Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know I am a huge Venus Williams fan. Of course we have seemed to come accustomed to her struggling as of late, in the last few years (post Wimbledon 2003).

But it is as though her season has only lasted primarily during the early part of the season. (Australian to French Open) which of course have been the two events she has never won, nor has she made it past the QF's except in 2003.

I look at her results since 2003 and even during her "crappy" seasons she found her way to do rather well during the US Open series events between Wimbledon & US Open...but because of injuries she did not compete often.

How do you feel about Venus game on the faster surfaces even with the errors? Do you think she is still one of the best players on the faster hard courts and grass?

Here are her results in the last few seasons...between the months of June & August during her "speciality"
2004: 2R @ Wimbledon (Karolina Sprem) *crappy outing
2004: F @ Stanford (Lindsay Davenport)
2004: SF @ Los Angeles (Lindsay Davenport)
2004: 4R @ US Open (Lindsay Davenport)
2005: W @ Wimbledon
2005: F @ Stanford (Kim Clijsters)
2005: QF @ US Open (Kim Clijsters)

she lost to Lindsay Davenport & Kim Clijsters during those season, players whom owned the US Open series.

Do you think it is possible for Venus to pick up 1000+ points if she competes...?

In my opinion Venus is about to enter the part of the season that she can potentially shine & pick up major points...agree?

·
Registered
15,657 Posts
:yeah:

Definitely. Clay is Venus' worst surface. Last year after Wimbledon she couldn't even play because of the wrist. IF she can stay healthy, Venus can pick up big points between Wimbledon and the end of the year. Thats why its foolish for people to write her off.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Anything is possible. But if Venus really wants to pick up points, she has to work on her serve, forehand, and now her fitness(?). I can't believe how tired she was during the third set. I was shocked.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I agree she does need to work on her fitness. Now her serve? I thought her serve was pretty decent. At least until the 3rd set (which I didn't watch) from what I remember she only had one double fault...not to mention on the faster courts her serve becomes more of a weapon.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I think she could go to quarters or so of Wimbledon this year. From there she could do very well at Stanford, (isnt that the only us open series event she plays normally?) and then theres the USO, where she could go far as well. She could probably gather 500-750 points in this period i think.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I really pray that she stays healthy and can play a consistent season from here on out. Her game will keep getting better and she will get her match toughness back, she has really played some crap 3rd sets. In any case, yes, she should pick up a lot of points starting at Wimbledon, and who knows, maybe she could even win the USO series! :hearts:

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
i'll never lose faith in vee..anythings possible with her so lets just wait and see...if she DOES get a rhythm going at wimbly, i would put money on the fact that she'll win US open imagine Serena wiinning AO and RG and vee winning Wimbly and USO? heh

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've pointed out many times that Venus ALMOST never plays with any consistency until summer, ie, Wimby. Thats been her MO.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So since Venus really hasn't played a solid 2nd half of the season since 2002 (with the exception of her billions of losses to Lindsay in 04) she hasn't been a mainstay for the 2nd half of the seasion....her best half...She didn't even play at all after Wimbledon last year...NOTHING but points to gain during that part of the season.

·
Art & Futures
20,925 Posts
:yeah:

Definitely. Clay is Venus' worst surface. Last year after Wimbledon she couldn't even play because of the wrist. IF she can stay healthy, Venus can pick up big points between Wimbledon and the end of the year. Thats why its foolish for people to write her off.
clay isn't her worst surface, rebound ace is. the ball bounces too high, causing her to make more UE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts