Tennis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
If they wanted to show a real classic, they'd show the 2002 Final with Capriati and Hingis. That was a classic.

·
Registered
527 Posts
AH! You can tell I don't get the ESPN Classic channel.

*winks*

·
Registered
710 Posts
Apparently any match is considered classic if it goes to three sets and the winner wins 7-6 or 7-5. Even if the match is error-filled.
The US open 2003 semi-final had drama, but it was not really classic based on the errors. The Aus open final with Martina and Jennifer had so many errors, it also had only drama.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
gweeny said:
Apparently any match is considered classic if it goes to three sets and the winner wins 7-6 or 7-5. Even if the match is error-filled.
The US open 2003 semi-final had drama, but it was not really classic based on the errors. The Aus open final with Martina and Jennifer had so many errors, it also had only drama.
Pretty much, it's very rare to see a three set women's match these days that doesn't turn into an error fest at some point. That adds to the drama too. A lot of the 'classic matches' of this year have had one person leading and capable of finishing the match in straight sets but letting up and making errors.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I haven't been able to bring
myself to watch the entire match since it aired!

However, I caught the tail end of the second set
and the third(first time i've watched it since january).
I didn't realize how much grit and heart Venus showed in that match.
Had her serve been on as it was the day before, she could've won that match in two sets.

I look forward to
seeing them play again! :)

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Yeah Venus was smokin with her serve in the doubles final the day before!! She brought up match point with a 201kph scorcher!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.