Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Venus was interviewed on court by Rennae Stubbs on TTC right after the match. She stated that she was overconfident leading 6-1 5-1 and thought that she had it. And even at 5-4, she was still overconfident and promised not to do that again.

She was leading 6-1 5-1. She should have won the match 6-1 6-1. All of a sudden, she started making unforced errors and double faults. Ashley started to play a lot better and saved 4 match points. This could have been one of those nightmare matches for her. Rennae Stubbs was 100% correct about Venus disappearing in her matches these days. It's a relief she finished it off in the tiebreak.

·
Registered
23,442 Posts
Re: Venus: "I was over confident. I won't do it again"

Sure she won't. She does it all the time. Not necessarily overconfidence but hitting errors all over the place.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sure she won't. She does it all the time. Not necessarily overconfidence but hitting errors all over the place.
That's true!

·
Banned
25,958 Posts

Good to hear. Time to take out Jelena :D

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts

I hope she just works on her shots over the next couple of days. She can beat Jelena, she almost did :shrug: and it was recent too, so I mean she really should feel like she's got a decent shot, but she's gotta stay calm and focused throughout.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
the overconfidence stemmed from the record breaking serve. Once Venus realized that she broke the record, she could not contain her joy, lost her focus and nearly gave me a heart-attack. I had to slap her silly to get her back on track

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
the overconfidence stemmed from the record breaking serve. Once Venus realized that she broke the record, she could not contain her joy, lost her focus and nearly gave me a heart-attack. I had to slap her silly to get her back on track
Yeah that's pretty much it, she got a little to happy on the court and lost focus.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

I noticed at 5-2 she was a bit excited and was really forcing her shots and missing. Suddenly, a down and out Harkelroad began to play better which upped the pressure. Venus felt the pressure and could not get a lst serve in if her life depended on it. To Venus' credit she played her best tennis when she was down.

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,309 Posts
Venus had a lapse, its happened to a lot of players at some stage. Through the errors and doubles towards the end of the match, i took good signs of the fact Venus was so comitted to her shots when down set-points. If she was really feeling the pressure or choking, she'd probably be struggling in a third set now. I'm liking how Venus is playing though. I know many may disagree, but Venus is moving great and she's moving forward a lot. All positive signs for Venus:D

Also, a new record:worship:

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did she know she broke the record? And even if she knew, she couldn't have been over joy about that. She knows she needs to win matches, not being over joy about a 129 MPH serve. She probably has hit this speed before in practice and even higher.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
She has to find that perfect place between confident and relaxed. She needs to believe that she can beat anybody on the court, but she can't take anybody for grantic. I'm happy to hear that recognizes the problem and is committed to fixing it. It will be a tough round with Jelena because Jelena is very confident against Venus. I'm just glad she regrouped against Ashley.

Go Venus!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Unglaublich! venus had matchpoint when I left the office to go to the cafeteria, thinking she has given the girl breadsticks to take home with. I could not believe my eyes, when I came back. It could have easily gone to a 3rd set, which she probably would have lost. She loses focus and concentration all the time.
The first few games against Cornet, she was super and supreme, all of a sudden, it turned into a dog-fight. Something is definitely wrong here!:devil:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Venus will take the positives from this match and leave the rest of the negatives for her enemies. That's what she does. She knows she should have won the match 61 61, but it didn't happen. It's these kinds of matches that slowly re-builds confidence and mental fortitude which is what she needs most right now.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She has to find that perfect place between confident and relaxed. She needs to believe that she can beat anybody on the court, but she can't take anybody for grantic. I'm happy to hear that recognizes the problem and is committed to fixing it. It will be a tough round with Jelena because Jelena is very confident against Venus. I'm just glad she regrouped against Ashley.

Go Venus!!
She also said in the interview she was relaxed. I suppose she too relaxed.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could care less about the service record:fiery:
Same here. Too me that's really nothing be so happy about. What's the point of hitting a 129 MPH serve if she's also hitting double faults in crucial games?

Reactions: servenrichie
1 - 20 of 20 Posts