Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VENUS wins her first round match over Reeves 6-2, 6-4.
Not an easy win, but for VENUS when is anything ever easy?

Congrats VENUS!!

Reactions: Amanda

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
Congrats to her but she better pull it together fast- i realize she hasn't played for a while but....

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
This would have been a perfect day for an upset for her if she played an opponent that wasn't so bad on her own serve. Venus got through, but she'll need to lift her game many many levels to go very far. I was not at all impressed with her serving, the only thing to save her was Reeves double faulted all over the place.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’m happy for Vee but when did she stop cruising through the first round matches like the other top players do???? Every match seems a straggle for Vee… I don’t think I like it

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
Venus :fiery:

She will go nowhere in this tourney unless she shapes up quickly...Evie probably looked at this match and is deciding right now that she will take it to Venus real hard on Thurs...

·
Registered
730 Posts
ugly match by venus, The serve was horrid...i know she was injured but to have any chance of winning this slam she needed to make an improvement on it and she clearly hasn't becuase her 2nd serve speed average was slower than reeves...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Nice win Vee :)
But please pull it together and work a bit on some things, I don't want to see a second round loss.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Yes, Venus got through, but...!!!

:) Venus' first match was exactly what I expected, after not having played any matches for awhile, however, she did play well when she had to, and that's a good thing. Especially the 10th game, second set, showed what you can expect from Venus once she gets her "clay feet", so to speak. She was also beginning to "move" better as the match wore on, and though, not where I had hope she would be, her level of play should get better with each match.

Gooooooo VeeeeeNUUSSSS...!!! "WIN THE DAMN THANG"...!!!

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
lala said:
I’m happy for Vee but when did she stop cruising through the first round matches like the other top players do???? Every match seems a straggle for Vee… I don’t think I like it
I don't recall a time when Venus ever cruised early goings. She always gets rust out early matches in Slams. Even Wimbledon 2000/2001 she struggled.

As long as she gets better each round.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
as far as im concerned, for the first few matches i dont care how she plays just as long as she gets through

who would want to see her win 1 and 0 for the first few matches etc then lose in the fourth round? :confused:

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
She plays Evie next...

Evie is as volatile as Venus...it will be interesting to see the two of them going at it

·
Registered
730 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
I don't recall a time when Venus ever cruised early goings. She always gets rust out early matches in Slams. Even Wimbledon 2000/2001 she struggled.

As long as she gets better each round.

I personally don't care about the scoreline..venus has lost 4 slam finals in row primarily due to her 2nd serve which is just horrid compared to most of the top10 and i thought she might somehow have changed it and improved it...However it was the same and will get punished by any half decent played...and thats what i'm concerned about...

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
villa said:
I personally don't care about the scoreline..venus has lost 4 slam finals in row primarily due to her 2nd serve which is just horrid compared to most of the top10 and i thought she might somehow have changed it and improved it...However it was the same and will get punished by any half decent played...and thats what i'm concerned about...
Perhaps in terms of doubles, her second serve is weak. But check out the other top players--in 1st RD in Paris

Serena
Winning % of 2nd serve
10 of 17 = 59 %
Average 2nd serve speed
126 km/h

Mauresmo
Winning % of 2nd serve
8 of 16 = 50 %
Average 2nd serve speed
128 km/h

Henin-Hardenne
Winning % on 2nd serve
13 of 28 = 46 %
Average 2nd serve speed
132 km/h

Rubin
Winning % on 2nd serve
13 of 25 = 52 %
Average 2nd serve speed
112 km/h

Capriati
Winning % on 2nd serve
10 of 23 = 43 %
Average 2nd serve speed
137 km/h

Venus
Winning % on 2nd serve
9 of 25 = 36 %
Average 2nd serve speed
131 km/h

Davenport
Winning % on second serve
11 of 18 = 61 %
Average 2nd serve speed
133 km/h

Clijsters
Winning % on 2nd serve
13 of 20 = 65 %
Average 2nd serve speed
132 km/h

Conclusion:
While Venus has one of the lowest [if not the lowest] winning %, she also has one of the highest average 2nd serve speed. I think the "myth" that Venus has a bad second serve, is just that...a myth. She is going for more on her second serve then most, and thus misses. I think the media has said Venus' second serve is shaky and thus everyone attacks it, and jumps to the conclusion that it's bad...when in fact no one--except maybe Kim and Lindsay, had good winning %'s--and the other gals weren't going for as much as Venus was on a consistent basis [except Jen, Henin, Kim and Lindsay].

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
This is Venus.. she may win ugly but she will win.

·
Premium Member
20,736 Posts
I'm glad she was able to dig in her heels when it counted and pull this win out. Given the surface and her lack of play, I wasn't too surprised.

With Venus you never know she can play like this in the next round and be going home, or as each round comes up she can keep raising her game. It all depends.

Best of Luck V

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
That match was soooo ugly. *sigh* I'm glad Venus won but I wanted a more convincing win. When Oracene looks pissed, you know it's a horrible match. Venus netted easy shots and DF. Venus' second serve poorness is not a myth when you look at her # of DF's... and how many first serves she gets in. I thought Billie and Zina helped her serve.

It's like they both forgot the pointers they got from playing Fed Cup... Serena's not coming in and Vee's 2nd serve STILL looks like poo. Step it up, ladies!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Venus won. She usually gets better and stronger after each match.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts