Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Venus and Serena switching the Italian and German opens, both TI events, it had me thinking (not for the first time LOL). If you were a tournament director and you had only one slot remaining and both Venus and Serena expressed an interest in playing, to whom would you give the slot and why?

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
It seems that the only player one should want outside of the #1 player in a tournament would be Anna Kournikova.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pureracket said:
It seems that the only player one should want outside of the #1 player in a tournament would be Anna Kournikova.

Generally speaking I would tend to agree that there is some inherent marquee value in being #1, however given the popularity of BOTH Venus and Serena, I think in this case it would be a toss-up.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
You're probably right.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Yeah, it would be a toss-up. However, if I was a tourney director, I'd certainly want ONE of them. It makes little difference to me which one, as long as ONE of them come. If both, BONUS! If none, OH SH*T!

Right now, Serena is the more glam of the two, so I may choose her over Venus. But Venus is so classy. She does clinics and press and is very gracious to the tournament crew. She is the favourite at the Pilot Pen!

So given the choice, I'd want:

-a Williams star :hearts:
-a Belgian star :cool:
-Monica Seles :worship:
-Alicia Molik ;)

And then the standard collection of top 10, top 20, top 50 players for the rest of the draw.

·
Original Queen, Majestic V!
4,897 Posts
I'd choose the higher ranked player. It's more prestigious to claim/advertise/promote a tourney with the 'Top Ranking'. 'Sides, the marketing appeal (‘tween V&S) is marginal. Why divert from current form?

BTW, the Eleanor Roosevelt quote in your sig. is admirable ... in utopia. Reading Mathabane's 'Kaffir Boy' or Wright's 'Black Boy' should debunk the lie that folks always permit/allow/invite inferiority. Sometimes it's presented with persuasive violence and relentless delivery. If you've never known personal integrity ...

RHR, black and green?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would choose Vee, because she needs to win more. serena has a good amount of tourneys under her belt, so i'd choose for that reason and that one alone, however, if they were equal, just wiothin the last year.....toss a coin baby....heads or tails lol.

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
For the sake of money and the tournament, and as the tourney director, then I would choose the higher ranked player...which is Serena at the moment. Although I do like Venus a lot more and as a fan I would choose her.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
i'd choose Venus but a tournament director will surely choose Serena over Venus.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Maybe it's tough decision if you are considering it as a fan of the sisters and thinking what would be good for them. But if you are thinking of your tornament and of promotion it's quite clear:

1. Serena is ranked no. 1

2. Serena is obviously the best player right now (OK, she got beaten once, that only makes her participation more interesting: If she enters it's possible - of course a big shock, but possible - to beat her. That would make a big story: more publicity. If she wins: Serena's unbeaten streak starting once again!).

3. It's clear who wins lately when the sisters play against each other: so it's logical to take "the better sister".

4. Serena is bigger star of court (does more publicity, hollywood, modeling ...)

Venus is most likely a great person and she looks good on posters (not to mention her much better dress sense - but even here Serena wins from a point of a tournament director: she dresses less elegantly and "pretty", but more flashy (catsuit, football outfit - something to talk about).

So I might personaly like Venus better, but if I was a tournament director and had a choice, I wouldn't even think about who to take (as we could see with German open director: he was glad that he got at least Venus - not his exact words, but the same meaning).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maya said:
Maybe it's tough decision if you are considering it as a fan of the sisters and thinking what would be good for them. But if you are thinking of your tornament and of promotion it's quite clear:

1. Serena is ranked no. 1

2. Serena is obviously the best player right now (OK, she got beaten once, that only makes her participation more interesting: If she enters it's possible - of course a big shock, but possible - to beat her. That would make a big story: more publicity. If she wins: Serena's unbeaten streak starting once again!).

3. It's clear who wins lately when the sisters play against each other: so it's logical to take "the better sister".

4. Serena is bigger star of court (does more publicity, hollywood, modeling ...)

Venus is most likely a great person and she looks good on posters (not to mention her much better dress sense - but even here Serena wins from a point of a tournament director: she dresses less elegantly and "pretty", but more flashy (catsuit, football outfit - something to talk about).

So I might personaly like Venus better, but if I was a tournament director and had a choice, I wouldn't even think about who to take (as we could see with German open director: he was glad that he got "at least Venus").

Maya,

Good points all around, but I must say I found that "at least Venus" quote very insulting. A tournament director should have chosen their words more carefully.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
calabar said:
Maya,

Good points all around, but I must say I found that "at least Venus" quote very insulting. A tournament director should have chosen their words more carefully.

I must point out this was not a direct quote (just the content) - I will correct it in my original post, so that there's no confusion; what he said was in German and it was obvious he wanted Serena (but would take Venus). This was the 1. comment - he later stated how happy he was Venus is comming and everything (of course, he had to promote his tournament), but it was obvious (at least at first, before he went through selfcensorship) that he was very disapointed he won't get Serena (and that Venus is good and everything, but she ISN'T Serena). Something like the main prize - second prize (both are good, but we all know what we want).

I must apologise if I didn't express myself correctly - I don't want a poor director suffering because of it ;)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts