Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Venus and Serena are very equal at the back of the court, but Venus holds the edge up at net.

How 'bout that?? :D

Advantage Venus Williams. :lol:

:p

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Venus is the weaker of the sister. She doesnt want it as much. See USO vs Davenport 01, and you can see how much Serena wants it.

Venus also cant play subtle shots like Serena can.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
They are both evenly matched, but when they are both on...Venus´s got more obvious weaknesses than Serena´s.

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Venus has the tennis brain. She's smarter, IMO.

While Venus forehand is erractic, so is Serena's. Venus, more of the time, is trying to be TOO aggressive. I'd say 90% of her forehands that are missed, are missed BIG. Too aggressive.

The serve...it's no secret that Serena has a more CONSISTENT serve, but first serve Venus has the edge. And frankly, no second serve in women's tennis is good. Serena may have the best, but I've seen players attack it all year. But the reason people bash Venus' is because she doesn't beat Serena. And the reason she doesn't beat Serena isn't because she's the lesser player. There is clearly mental restrictions.

Venus and Serena are so close in EVERYTHING, that they should not be dominating each other. Their H2H should be even, which is hasn't been in the last year and a half.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Venus has the tennis brain. She's smarter, IMO.

While Venus forehand is erractic, so is Serena's. Venus, more of the time, is trying to be TOO aggressive. I'd say 90% of her forehands that are missed, are missed BIG. Too aggressive.

The serve...it's no secret that Serena has a more CONSISTENT serve, but first serve Venus has the edge. And frankly, no second serve in women's tennis is good. Serena may have the best, but I've seen players attack it all year. But the reason people bash Venus' is because she doesn't beat Serena. And the reason she doesn't beat Serena isn't because she's the lesser player. There is clearly mental restrictions.

Venus and Serena are so close in EVERYTHING, that they should not be dominating each other. Their H2H should be even, which is hasn't been in the last year and a half.
You got a point here.....they shouldn´t be dominating each other...it should be more evenly spreaded..

·
Banned
27,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well when one player is without a doubt better than the other, domination is possible

Venus dominated Serena in the beginning
Serena dominates Venus now

its not that hard....just take another players name

Venus dominates Henin because she is better

understand now?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Sweets_SJW said:
now thats a good assessment :p

what about serve and forehand?? ;)
First Serve - Venus
Second Serve - Serena

Forehand - Serena
Backhand - Venus

Groundstrokes - Same

Traditional Volleys - Venus

Overhead - Venus

Swinging Volleys - Venus

Mental - Venus

I count more Venus' there. :p

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Sweets_SJW said:
well when one player is without a doubt better than the other, domination is possible

Venus dominated Serena in the beginning
Serena dominates Venus now

its not that hard....just take another players name

Venus dominates Henin because she is better

understand now?
Venus dominated Serena, not because she was the better player...because Venus was tougher mentally.

Serena "dominates" Venus, not because she's the better player, because Venus doesn't play hard against Serena

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Venus dominated Serena, not because she was the better player...because Venus was tougher mentally.

Serena "dominates" Venus, not because she's the better player, because Venus doesn't play hard against Serena
Right now I think Serena´s as mentally though as Venus...

·
Banned
27,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VeNuS FoReVeR said:
First Serve - Venus
Second Serve - Serena

Forehand - Serena
Backhand - Venus

Groundstrokes - Same

Traditional Volleys - Venus

Overhead - Venus

Swinging Volleys - Venus

Mental - Venus

I count more Venus' there. :p
why are u making more categories than needs be? why dont u do crosscourt f/h, d-t-l fh, in-to-out fh etc then?

first serve-Serena

second serve- Serena

forehand-Serena

backhand-Venus

volleys-Venus

movement along baseline-Venus

movement up to net-Serena

4-3 Serena

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Sweets_SJW said:
some people think this, and ive calmed down and im now open to reasons WHY this is so ;)
If they are both playing their best then it is too close to call.

We can talk about their serves, but basically whoever gets a better percentage of first serves will win a serve battle. Serena has a better second serve, but Venus attacks it just the same. As far as overall serve, we know Serena has a better motion which translates to a more reliable serve in pressure situations, so she has the serve edge.

Serena's forehand is more fluent than Venus, Serena has a good follow through, and a good DTL forehand, where Venus has some trouble with DTL forehands. Of course we know Venus' backhand is better than Serena's

Movement is a push. Serena has slightly better foot speed and quickness, but Venus makes up for that with amazing reach.

Net play, Venus has the edge. She is more comfortable at the net than Serena, and hits better tradtional volleys. They both hit good swing volleys.

Mental toughness is a bit confusing to call because I think Venus is more mentally tough against everyone else EXCEPT Serena, but when on the court with Serena from US Open 2001, to AO 2003, Serena has been mentally tougher in their matchups. Venus finally got over this at Wimbledon, but of course the stomach injury limited her chances. At times Serena can get psyched out at the end of a match she is close to losing, and sort of accepts defeat.(Ex. against Kim at the year end champs, against Henin with Henin serving for the match at 6-5 at the FO). Venus never gives up until she is shaking hands at the net(except against Serena). In their own H2H Serena is more tougher mentally, but overall Venus is more mentally tough.

Basically, I'm saying that I can really choose who is better. Right now Serena is better because she has been mentally tougher in their H2H, but for overall ability, it's too close to call.

·
Banned
27,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Knizzle said:
If they are both playing their best then it is too close to call.

We can talk about their serves, but basically whoever gets a better percentage of first serves will win a serve battle. Serena has a better second serve, but Venus attacks it just the same. As far as overall serve, we know Serena has a better motion which translates to a more reliable serve in pressure situations, so she has the serve edge.

Serena's forehand is more fluent than Venus, Serena has a good follow through, and a good DTL forehand, where Venus has some trouble with DTL forehands. Of course we know Venus' backhand is better than Serena's

Movement is a push. Serena has slightly better foot speed and quickness, but Venus makes up for that with amazing reach.

Net play, Venus has the edge. She is more comfortable at the net than Serena, and hits better tradtional volleys. They both hit good swing volleys.

Mental toughness is a bit confusing to call because I think Venus is more mentally tough against everyone else EXCEPT Serena, but when on the court with Serena from US Open 2001, to AO 2003, Serena has been mentally tougher in their matchups. Venus finally got over this at Wimbledon, but of course the stomach injury limited her chances. At times Serena can get psyched out at the end of a match she is close to losing, and sort of accepts defeat.(Ex. against Kim at the year end champs, against Henin with Henin serving for the match at 6-5 at the FO). Venus never gives up until she is shaking hands at the net(except against Serena). In their own H2H Serena is more tougher mentally, but overall Venus is more mentally tough.

Basically, I'm saying that I can really choose who is better. Right now Serena is better because she has been mentally tougher in their H2H, but for overall ability, it's too close to call.
good analysis, dont necessarily agree with ALL youve said, but its well thought out and well explained.

basically, you didnt make urself look like a fool :)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Venus has the better fashion sense.

Venus' wit is more developed and honed.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
for me it's tough to tell. whe venus plays someone other than serena i think she is a better player but when they play each other serena gets on top of venus and serena is the one with the better results so far. i guess at the moment i would say serena is the best but purely because she is mentally stronger against her sister. but both have shown weakness this year serena losing to henin in RG semis and venus losing to zvonareva in the fourth round. both were in those matches in the last set and i would have expected them to have gone away with wins but neither did.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.