Tennis Forum banner

Who is Greater!?

• Justine

Votes: 197 41.5%
  • Venus

Votes: 189 39.8%
  • Both equally great

Votes: 39 8.2%
  • Wait until they retire and then see......

Votes: 50 10.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone is comparing Serena and Justine and trying to decide who is greater but I wanted to know who people thought was greater between Venus and Justine because they both have really achieved alot of the same things. Justine has won 3 of the slams and Venus only two but Venus has been in the finals of all 4 just like Justine and Venus has a lot more doubles titles then Henin so I'm just curious............

Venus Williams
SINGLES
Winner: (44): 2012- Luxembourg 2010 - Dubai, Acapulco; 2009 - Dubai, Acapulco; 2008 - Wimbledon, Zürich, WTA Championships; 2007 - Memphis, Wimbledon, Seoul; 2005 - Istanbul, Wimbledon; 2004 - Charleston, Warsaw; 2003 - Antwerp; 2002 - Gold Coast, Paris [Indoors], Antwerp, Amelia Island, Stanford, San Diego, New Haven; 2001 - Miami, Hamburg, Wimbledon, San Diego, New Haven, US Open; 2000 - Wimbledon, Stanford, San Diego, New Haven, US Open, Olympics; 1999 - Oklahoma City, Miami, Hamburg, Rome, New Haven, Zürich; 1998 - Oklahoma City, Miami, Grand Slam Cup.
Finalist (27): 2010 - Miami, Madrid; 2009 - Wimbledon, Stanford, WTA Championships; 2007 - Tokyo [Japan Open]; 2005 - Antwerp, Stanford; 2004 - Berlin, Stanford; 2003 - Australian Open, Warsaw, Wimbledon; 2002 - Hamburg, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open; 2000 - Linz; 1999 - Hannover, Stanford, San Diego, Grand Slam Cup; 1998 - Sydney, Rome, Stanford, Zürich; 1997 - US Open.

*11 weeks at #1 Plus 11 GS doubles titles and 2 Mixed GS titles

Justine Henin
Winner (43): 2010 - Stuttgart, 's-Hertogenbosch; 2008 - Sydney, Antwerp; 2007 - Dubai, Doha, Warsaw, Roland Garros, Eastbourne, Toronto, US Open, Stuttgart, Zürich, WTA Championships; 2006 - Sydney, Dubai, Roland Garros, Eastbourne, New Haven, WTA Championships; 2005 - Charleston, Warsaw, Berlin, Roland Garros; 2004 - Australian Open, Sydney, Dubai, Indian Wells, Olympics; 2003 - Roland Garros, Dubai, Charleston, Berlin, San Diego, Toronto, US Open, Zürich; 2002 - Berlin, Linz; 2001 - Gold Coast, Canberra, 's-Hertogenbosch; 2000 - ITF/Liège-BEL; 1999 - Antwerp, ITF/Reims-FRA; 1998 - ITF/Gelos-FRA, ITF/Grenelefe-USA, ITF/Ramat Hasharon-ISR; 1997 - ITF/Le Touquet-FRA, ITF/Koksijde-BEL.
Finalist (18): 2010 - Brisbane, Australian Open; 2007 - Miami; 2006 - Australian Open, Berlin, Wimbledon, US Open; 2005 - Toronto; 2003 - 's-Hertogenbosch, Leipzig, Filderstadt; 2002 - Gold Coast, Antwerp, Amelia Island, Rome; 2001 - Wimbledon, Hawaii, Filderstadt.

*117 weeks at #1 Plus 2 WTA Tour doubles titles

H2H Venus leads 7-2

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Close, but a slight edge to Venus. Justine is younger though and has a chance to surpass Venus in GS and other victories. Venus has a 7-1 H-H over Justine but Justine,being more than 2 years younger, had not reached her peak for most of those encounters.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Venus all the way, she had such periods of domiation in 2000 and 2001 that Justine has never experienced

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Pros for venus:
3 wimbledons
good h2h record against top players including justine
olmpic gold medal
5 slams and more slams in doubles and mixed
more career titles

Pros for Justine:
3 french’s
longer stay at number one
slams wins on 3 surfaces, venus only has two surfaces
ended her year at number one twice, venus never has
she’s one the year-end championships, venus hasn’t

questions:
who’s been a part of the top ten for the most years, how about top 5?
who has the better career win loss record?
who has the better grand slam record?

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
Justine actually has more Tier Is than Venus though. 8 to 6. But, yeah, this discussion is old.

·
Registered
18,941 Posts
Both equally great. They are pretty even in almost all categories.

Titles
Venus- 34
Justine 31

Grand Slams
Venus- 5
Justine 5
Difference is that Justine won 3 of the 4 possible GS and Venus winning only Wimbledon and US Open.

Olympic Medals
Venus- 2000 Singles & Doubles (Sydney)
Justine- 2004 Singles (Athens)

Year-End #1
Venus- 0
Justine- 2

It is definitely scary on how similar their careers are :unsure: Definitely equal right now and maybe in a couple of years time we can base who is better.

Can't wait till their next meeting! :hearts:

·
Registered
18,941 Posts

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Well if you only compare singles, both careers are quite similar with the slight edge to Justine for sure..I mean come on..She has a YEC and 2 year end #1 rankings more than Vee

·
Registered
75 Posts
Justine has the slight edge over Venus for me.
The most important criterion for greatness is the number of grand slam titles won. They have both won 5 grand slam titles. So therefore we must look at look other factors.
For me, a player's ranking history is important. Justine has 59 weeks at number 1 (and counting), compared to 11 weeks for Venus. Justine also ended two years as world number 1 (2003 and 2006) while Venus has failed to do this. There Justine is clearly ahead in the rankings department.
The two biggest tournaments in tennis after the grand slams are the YEC and the olympics. Both players have won the olympic gold medal, but Justine has won the YEC while Venus's hasn't.
Doubles achievements don't count in my opinion. I view doubles tennis as an irrelevant sideshow in a primarily individual sport.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
If doubles is irrelevant, Pam Shriver would not be in the HOF today. So it has to count for something.

Justine has won the YEC once. The next biggest title after that is Miami; Venus has 3 of those titles. Justine zero.

Right now, in terms of singles play, they have to be equal. While Venus never ended the year #1, everyone knows she was the best player in 2000 and 2001.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Justine has the slight edge over Venus for me.
The most important criterion for greatness is the number of grand slam titles won. They have both won 5 grand slam titles. So therefore we must look at look other factors.
For me, a player's ranking history is important. Justine has 59 weeks at number 1 (and counting), compared to 11 weeks for Venus. Justine also ended two years as world number 1 (2003 and 2006) while Venus has failed to do this. There Justine is clearly ahead in the rankings department.
The two biggest tournaments in tennis after the grand slams are the YEC and the olympics. Both players have won the olympic gold medal, but Justine has won the YEC while Venus's hasn't.
Doubles achievements don't count in my opinion. I view doubles tennis as an irrelevant sideshow in a primarily individual sport.
Thats one way of looking at it! They are so close you could argue either way. And yeah I dont really take into account doubles either, I mean its good to have won doubles titles but it doesnt have any great significance (IMO).

*Nice first post btw ;)

·
Registered
18,941 Posts
If doubles is irrelevant, Pam Shriver would not be in the HOF today. So it has to count for something.

Justine has won the YEC once. The next biggest title after that is Miami; Venus has 3 of those titles. Justine zero.

Right now, in terms of singles play, they have to be equal. While Venus never ended the year #1, everyone knows she was the best player in 2000 and 2001.
:worship:

Doubles does count. Perfect example right there.

1 - 20 of 354 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.