Tennis Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts
perseus2006 said:
So what you are trying to tell me is that Venus is a "deserving unfortunate" who cannot "earn" her seeding by playing tennis in tournaments like Elena, Nastya and, especially, Patty? This gift bump is a slap in the face to Venus and even more so to Elena, Nastya and Patty.

Seedings should be earned on the court in tournaments not doled out at the whim of fat old men. That's my opinion and it applies to the men's and womens's sides.

This is the first time I can remember that the Wimbledon women's seedings have not followed the rankings. I cannot see any good comming out of this: Venus benefits at the expense of other players. What a nasty position to put Venus in for the start of Wimbledon. How gratified Patty must feel that the position she earned through hard work on the court over the past year is given away to a "deserving unfortunate" named Venus.
My oh my :lol:

The Daviator said:
Were they 1 and 2 in 2000, 2001, 2004 and 2005? :retard:

Davenport also had to work her ass off to reach the final, Clijsters, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo before the final, so please stop thinking that everyone is out to get your precious Venus :rolleyes:
You mean (at those time) Kim "welcome back after the injuries" C lijsters, Svetlana "slumping" Kuznetsova, and Chokomomo? Oke, I've got that.

Ok, so was Venus actually promoted up? I just assumed she was #7 through withdrawls, since it seems like a silly seeding to give someone if you're going to bump them up a tier class. I think she deserves it, I just was reading the thread and was kind of shocked to find out they did it without announcing it or anything.

Friday 10.30 am British time
about 7.30 pm Friday night in Australia

Glad to see Venus get a top 8 seed three time champion she deserves it, I would have liked it to be a bit higher though maybe around 5, she looked so good a the French Open lets hope that she shows that form again and she lifts title number 4. She proved last year she can be seeded lower lets see her do it again this year

Hardiansf said:
You mean (at those time) Kim "welcome back after the injuries" C lijsters, Svetlana "slumping" Kuznetsova, and Chokomomo? Oke, I've got that.
mm. Come on man, Im a massive Venus fan, but that doesnt stop me giving the credit to Davenport where it is due. Its insensitive not to. Clijsters, which was a hard fought 3 set match!!! Kusnetsova first set was difficult, and the Mauresmo match was 6-7 7-6 6-4. That is difficult, I think you cant see it because you are blinded by favouritism.

:wavey:

Hardiansf said:
Well no offence but its stupid to compare it that way...If you say that whom did Venus hav to beat anyways??Mary "I hate grass" Pierce,Maria "I am growing hence injured" sharapova and Lindz 'I cant win GS final' davenport?? So plz stop bullshit..Every player have to go through a lot of tough moments to reach a GS final...

perseus2006 said:
Here's part of a post I made at another board illustrating the problems breaking the link between rankings and seedings.

Here's the committee chairman's side of the phone call to tell Patty her Wimbledon seeding:

"Patty I am pleased to tell you on behalf of the Committee that we have awarded you the #9 seed at Wimbledon 2006..."

"Yes, Patty, I can see where you would be CONFUSED about expecting the #8 seed but..."

"Well, yes, Patty, you have played tennis at lots of tournaments for the last year and EARNED the rank NORMALLY associated with the prestige of the #8 seed..."

"Yes, Patty, the WTA does tell you that if you want a prestigious seeding, then play tennis and EARN it, but..."

"Yes, Patty, you did PLAY and EARN it but..."

"Well, Patty, you didn't get the #8 seed because the COMMITTEE decided that you are a lousy tennis player who EARNED it but there is a very gifted player who didn't play much and couldn't earn it but who truely deserves a top 8 seeding."

"No, Patty, since last Wimbledon, the DESERVING player has actually not done well even in the few tournaments she's played..."

"No, no, Patty, not even close..."

"Well, since last Wimbledon the DESERVING player is way more than 1000 ranking points BEHIND you..."

"Patty, I don't understand the relevance of what we were smoking..."

"shove it... Patty please calm down! Your hair may frizzle! It's been decades since I've been able to reach that far back and down..."

"Be assured, Patty, I will look before going around every corner..."

"I will take it as my mission in life to avoid any court where you are playing..."

"Trust me to make certain that we don't meet on the grounds, especially if you have racket..."

"I hope you won't mind if I just paraphrase that thought when I report back to the COMMITTEE..."

"It's been so nice that we could have this little chat. Cherio." *i should have just said goodbye!*

I still maintain that seeding by ranking is the only fair way to go.
"By the way, Patty although you are talented, this player has beaten you on three times since she won Wimbledon last year, and that wasn't even grass!"

121 - 136 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.