast.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
justinhosbey said:
Doesn't sound like a good sign to me for some reason. Was there some validity to the wrist injury rumor?
I know there was a rumor to that effect, but if that was true, I think she would have withdrawn from the Bank of the West tournament that starts the Monday after Fed Cup and she is still on the webiste as a participant.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,233 Posts
Patricia! :hearts: Craybas? Did Meggy opt out this time *remembers last year's FedCup Semi/Final* Good choice Megs ;)

·
Banned
5,063 Posts
It's not a surprise... The schedule is totally crazy with the Olympics, it's simply too much to ask to play Wimbledon / Fed Cup / 1 or 2 tournement preparation for the Olympics / The Olympics / the US Open.

They have to make a choice.

And honestly, it's kinda hard to say you don't want to play Fed Cup (even worst when it's right before the Olympics) so they didn't really have a choice to enter and then withdraw.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool Canuck said:
It's not a surprise... The schedule is totally crazy with the Olympics, it's simply too much to ask to play Wimbledon / Fed Cup / 1 or 2 tournement preparation for the Olympics / The Olympics / the US Open.

They have to make a choice.

And honestly, it's kinda hard to say you don't want to play Fed Cup (even worst when it's right before the Olympics) so they didn't really have a choice to enter and then withdraw.
Venus and Serena are scheduled to play three tournaments before the Olympics.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Venus was crazy even to think about playing fed cup. Good sign that she wants to focus on the hardcourt season

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Not really surprised. Olympics and hc season plus US Open... pssffttt...

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lasagna & donuts said:
Marissa would have been a better choice.
Meghann or Laura would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Actually I was waiting for this to sort of confirm that Venus injured her wrist. I thought that if she pulled out of FedCup it would be an indication of whether the rumours were true. It was an unsubstantiated rumour, and it still is by Venus, but the Press' insistence that she had one was weird, IMO.

She was continuously asked how her wrist was at WImby and she insited it was fine. In her final interview she was still asked even though she had already given SPrem all the credit for winning, and still she insisted it was fine. I kept wondering why they hadn't let up yet on that issue. Now I really do believe there 'is' an issue.

I don't think Venus would have pulled out of FedCup otherwise. Yes, she's stinging from her early loss at Wimby but she knew long beforehand what the schedule was so she was prepared to make the transition at such short notice. I believe Venus' wrist is an issue and if it is I hope she can get well in time to play her upcoming schedule.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
12,085 Posts
I love you Venus :hearts:. You will one and foever remain my one true love :kiss:. Let's rock this summer baby :).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts