368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
she has 4508 points so far,

but she has 3274 points in safe points with both RG, Wim points off,
Lindsay is 3304 in safe points, so if Lindsay does better
than Venus in both events, Venus wont be
able to make TOP 4.......

then she 3 titles to defend, 2298 points in safe
points leading up to US Open................

according to ranking points right now,
she has to reach about 4000 points to make it to #4,

so 1600 points is what she has to make in 5 tournaments
for her to come.......

if she pulls out of RG......she probably wont be able to make
it back to TOP 4 by US Open.............

it'll be interesting to see who the TOP 4 are after Wimbies......:)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Well, it's going to be a tough summer for Venus. She has the bulk of her points to defend from RG on and she wasn't able to defend all of her points from last year so far. It's going to be tough for her to gain points from here until after the USO.

But, I think Venus has been quite formidable on grass and on hardcourt, so I wouldn't write off her chances. Plus she can add points in Canada since Serena ceded her place in that tournament to Venus.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hope that doesn't happen. A spot outside the top 4 isn't a spot worthy of Queen Venus :worship:

But Venus is pretty amazing on grass and also in the summer hardcourt season, so I think it won't happen.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
The fact that we haven't heard anything about Venus' injury suggest to me that she is playing the French Open, unless she pulls out at the last minute (which I don't think she will do considering this is a grand slam event). Lindsay is the one with the hamstring problem and is more doubtful for the French than Venus is at the monent. In addition, Venus plays better than Lindsay on clay, so there is no guarantee that Lindsay will move ahead of Venus before Wimbeldon. Speaking of Wimbeldon, Venus will get the number two seeding and Justine could get the third, as they do not use the world ranking for seeding at that event. It is possible that Lindsay could be seeded ahead of Kim and Amelie, but I doubt it. I also doubt that Venus will fall out of the top four. She has not been out of the top five since late 1998, unlike her sister, the Belgians, Amelie (who fell out of the top ten for ahwile) and Lindsay.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
You can't say with certainty that Wimbledon will seed Venus number two. Wimbledon came up with a formula to determine seedings among the men and now they don't just pull the seedings out of their bonnets.

And, what's more, the committee has rarely tinkered with the women's seedings. But it seems if they have a formula, they would apply it to the women as well if they want to change the seedings.

It is possible that Venus could be bumped up, but it is not a certainty.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Venus hasn't been able to defend her pts so far ....

well said like that, it sounds like she's having awful results which is not true! If Venus has not been able to defend her pts, it's just because she hasn't played much this year ... but each time she played, she's had relatively good results actually. Comparing her 2003 results with 2002's:

Gold Coast: didn't play
AO: Finals (better than last year)
Paris: didn't play
Antwerp: WON (same result)
Miami: 4th round (worse)
Amelia Island: didn't play
Hamburg: not played
Warsaw: finals (same result as Hamburg last year)

So as you see, she has done pretty much the same as last year ... each time she has played a tournament!

My pt is : YES she has tons of pts to defend in the next months, but Venus is good at defending pts. I wouldn't be worried about Venus's ranking ... if she plays, she will stay top2-3 ... with no problem!

With Serena's loss today against Mauresmo, RG winner has become a little more uncertain. And if Venus is healthy, she will be a legitimate contender, as anyone else!
As for Wimbledon or the summer season, her results of the last 3 years, speak for themselves. I'm very confident that Venus will stay top2-3 for the rest of the year (if she plays of course). A GS win would definitely guarantee it anyway ...

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Thanks Joao. I really didn't mean it that way. She hasn't been able to defend her points for one reason or another. She pulled out, she got beaten early, she got injured. I didn't mean to sound like she hasn't defened them because she's playing that she's playing like crap.

That's the problem I guess on the tennis boards. Somebody gets bent by one phrase.

I think Venus is going to have to play very well to defend all her points. But, if you look at more than the one phrase that you took out of context, you will see that I wound up with the same conclusion as you.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I dont think Venus is out? Anyway, I doubt she will do as well in RG this year because of two factors. The first is the unjury, its a painfull one were you are barly able to move for the first few days never mind train, or SERVE. Second clay isnt Venus' vest surface so having only played the one event 3 weeks beforehand could hamper her a little.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Sonn Venus fans will be able to appreciate what Monica fans already know, that a slide down the rankings doesn't always mean other players are surpassing your ability.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
niceman said:
she has 4508 points so far,

but she has 3274 points in safe points with both RG, Wim points off,
Lindsay is 3304 in safe points, so if Lindsay does better
than Venus in both events, Venus wont be
able to make TOP 4.......

then she 3 titles to defend, 2298 points in safe
points leading up to US Open................

according to ranking points right now,
she has to reach about 4000 points to make it to #4,

so 1600 points is what she has to make in 5 tournaments
for her to come.......

if she pulls out of RG......she probably wont be able to make
it back to TOP 4 by US Open.............

it'll be interesting to see who the TOP 4 are after Wimbies......:)
Lindsay is the only player playing out there.

Surely Justine or Amelie don't count :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts