Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed there was a lot of talk going on about it in various threads, so I thought I'd make a thread just to talk about it.

We all want Venus to be top 4 seeded, and based on her early exit in Madrid, it seems like that might not happen. BUT. I just did come calculations, and based on those, I think its VERY likely Venus WILL be top 5 in RG.

Currently:
3. Venus - 7452
4. Jelena - 7330
5. Elena - 6991

With 2008 Rome points taken off,
3. Venus - 7237
4. Elena - 6791
5. Jelena - 6470

In Madrid, should Elena reach the Semis, she'll gain 450 points, which will give her a total of 7241, which just eclipses Venus. Elena's draw looks good to the semis (Mauresmo, Azarenka).

However, Jelena needs to WIN the event in order to eclipse Venus. If she gets final points (700), she'd still only be at 7170. Only if she wins (1000) points will she beat Venus, where she'd have a total of 7470.

Basically, I think the odds of Venus getting a top 4 seeding are still quite good. Unfortunately it's not in her hands anymore, but let's see what happens in the following few days. ;)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw, sorry if there's anything wrong with my calculations, and PLEASE tell me.. :lol:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I have big doubts seeing Jankovic winning Madrid so she will be 3! or at least 4 because Dementieva is out :)devil:)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I have big doubts seeing Jankovic winning Madrid so she will be 3! or at least 4 because Dementieva is out :)devil:)
I hope you're right about JJ, but Dementieva has another chance as she is playing Warsaw.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
from WTA site:

May 12, 2009

© Getty Images
Venus Returns to Top 3

There was some significant movement within the Top 5 this week, as for the first time in almost six years Venus Williams is back in the Top 3, moving from No.5 to No.3 after a semifinal showing in Rome.

Williams had spent 175 career weeks inside the Top 3 previously, all of those coming in the 197-week span between August 30, 1999 and June 8, 2003. Of those 175 weeks among the game's three best players, she had 95 at No.3, 69 at No.2 and most notably 11 at No.1. Despite three Wimbledon titles in the time since then she has only returned to the world's Top 3 this week, her 176th non-consecutive week inside the top trio.

Other notable movers inside the Top 100 this week include Ekaterina Makarova, who moved up from No.43 to No.35 - her career Top 40 debut - after back-to-back Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles runner-up finishes at Fès and Estoril; and Yanina Wickmayer, who won her first Tour title of any kind in Estoril and surged from No.88 to No.64, nearly bettering her previous career-high of No.62.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I thought I just read that Warsaw points are not counted for FO seeding:confused:
You're right. Warsaw points do not count for RG seeding as the draw is made Friday during the week of Warsaw.

Dementieva lost today, Venus guaranteed Top 4 seeding at RG! :banana:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
But I thought I just read that Warsaw points are not counted for FO seeding:confused:
oh! well then there is hope.

now we just need JJ to lose before the final and she'll keep the #3 seeding.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, now I REALLY WANT Jelena to reach the final or win, because I want her to over take Elena as the #4 (or Venus as #3) seed because I just KNOW that if Jelena is 5th, Venus will draw her in a heartbeat and we all know about Venus vs Jelena on clay. :eek:

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
Okay, now I REALLY WANT Jelena to reach the final or win, because I want her to over take Elena as the #4 (or Venus as #3) seed because I just KNOW that if Jelena is 5th, Venus will draw her in a heartbeat and we all know about Venus vs Jelena on clay. :eek:
that's true it's better for Venus to have Jelena be top 4.
But Venus' troubles will start before the QF for sure. She's almost always struggles in teh early rounds at Paris. She needs to get to the 2nd week before we can worry about a possible meeting w/ Jelena.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
the worst for me is : i have my last (and big) examens during the first roland garros's week..so i won't be able to follow Venus's Matches until thursday..i hope she doesn't lose before ...
Last year none of her matches were on French TV because they don't really show her in the first rounds (except if she meets a french player)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I believe Venus can beat Jankovic on clay. Some of the matches that she lost to Jelena were because she was tired entering the third set. Right now, she is in great shape and she won't collapsed (at least physically) against her and JJ is not what she used to be.

Anyway, it's one match at the time with Vee and i only hope she can do better than a 3rd round. I want to see her in the 2nd week but Im keeping it real. One drama at a time.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
I believe Venus can beat Jankovic on clay. Some of the matches that she lost to Jelena were because she was tired entering the third set. Right now, she is in great shape and she won't collapsed (at least physically) against her and JJ is not what she used to be.

Anyway, it's one match at the time with Vee and i only hope she can do better than a 3rd round. I want to see her in the 2nd week but Im keeping it real. One drama at a time.
I agree about the JJ comment. I want Venus to be top 3 for RG.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
:lol: wow, we Venus fans think alike. I was thinking the same thing--that it would be best if she does just well enough to surpass Dementieva and that way she and Venus couldn't possible meet before the finals. And I like Venus' chances much better in a final.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:lol: wow, we Venus fans think alike. I was thinking the same thing--that it would be best if she does just well enough to surpass Dementieva and that way she and Venus couldn't possible meet before the finals. And I like Venus' chances much better in a final.
It's cuz our usernames are so similar.. ;):p

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Did you change your sig? Or is that VSR who has the Wimbledon, USO, AO list and RG saying Williams?

:lol:
I did change my sig, but it was VSR who had the Wimbledon, USO, AO list and RG saying Williams? :lol:

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
Venus would beat Jelena on clay!!

1- Safina
2- Serena
3- Venus
4- Dementieva

vs

5- Jankovic
6- Kuznetsova
7- Ivanovic
8- Azarenka

Jankovic is not the only problem for Veen
on her Road to ARE-GEE!!

all are capable of beating each other, including
Azarenka who has atleast reach the semis of a big clay
tournament!!

and i assure you!!...
Azarenka will reach a slam final within 2 years!!

;););)

Reactions: starin
1 - 18 of 18 Posts