Tennis Forum banner

Is Venus Williams more of a ...

• Flat hitting baseliner

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • A player who uses topspin on most shots to keep them in, while waiting opportunity

Votes: 8 22.2%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A flat hitting baseliner?

Or a player who with most shots with topspin, waiting for opportunity.

I recognize less and less the player I see on court as opposed to some posters descriptions. A fair number of people seem to have seen the Rome semi, so it seems an opportune time to ask the question.

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
Some posters make huge generalisations about her and her game as if they never watched a match of hers. She is very capable of making adjustments. I feel she is capable of so much provided she isn't tired as hell.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
she is both on all occaccions!!

if you notice her forehand and backhand
there are lots of differences between those 2 shots
on CLAY i mEAN!

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
i really dont know why you have to point that out...

of course a hater always needs to point out the worst in Vee...
and you always like to attract the haters attention

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
I know what you mean. I saw some clown yesterday running his mouth about Venus being extremely incapable of playing on clay. She doesn't use angles, doesn't use topspin, doesn't slide or hit behind her opponent to wrong foot them. I almost collapsed in disbelief. She'd been doing all of those things - bar the sliding (she does at time, but not comfortably), during the week. It's not always perfect but she's trying to get better.

Venus is versatile. She can do flat baseline hitting when she needs to, but can also mix it up and wait for oppotunities. Like reeana said though, when Venus is tired as hell is can give a misleading impression :tape:

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
I wish the poll was public though just to see just who is in need of a trip to an optician. ^.^

Reactions: Midnight_Robber

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
I know what you mean. I saw some clown yesterday running his mouth about Venus being extremely incapable of playing on clay. She doesn't use angles, doesn't use topspin, doesn't slide or hit behind her opponent to wrong foot them. I almost collapsed in disbelief. She'd been doing all of those things - bar the sliding (she does at time, but not comfortably), during the week. It's not always perfect but she's trying to get better.

Venus is versatile. She can do flat baseline hitting when she needs to, but can also mix it up and wait for oppotunities. Like reeana said though, when Venus is tired as hell is can give a misleading impression :tape:
i'm also suprised when i read some posts. the first set of the Safina match I thought was extremely well played by Venus bar the odd errors. Unfortunately she dropped to Safina's level for the remainder of the match and we all know how good Safina is at winning while playing poor, or at the very least mediocre, tennis. Heck that's how she got to number 1.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,478 Posts
Yeah, both for sure. I see her hit a lot of very flat shots and I see her hit with topspin too. Sometimes she will do more of one than the other depending on, well, goodness knows what. But it certainly isn't an either/or situation. The style and the quality of Venus's play can vary greatly from one day to the next also.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Vee can mix it up pretty well. I'd say she skews slightly toward the flat-hitting baseliner, but has too complete a game to be pegged as that.

·
Banned
15,803 Posts
Didn't vote because she's capable of both when the occasion arises. This time of year, she definately leans toward being the second option.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i wish she was hitting the ball flatter like she did in the past. now she gives her opponent so much time to get to her shots because she takes pace off and hit with more spin.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Vee can mix it up pretty well. I'd say she skews slightly toward the flat-hitting baseliner, but has too complete a game to be pegged as that.
agreed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts