Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe Justine just has to beat Chanda, and she's up to #3 in the world. So, Venus is at #4.

Will Wimbledon seed Venus #2, based her on W W RU last three years, even though there's now two players higher then her?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,384 Posts
I think so.......Rusedski never won wimby and yet he was seeded before.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,384 Posts
well, Venus won it two times....so that isn't bad either.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
per4ever said:
that would be ridiculous...Justine reached final and semi last year...so that isn't bad either ;)
Yes, but it's not a W W RU either...and both times she lost to VENUS ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,007 Posts
If Amelie makes the Final, she will pass Venus as well, making it even harder for wimbledon to justify any sort of "promotion"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,170 Posts
I think Venus should be seeded #2 at Wimbledon if she is healthy, she is clearly much stronger on grass. Either way, if she is #2 or #4 I don't think it will matter, she will probably make it to atleast the semi's.
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
596 Posts
BigB08822 said:
I think Venus should be seeded #2 at Wimbledon if she is healthy, she is clearly much stronger on grass. Either way, if she is #2 or #4 I don't think it will matter, she will probably make it to atleast the semi's.
Justine has proven she's also good at grass, one semi final, one final, won the heineken trophy (against clijsters btw). I don't think it would be fair to put venus in front of justine. Kim hasn't proven that much on grass, but in the rankings she probably have a big lead over venus...
i don't see why they should seed venus #2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if Mauresmo passes Venus, it will further go to show how much of a joke the rankings are. The fact that Henin-Hardenne will, or could, pass her is already a joke.

Clijsters is understandable, but barely.
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
596 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
if Mauresmo passes Venus, it will further go to show how much of a joke the rankings are. The fact that Henin-Hardenne will, or could, pass her is already a joke.

Clijsters is understandable, but barely.
Why is it joke henin could pass venus ??
She made semi finals at AO, at Wimbledon, fourth round at USO was her worst slam record, just like venus now.
she also won 3 titles this year, two tier 1's.
Don't see why it's a joke ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Schalckske said:
Why is it joke henin could pass venus ??
She made semi finals at AO, at Wimbledon, fourth round at USO was her worst slam record, just like venus now.
she also won 3 titles this year, two tier 1's.
Don't see why it's a joke ?
Venus hasn't lost to Henin since 2001. Venus last 4 Slams: RU RU RU 4th
Henin: SF, SF 4th, TBA [in QF currently]--the ONLY way she could do better then Venus is to win this event.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
25,368 Posts
You missed the point with the seeding of Rusedski Basic. He's British. That gives them a reason to help him and Timmy boy.

Would seeding Venus #2 be in the interests of the All England club? In other words-do they WANT an all Williams final? Rollo thinks not, and anyhow they rarely mess with women's seeds.

On the other hand if Venus' computer rank is #5 it's possible they might bump her up to #4.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,007 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
if Mauresmo passes Venus, it will further go to show how much of a joke the rankings are. The fact that Henin-Hardenne will, or could, pass her is already a joke.

Clijsters is understandable, but barely.
Better face facts, Venus is just a challenger to the Number 1 spot like everyone else. In fact, she isn't even the best of the Challengers anymore :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
but I think she has good performance on the grass so no matter what she will #2 at Wimby or not she still be the great and could beat the player who ranking higher than Vee, Go Venus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rollo said:
You missed the point with the seeding of Rusedski Basic. He's British. That gives them a reason to help him and Timmy boy.

Would seeding Venus #2 be in the interests of the All England club? In other words-do they WANT an all Williams final? Rollo thinks not, and anyhow they rarely mess with women's seeds.

On the other hand if Venus' computer rank is #5 it's possible they might bump her up to #4.
That's the question: do they WANT a Williams/Williams final, or a possibility of one.

It's a tough question. Obviously most feel like the sisters never bring out the best in each other, but the Wimbledon final was their best match...especially the first set.
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
596 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Venus hasn't lost to Henin since 2001. Venus last 4 Slams: RU RU RU 4th
Henin: SF, SF 4th, TBA [in QF currently]--the ONLY way she could do better then Venus is to win this event.
I already said this in an other thread, but the rankings aren't just based on the slams...I think it's just wonderful how a "small" person like justine can play well most of her tournaments, not only the slams.
Maybe i agree with henin not beating venus, but that's a useless discussion. Because venus lost 4 times to serena, while justine in the last 4 meatings is 2-2. Makes that justine a better player than serena ? no, so the h2h's don't say every thing. they just say venus beats justine almost always, but if we consider serena #1, and you see justine is just 4-2 in all their meetings, i, as a justine fan, could say justine is as good as serena. you can use the h2h's always like you want them to use
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
25,368 Posts
That's the question: do they WANT a Williams/Williams final, or a possibility of one.
Exactly TennisILove.

It all comes down to ratings/money I suppose. Does a sister/sister final help or hurt ratings worldwide? Does that even make a difference to the club? I think as long as Venus is 3 or 4 the club won't touch the seeds.


At #5 the chance of Venus meeting her sister in the quarters isn't attractive. I could see Mauresmo or Henin getting bumped from #4 to #5, with Venus 2 titles being the reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Schalckske said:
I already said this in an other thread, but the rankings aren't just based on the slams...I think it's just wonderful how a "small" person like justine can play well most of her tournaments, not only the slams.
Maybe i agree with henin not beating venus, but that's a useless discussion. Because venus lost 4 times to serena, while justine in the last 4 meatings is 2-2. Makes that justine a better player than serena ? no, so the h2h's don't say every thing. they just say venus beats justine almost always, but if we consider serena #1, and you see justine is just 4-2 in all their meetings, i, as a justine fan, could say justine is as good as serena. you can use the h2h's always like you want them to use
I'm not saying it's not wonderful that Justine isn't consistent. I think it's great too. The H2H gets tricky, obviously.

I'm just saying that the rankings DO NOT indicate the correct rank of the players, because if they did the sisters would still be 1, 2. I don't think anyone can make a logical case against that. Should Clijsters win Paris, she is #2, IMO.
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
41,227 Posts
well said schalckske, you have to look at the results of a player...and Justine's results are as good (or even better winning two tier I's) as Venus'.

Players like Schwartz, Zvonareva, Maleeva etc are leading Venus in h2h..does that mean they should be ranked above her?
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top