Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some poster speculated that the gap between Davenport and Dementieva is smaller than the gap between Elena Dementieva and Venus Williams.
But Venus Williams is better than what her ranking suggests.

Comparing to Myskina and Dementieva, she suffered less embarassing losses, and Venus is a lot more consistent in wins. However, she just never had an impressive top 10 win since her comeback last year. But depsite more than 1000 points trailing Dementieva, Venus is not that much behind Dementieva in terms of abilities to play as the points seem to suggest.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
There really isn't any doubt, is there? Venus is a wonderful player. Always has been and always will be.

I know she's kinda in a slump, but she's still ranked very high and the reason people still critise her is just cos we expect so much from her. Cos we know just how talented she really is, and that she's capable of so much more. Many players would be thanking their lucky stars to be ranked when she is right now. Did that make sense? :)

Reactions: vs1

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
but she'll get more pts for beating quality players. in terms of rankings, i bet she'll be hungry for top wins rather than embarassing losses.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The only thing is that Venus is not playing at her own level...and i just think it's sad:sad: she is an amazing athlet and one of most powerfull player ever...just hope she will show one more time who she really is:worship: :hearts:

·
Premium Member
53,490 Posts
but the thing is Venus has so much room for improvement unlike others ranked around her.

not trying to be rude.

But she was so much better than this just 2 years ago.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Tell her Forehand and serve that then ;) . There is no doubt venus has the game to get back in the top 5, but will she fix the glitches in her game to do it, maybe she will never get back there, many players dont :confused: .

·
Banned
357 Posts
omg!!!! and who would you want to kick out from 1 to 7??? Venus did'nt even beat anyone of them for more than a year now!!! Higher than 8??? talent wise, yes!!! but not performance wise!!!

·
49,001 Posts
Until Venus is #1, this will always be the case. She is the most talented woman on tour presently, results be damned.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
JustIncredible05 said:
Until Venus is #1, this will always be the case. She is the most talented woman on tour presently, results be damned.

Actually, I 've always thought Serena's the more talented one. And I guess the results speak for themselves.... :) I also read somewhere long time that Richard Williams also thought Serena's the better player.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
If Venus stays healthy for the year, I have no doubt that she will definately improve and have a few title wins. My ultimate wish is that she wins at least one of the majors for the year. I'm sure she is aware of all the talk about her and I'm sure Serena is encouraging her to do well so that there will be an end to this decline debate. I think she is motivated again, therefore I am looking forward to a much better year for her. A good place to start is by winning the diamond raquet that would boost her confidence for the remainder of the year.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
From Worthy's Mailbag

This from the USTA publicity machine: "Venus Williams didn't waste any time trying to retool her game after returning from her fourth-round loss at the Australian Open. As soon as she got back to the United States, Williams called the USA Tennis High Performance West Coast Training Center to find someone to hit with. On Saturday (the day her sister won the women's singles title) Venus hit with USTA Coach David Nainkin. The two also had four-hour training sessions during three of the next four days before Williams left for home on Wednesday." Oddly enough, there was also a recent Venus sighting at the tennis center in Queens, playing indoors with the air-conditioning turned off.

·
49,001 Posts
Knizzle said:
LOL

ginger_fish668 said:
Actually, I 've always thought Serena's the more talented one. And I guess the results speak for themselves.... :) I also read somewhere long time that Richard Williams also thought Serena's the better player.
I think Serena is the better player, but Venus is just far more talented. Venus just doesnt maximize her capabilities and has that forehand.

·
Registered
595 Posts
JustIncredible05 said:

I agree and disagree. I agree she is capable of achieving much better results and can not be ruled out in any tournament, but her ranking is a product of her results and at the moment, she is appropriately ranked. I think she will win more slams, but I do not think she will achieve the number one ranking again.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JustIncredible05 said:
I wouldn't go that far either.
There are a couple of slam winners that are ranked ahead of her who deserve their ranking.
It will take quite a while before Venus gets anywhere near that number one ranking.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
if we are comparing venus and serena then serena will always have the edge because she has more heart and passion. a lot of players have tremendous skill, other players have an equal combination of skill and heart, while others have a lot more heart. when it's all said and done heart will get you further than skill. those who want it, take it. look at maria and serena then look at myskina and lindsay. myskina and lindsay have more skill but maria and serena have tons more heart. a person who has an equal amount of both would probably be justine. if you have to be lacking somewhere it's better to be lacking in the skills department. and by the way i don't think serena and maria are lacking in that department, i just think they have more heart than skill. when venus starts believing in herself she'll start winning until then she will only have her memories and so will her fans.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.