Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, first of all, we should be so lucky, since that would to be a semi or the final, with at least the potential for very high quality tennis.

Venus Williams - hard court record, US Open record, good w/o tuneups, x out of y GS finals, yada, yada, yada

Justine Henin-Hardenne - Won first slam, won Toronto, yada, yada, yada

Head-to-Head, yada, yada, yada

You can fill that stuff in from other threads.

Venus will play Justine the way she usually plays Justine, cause it's worked.

What can/will Justine change in order to defeat/attempt-to-defeat Venus?

My fellow Williams fans, please try not to chime in with a depressing chorus of 'it's hopeless'. Justine has obviously raised the level of her game. She's also always had greater success against Venus Serena than Serena Venus, for whatever reason. What do you think she'll try against Venus if we luck out and such a match takes place? Say for the US Open title?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Greater success against venus? I beg to differ.

Venus WILLIAMS (USA) v Justine HENIN-HARDENNE (BEL)

2001 Berlin Clay (O) 16 Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 1-6 4-6
2001 Wimbledon Grass (O) FR Venus WILLIAMS 6-1 3-6 6-0
2001 New Haven Hard (O) QF Venus WILLIAMS 6-3 5-7 6-2
2001 Gold Coast Hard (O) FR Venus WILLIAMS 7-5 6-2
2002 Antwerp Carpet (I) FR Venus WILLIAMS 6-3 5-7 6-3
2002 Amelia Island Clay (O) FR Venus WILLIAMS 2-6 7-5 7-6(5)
2002 Wimbledon Grass (O) SF Venus WILLIAMS 6-3 6-2
2003 Australian Open Hard (O) SF Venus WILLIAMS 6-3 6-3

Venus WILLIAMS (USA) leads 7 : 1

Serena WILLIAMS (USA) v Justine HENIN-HARDENNE (BEL)

2001 U.S. Open Hard (O) 16 Serena WILLIAMS 7-5 6-0
2001 W.T.A. Tour Championships Hard (I) QF Serena WILLIAMS 6-3 7-6(5)
2002 Berlin Clay (O) FR Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 2-6 6-1 6-7(5)
2002 Rome Clay (O) FR Serena WILLIAMS 7-6(6) 6-4
2002 Leipzig Carpet (I) SF Serena WILLIAMS 6-4 6-2
2003 Charleston Clay (O) FR Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 3-6 4-6
2003 French Open Clay (O) SF Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 2-6 6-4 5-7
2003 Wimbledon Grass (O) SF Serena WILLIAMS 6-3 6-2

Serena WILLIAMS (USA) leads 5 : 3

Justines only win came on clay at their first ever meeting. Hopefully venus is fit and healthy and ready to reclaim her open title and dispense of her peers on the tour. I think justine should pray venus is still injured.

Reactions: LucasArg

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Volcana said:
Well, first of all, we should be so lucky, since that would to be a semi or the final, with at least the potential for very high quality tennis.

Venus Williams - hard court record, US Open record, good w/o tuneups, x out of y GS finals, yada, yada, yada

Justine Henin-Hardenne - Won first slam, won Toronto, yada, yada, yada

Head-to-Head, yada, yada, yada

You can fill that stuff in from other threads.

Venus will play Justine the way she usually plays Justine, cause it's worked.

My fellow Williams fans, please try not to chime in with a depressing chorus of 'it's hopeless'. Justine has obviously raised the level of her game. She's also always had greater success against Venus than Serena, for whatever reason. What do you think she'll try against Venus if we luck out and such a match takes place? Say for the US Open title?
She should try to take the ball early, and hit all the forehands she can because Venus is going to try and break her backhand down. She has to serve well, she shouldn't serve out wide to Venus too often on either side because Venus likes those returns. Try to hit higher topspin balls to Venus' forehand to try and get a short ball or and error. Attack the net whenever possible. Don't stay on the baseline because that is a losing battle. Most of all try not to be intimidated by Venus' presence.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Knizzle said:
Attack the net whenever possible. Don't stay on the baseline because that is a losing battle. Most of all try not to be intimidated by Venus' presence.
completely agree! I've seen Justine try to outslug Venus from the baseline and the result ain't pretty. Actually, the things you've suggested remind me a lot of what Martina used to do against Venus in their classic matches ;)

·
Registered
20,538 Posts
Well first, she should implement the same strategy she did with Serena - exploit their weaknesses. For example, with Serena she took off all rythm and changed up the pace of the rallies, she served to the body of Serena, and she took her chances. That is what Justine should also do to Venus. She should serve to Venus's body because Venus is taller and she has better reach serving to the body everynow and again and switching up her service trends, will hopefully catch Venus off and either illicit the error or Justine should go to net and just end the point there.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cybelle Darkholme said:
Greater success against venus? I beg to differ.
I knew that. :) Sorry! Adult Onset Dyslexia strikes again.:)

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
It would be very difficult now for Venus to topple Justine if she's not 100% a the US Open.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
20,615 Posts
If Venus is completely healthy, and I believe she will be, there are really only two things Justine can do: NOTHING AND LIKE IT!! :lol:

But seriously, folks.....we all know that Venus' two weaknesses are her forehand and her second serve, so the Big Babe Slayer's best strategy would be to exploit those areas as much as possible. If Venus has her forehand working and gets her first serve in regularly, however, it's au revoir, Mme. Hardenne. ;)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
maybe Justine should watch the way Mauresmo played Venus in the semis last year when it was oh so close :eek:! Amelie attacked whenever possible and came to net. What did her in were those two or three errors in the 3rd set that is a NO NO if ur going to upset Venus. IMO Justine is stronger mentally than the soft-spoken French woman this year if Justine and Venus get into that sticky 3rd set. The tournament hasn't even started and we're already talking about this as the match of the tournament;)

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
"Well first, she should implement the same strategy she did with Serena - exploit their weaknesses. For example, with Serena she took off all rythm and changed up the pace of the rallies, she served to the body of Serena, and she took her chances. That is what Justine should also do to Venus. "

Losing strategy...Venus plays junk ballers very well, if Lindsay can't jam Venus successfully justine certainly can't.

justine will have to mix it up play Venus' forehand and hope it's a little off. Come to net often but only on good approaches, AVOID DA BACKHAND! Light some candles. "The Hand and The Bandage" won't put Venus off, only make her more determined to kick your ass!

Reactions: Shuji Shuriken

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Justine has to play very agressive, coming into the net often. When Venus is controling the rally she has to bring all the balls back time after time. Her serve is also imortant off course.

Don't know imo Venus is the favorite but Justine has improved a lot last months .. don't know how this changing is goining to effect Venus her game.

I'll hope to find out soon and I'm sure it could be a good match :)

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I really can't wait for this semis encounter.;)

·
Banned
947 Posts
Volcana said:

What do you think she'll try against Venus if we luck out and such a match takes place? Say for the US Open title?
henin-hardenne has a variety of shots in her arsenal. i think she'll play venus the same way she plays serena: mixing up the pace to give venus no rhythm. henin-hardenne's advantage is that she can do all that to disrupt venus' rhythm and it won't affect her own because she plays that way most of the time.

i hope venus plays the open and i hope she meets henin-hardenne in the final.

·
Banned
2,188 Posts
Actually I don't think changing the pace will help against Venus. I've noticed that Venus has become much more focused and patient during rallies. Or maybe it's the result of her injury of that impeded her movement but it also made sure her returns were never overhit.

I don't think Henin has the game to beat Venus at the moment. It should be an interesting match though.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
11,823 Posts
Jen'sFan said:
she believes she can beat serena and if she believes that then there's no reason why she cant beat venus
There is no correlation between that belief and reality. For example...some people that give Serena a hard time, Venus beats them easily and vice-versa :). So using one strategy against Serena doesn't mean the same will work with Venus.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
doloresc said:
henin-hardenne has a variety of shots in her arsenal. i think she'll play venus the same way she plays serena: mixing up the pace to give venus no rhythm. henin-hardenne's advantage is that she can do all that to disrupt venus' rhythm and it won't affect her own because she plays that way most of the time.

i hope venus plays the open and i hope she meets henin-hardenne in the final.
That works against impatient and agressive players....Venus ain´t none of those things. She can rally with you all day and let you go for too much. Ask Kim! I don´ t think Justine´s game can beat Venus on hardcourts.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.