Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure, when all is said done, how significant it all is. But ...

pre-ab injury = 1998-2003
post-ab injury = 2004-2009

pre-ab injury 4 slams, 6 slam finals, 29 tours wins
post-ab injury 3 slams, 0 slam finals, 12 tours wins

Four slam singles titles and 29 tour wins overall makes you ... more or less less Hana Mandlikova.
Three slam singles titles and 12 tour wins overall makes you ... more or less less Jennifer Capriati.

Hana Mandlikova + Jennifer Capriati = Venus Williams ?

If only sports translated so smoothly into math.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
:rolls:

On a side note, I must be the only person who thinks that post-abenus is better than pre-abenus. Here's hoping that she proves me right in the next two slams.

·
Registered
26,220 Posts
I dunno, pre ab Venus just seemed way more confident on court than post ab Venus.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
I dunno, pre ab Venus just seemed way more confident on court than post ab Venus.
Agreed about that. But I dunno, shes much more quietly confident now. And if you compare her games at both periods, her technique is 4328093403842 times better, she has much more variety (slices, net rushing, topspin, angles) etc..

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
It has taken Venus YEARS to fully recover from her abdominal and wrist injuries. She returned to play too soon and, as a reult, labored outside the top 10 for way too long.

I applaud Maria Sharapova for taking the time off to allow her shoulder to heal properly. It does nothing for a player's confidence to play while injured, a shadow of themselves, and a tarnish on their brand.

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
Some good points above. Venus post 2003 really for the most part has been a shadow of the player she was. And given the poor memory span of some posters on here, it's made for ridiculous claims and threads relating to Venus' standing in tennis. Truly ridiculous and outrageous claims like Henin > Venus. Insanity :rolleyes: :tape:

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
Some good points above. Venus post 2003 really for the most part has been a shadow of the player she was. And given the poor memory span of some posters on here, it's made for ridiculous claims and threads relating to Venus' standing in tennis. Truly ridiculous and outrageous claims like Henin > Venus. Insanity :rolleyes: :tape:
I think thats up until this year, really. I really think she's turned a corner this year.

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,289 Posts
I agree with one of the above posts that Venus came back too early after injury, especially after her abdominal injury. It was obvious watching her in '04, that she wasn't in optimum condition (she kept getting injured almost weekly), and her serve and forehand were just a shadow of their former self.

She's slowly got her game back, and made a few improvements along the way.

Still Venus of the years 01/02/03 was still the most imposing Venus has ever looked on court.

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
I think thats up until this year, really. I really think she's turned a corner this year.
Yeah, there's a aura about Venus of late. I hope it really is a second peaking sort of thing, really really do. ^.^

·
Registered
438 Posts
Post ab Venus lost her deadly backhand down the line.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
injuries and confidence problems resulting from injury plagued post2003 Venus. She's working herself back in to good form. She needs another breakthrough performance something akin to defeating Hingis in the SF of Wimbledon 2000. But there is no one or no challenge on tour that presents a comparable opportunity.

Taking Serena out in the Australian Open might have come closest: beating a rival of her caliber on their own turf.

I hope that we don't have to wait until Australian Open for her breakthrough to occur.

·
Registered
14,830 Posts
How is that ridiculous and outrageous?

Back to the topic:

Court = 2 Venus + 1 Serena!
Graf = Venus + Serena + Hingis
Evert = Navratilova = Venus + Serena + Clijsters

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
volcanas last 3 threads created all include venus williams in the title, im sensing a theme.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Not sure, when all is said done, how significant it all is. But ...

pre-ab injury = 1998-2003
post-ab injury = 2004-2009

pre-ab injury 4 slams, 6 slam finals, 29 tours wins
post-ab injury 3 slams, 0 slam finals, 12 tours wins

Four slam singles titles and 29 tour wins overall makes you ... more or less less Hana Mandlikova.
Three slam singles titles and 12 tour wins overall makes you ... more or less less Jennifer Capriati.

Hana Mandlikova + Jennifer Capriati = Venus Williams ?

If only sports translated so smoothly into math.
Monica Seles

pre-stabbing= 1989-1993
post-stabbing = 1995-2003

pre-stabbing 8 slams, 1 slam finals, 32 tours wins
post-stabbing 1 slams, 3 slam finals, 21 tours wins

Eight slam singles titles and 32 tour wins overall makes you ... more or less less pre-stabbing Monica Seles.
One slam singles titles and 21 tour wins overall makes you ... more or less less Gabriela Sabatini.

Pre-stabbing Monica Seles + Gabriela Sabatini = Monica Seles ?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts