Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who, like me, can't stand the suspense. And ESPECIALLY for allthose who sadi that Venus would NEVER be #1, here's EXACTLY how soon Venus can have the moast ranking points. Specifically, she has to beat Maggie and Monica. No small task but if Vee is healthy, she shouldn't have a problem. That set to Daniela was the first one she dropped since New Haven.

rd LIND VENU JENN

3r 4288 4058 3897 - Venus def Hanchukova
3r 4288 4058 3969 - Jenn def Danilidou. 56 pts for 3r, 16 pts for Danilidou, 72 total
4r 4288 4218 3969 - Venus def Maggie. 90 for 4r, 70 for Maggie, 160 total
4r 4288 4218 4105 - Jenn def Iroda/Rita. 90 for 4r, 46 for Iroda/Rita, 136 total
QF 4288 4466 4105 - Venus def Monica. 162 for QF, 86 for Monica, 248 total
QF 4288 4466 4353 - Jenn def Amelei. 162 for QF, 86 for Amelie, 248 total

Jenn has to do one round better than Venus to take #1. If Venus makes the finals, Jenn has to win.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Well, I hope she gets to #1, but it has been a bit of a curse/jinx to the last few that have had it. For Hingis, 2001 was probably her "worst" year (relative to what she has done in other years; only one GS final and 2 titles all year in 2001, I think); Capriati takes #1 briefly and then loses it, then Davenport is #1 and promptly gets hurt.
In all honesty, I sort of agree with what the Williams sisters have been saying for a while - its really the performance in the GSs that is important. If Venus wins more grand slams titles, but still played a reduced schedule and didn't attain #1, I really wouldn't mind. Its nice to say you were #1 for X amount of weeks, but really, its how you play in BIG matches and BIG events that distinguishes true champions from other "great" athletes.

I think that its good for tennis to see so many women vying for #1, but wish that the switches in the #1 position come more from players playing well than from the current #1 being injured and not being able to defend/play.
Ruth in Philly PA USA

·
Veelieve!!!
32,590 Posts
In all honesty, I sort of agree with what the Williams sisters have been saying for a while - its really the performance in the GSs that is important. If Venus wins more grand slams titles, but still played a reduced schedule and didn't attain #1, I really wouldn't mind. Its nice to say you were #1 for X amount of weeks, but really, its how you play in BIG matches and BIG events that distinguishes true champions from other "great" athletes.
My sentiments EXACTLY!!!! Of course I will celebrate if indeed she becomes numero uno, but it doesn't matter either way :p

Go Venus!
:bounce:

·
Registered
856 Posts
I want Venus to become #1, even if she just stays there for a short time! Atleast she can say she was there! But the Grandslams are more important!

Go Venus, reach number 1 and win grandslams!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Then the new debate will be, "She made it, but for how long...". I've come to accept that some posters will always find something new to bitch about as far as the Williams are concerned. Anyway, I hope Venus becomes #1 in the world for her personal goals. I also hope that she wins AO 2002! Go Venus!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts