Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though it was low quality, I still think it's what a final should be like.

High drama, close score, and at the end, when it truly mattered, there was an increase in the level of play by both players!

:worship: To Venus and Davenport for that entertaining display of tennis today!

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I agree, when you've got two players going hitting big and going for their shots, its hard to have a positive winners/ufe ratio. I thought that today's final was pretty good.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
the final was awesome. Anyone who saw the match can attest to that. Davvy hit some unbelievable shots, and Venus' defense was:eek: .

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
The match was one of the best I've seen this year.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Don't get fooled by the numbers! This was NOT a low quality match. On the contrary ...

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
i thought it was great hitting and great shotmaking. i never go by numbers really. venus on the run at times was pretty classic with lindsay dictating on some points. venus's forehand was so off and on though. i've never seen her hit soooo many beautiful winners and also have some inexplicable errors. but i loved today's match.

·
Registered
880 Posts
backhanddtl4 said:
Even though it was low quality, I still think it's what a final should be like.

High drama, close score, and at the end, when it truly mattered, there was an increase in the level of play by both players!

:worship: To Venus and Davenport for that entertaining display of tennis today!
Numbers and stats don't alwayz paint an accurate picture, that match was anything but "low quality". There were some spectacular shots played all throughout- unbelievable winners (especially from Venus). Both players showed tremendous nerve playing their best tennis in crucial points denying their opponent break points. As for wanting a competitive match- you couldn't ask for a more competitive match.

Good job for both ladies, great for us tennis fans- and that's what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, when most of the rallys are baseline slug fests by both of these big babe heavy hitting monsters, a lot of errors can be expected, as well as a lot of winners.

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
The reason they had so many errors is coz they HAD to go for their shots, if Venus went for consistancy and just placed them into court, Lindsay would HAMMER them. I remember a point in the 3rd, Venus hit a loopy ball to Lindsay's forehand, and Linds smacked the shit out of it for a stunning CC winner.

The third set tie-break was good quality aswell, Linds forced V into a few errors at CRUCIAL stages, which is what made the difference, Lindsay was able to come up with the goods at the most important times.

The match was great though, by NO means poor quality.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Lindz came in with a strategy, go for the weaker side of Venus, and it worked. It is true that if Venus' shots had went in, it may be a different score, but what about all year long. Her forehand hasnt been on all year. Lindsay just had a better strategy. I think that Venus should have had some sort of strategy as well and not just try to hit with Lindsay. I dont think many women on the tour could just hit with any of them. Venus was forced to go for more and she had errors. Lindsay is a smart player and she knew that she couldnt just sit back there and hit, she had to have something and she went for hard and deep shots to the forehand and it worked. Well played.
Venus did have some amazing winners. Didnt she have like 52 winners. Although she had lots of UFE, she knew she had to go for a lot, but that's what Davy does do a player. I dont think Venus beat herself, she just got out-smarted.

·
Banned
475 Posts
Keep going to Vee's forehand soon enough it will become a dominant weapon. Once before the players never went to her forehand but now they are doing it and eventually it will become a perfect shot for Vee. Practice makes perfect.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
It was Awful by a Williams standard. Once she corrects that forehand its all over.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ballbuster said:
It was Awful by a Williams standard. Once she corrects that forehand its all over.
How so? Even at their primes both WS's had a good number of forehand errors. Plus Davenport made her hit SO many.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
yes, i agree... i went over my brothers house for dinner last night, and my brother and my father (who never watch tennis really unless its a slam and it happens to be on) sat around with me and watched the match attentively ... cheering with me when davenport hit a winner or venus one of many ue's ... groaning when she would miss... it was fun ... i must say, that it was a very closely contested match and there were long exciting rallies so i had fun watching it... not to mention, one more game to davenport in the second set, and it would have been the closet score possible

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quite simply, I thought it was the best women's match I have seen in a long time. The fierceness of both women was evident. So there were lots of errors? Only because they were both giving it all they had and a little more besides.

An aside: I now get The Tennis Channel and the other day watched a classic match between Virginia Wade and Evonne Goolagong from Hilton Head in 1977. It was quite interesting to see how much the game has changed. What I especially noticed was that when either of them hit the ball, the sound was a lady-like whack. When Venus or Lindsay hit the ball the sound is a violent THWACK and you can almost see the sound waves flowing across the court.

Anyway, thanks to both ladies for one hell of an exciting final.

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
I thought this was quite an interesting comment made by Lindsay after the match:

"We both played a really close match, we played our absolute best," Davenport said. "Every set was so close, a few points here and there. I tried to mentally stay tough and play agressive even tough that brought me some unforced errors."
So Lindsay thought Venus played pretty well :)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
lindsay came in on break points, hit beautiful volleys, and all her shots were painting the lines, screaming winners on every point..i dont think there was too much hesitation, bad choices...the match was great...both went for it all

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Andrew. said:
The match was one of the best I've seen this year.
i agree, even better because she won :D:D:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts