Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Venus Williams is undoubtably one of the best players on the womens tour. But to be ranked number 1, I personally feel you need to be dedicated to tennis 100%, like Serena Williams. She plays the major tournaments and wins and when shes not playing she is practicing.

Wheras Venus on the other hand, plays tennis, studies (for degree?) and runs a design company. She has many other passions. (Which is great).

Here is the question, Can Venus have it all? Can she ever be number one again? Can she play tennis, study,run a company and ascend to the number one spot again? Or is that asking for too much?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, and NO!!

:D

Just follow the answers in order of your questions.

Oh, and Serena always practicing when not at a tournament. HA!! Serena is a party girl, she does a whole lot of not practicing.;)

I, personally, believe Venus just lacks the complete desire to be one of the best, as Serena aspires to be. Venus is happy where she is, and she's not going to kill herself to get better.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think Venus would be much more motivated to be number 1, if it was not her sister who she would have to replace.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
when Venus was going to school and designing, she was winning grand slams. so I don't think her off the court activities have to do with that. Venus said she was tired last year and noticed flaws in her game but she still won titles and got to grand slam finals. She saw no need to change the technical aspects like her serve and volley. The W/S need to get frustrated to succeed. Retiring in Sydney '02 propelled Serena to where she is today. She got mad as hell and decided that she was simply not going to lose as often.

Venus should just about be at the fed up point to where she needs a change. She became really complacent last year. She figured she had everything and lost her desire to win. I mean, 4 grand slams, 28 titles (at the end of last year), 2 gold medals, a business, lucrative contracts and endorsements and a huge house. I'd feel as if my life was complete. She didn't work hard and she slacked off, allowing Serena to run away with it.

We know they motivate each other so maybe it's Venus' turn... when she gets better. I believe in you Venus! :kiss:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Sarah, come back online darnit! I just have some funny shit!

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Venus is over. I knew that from the US Open last year. Wimbledon was this "boiling point" you people speak of, you could see it in Venus' eyes. So what did she do? She worked her ass off over the summer, came into the open playing perhaps the best tennis of her life, and lost easily to Serena, who had played two matches in the same time frame Venus won three titles:eek: . I think Vee has given up. She tried to get excited in Australia, but the desire wasn't there. It really wasn't. She walked onto Rod Laver Arena that day defeated. Since then she really hasn't done much. I view her in the same class as Capriati/Davenport/Henin/Clijsters right now. I have since the Open. I love Venus to death, and think she is the smartest, most well rounded, eloquent person tennis has ever had (probably ever will have also), but Serena is going to be the golden girl for a while I think.

·
Banned
1,830 Posts
Venus thinks she can have it ALL but then her results on the tennis court are proving otherwise ! She ain't exactly an "allrounder " (if i could borrow that term from cricket :p )

·
Premium Member
19,755 Posts
During Venus's domination in 2000, and 2001 she worked hard but sometimes came in tournaments not totally ready and she would get through her matches even when she was off. Now, the only difference is everyone is ready and getting a little better. IMO, they still have not reached Venus and Serena's level yet but players are improving. It's amazing that even though Venus did not win a slam last year, she still beat everyone to get to the finals. So, I think she needs a little motivation and passion for the sport.

I don't think it has anything to do with Serena. The problem is her desire and passion to enjoy other aspects of life. She is growing up and blossoming into quite a classy young woman and maybe tennis is not her priority at this point. We certainly cannot expect her to focus on tennis 24-7, because she has stated that she would get to bored and her fans know this.

I do believe that at one point she will get tired of losing again, and get motivated and re dedicate herself. However it is up to her only, and I will continue to support and love both the sisters until they decide to throw in their racquets.

Here's hoping Venus gets back on track!!! Good Luck Queen!

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
I don't think Venus has the desire to be #1. She recently said in an interview that she didn't dream of taking #1 away from Serena...which is what she has to do. Serena has always had the drive, even when she was losing matches she should have won. I just don't see the same Venus on the court as I did. Maybe because she's won Slams, and been to #1.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
tennisIlove09, that's so disappointing to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts