Tennis Forum banner

Right/Wrong

• Right, she is a tennis star, and she deserves it.

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Wrong, Venus still does not perform like she is top 3 in the world as indicated by WTA.

Votes: 44 65.7%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As close as Lindsay's match is with Venus, the truth is Venus still didnt beat top 5 this year.
And her chances of using the special seeding is running out.
I would like to ask you if you think WTA is actually wrong to continue her sepcial seedings.
Venus has yet to justify her special seeding.

Next week at LA will be her final chance to prove herself. This will probably be the last Tier II event she will play this year. And if she wants to beat a top 10, Ai Sugiyama #10 is at her quarter, and Lindsay is scheduled to meet her in the semi, and Serena, with a cakewalk draw, will be waiting for Venus in the final. If she beats these girls in a row. Then all will be justified.
But if she loses to Meghan before the quarters, then :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well I dont know I do think the rule should be changed however. For someone like Venus it doesnt really matter what she is seeded, she should do well at most tournaments. I think 10 tournaments with the SR is far too many for someone of her calibre.

But when you look at what Anne Kremer is doing, playing both a mixture of challengers and using her her special seeded events to get back up where she needs to be, I think that the rule is perfectly suited to that, as really she has been out of the game for nearly two years and does need it in all fairness to get back up there.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
CJK said:
As close as Lindsay's match is with Venus, the truth is Venus still didnt beat top 5 this year.
And her chances of using the special seeding is running out.
I would like to you if you think WTA is actually wrong to continue the seedings.
Venus has yet to justify her special seeding.
well Venus has played a top tenner just 3 times. 2 of them were in third set tiebreaks and Venus had opportunities to win both of those matches. The other loss was to the eventual winner of the grand slam.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
No, special seedings aren't bad at all. But they can get to be overdone. I think players should get special seedings for their first 5 tourtnaments back. After those 5 events, the ATP?WTA can do an evaulation of his/her success and see if that player deserves to continue using his/her protected ranking for a bit longer. Also, it should be the same rules for everybody. If I recall correctly, Davenport did not get seeded with her protected ranking for more than 5 events, unlike Venus who has used it 10 times this year?! :eek: Also, wasn't Panova snubbed when she asked for a special seeding at the beginning of this year after being out since early 2003? That doesn't seem fair when you see all the benefits the Williams are getting from the tournament directors.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
iLuVenuSerena said:
well Venus has played a top tenner just 3 times. 2 of them were in third set tiebreaks and Venus had opportunities to win both of those matches. The other loss was to the eventual winner of the grand slam.
she has played only 3 because she has lost so early at all her other tournaments, or she played crap events. (yes, a tier 1 and a tier 2, but both were ridiculously weak:eek: )

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I thought the special seeding deal was for 6 tournaments not including the slams. Or wsa it for 8 tournaments not including the slams?

Surely even with the light schedule Venus and Serena play the special seeding time must soon be over. If it was for 8 tournaments, that's about the amount of tournaments (not including slams) each of them play in a 12 month period anyway, so that would mean about one year of special seedings.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If the WTA has decided to implement the special seeding to benefit a player who has been out for a long time then it should not be a problem when any player benefits from it. Lindsay took advantage of it a couple of years ago, so why now should it be a problem if players who may not be your favourites now benefit from it. With just 10 tournaments so far (3 of which are Slams and dont count) for Venus, and 6 (with 2 Slams) for Serena, they still continue to benefit from the seeding. Venus' should be up soon, but Serena still has a way to go. The only reason it seems solong is because they dont play week in week out like some other players who could certainly have used up theirs in 2 1/2 months. In fact Serena's could go well into next year and the strange thing is that if Kim and Justine are out longer than anyone would like, they would be on it at the same time...(that is if Miss Kim, who is well known for "doing it for the fans" doesnt decide to come back earlier than would be advised and risk further injury). Wouldnt it be really interesting and indeed laughable to see how the WTA will decide where to rank which player.......especialy if Serena does well in the latter part of this year and rise in the rankings. Now that will be a joke. I am sure then the WTA will probably decide that having one or more of them out (withdrawing from a tourney) not so bad since it will save tham having to make the decision of the seedings.......lol.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Chriskip said:
If the WTA has decided to implement the special seeding to benefit a player who has been out for a long time then it should not be a problem when any player benefits from it. Lindsay took advantage of it a couple of years ago, so why now should it be a problem if players who may not be your favourites now benefit from it. With just 10 tournaments so far (3 of which are Slams and dont count) for Venus, and 6 (with 2 Slams) for Serena, they still continue to benefit from the seeding. Venus' should be up soon, but Serena still has a way to go. The only reason it seems solong is because they dont play week in week out like some other players who could certainly have used up theirs in 2 1/2 months. In fact Serena's could go well into next year and the strange thing is that if Kim and Justine are out longer than anyone would like, they would be on it at the same time...(that is if Miss Kim, who is well known for "doing it for the fans" doesnt decide to come back earlier than would be advised and risk further injury). Wouldnt it be really interesting and indeed laughable to see how the WTA will decide where to rank which player.......especialy if Serena does well in the latter part of this year and rise in the rankings. Now that will be a joke. I am sure then the WTA will probably decide that having one or more of them out (withdrawing from a tourney) not so bad since it will save tham having to make the decision of the seedings.......lol.
Lindsay did not get as many tournaments as Venus, and Lindsay lived up to her special seeding on all but one occasion.

·
Banned
62 Posts
I was surprised Venus is still receiving and has it again this week.

Isn't the J.P. Morgan her 10th or 11th Tournament for the year?.

This is not directed at Venus personally, but don't you think the special seeding has gone on long enough?

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
This is only the 2nd fricken top 5 person she's played!!!!!!! Know the rules about special ranking before you comlain about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Fishnick said:
I was surprised Venus is still receiving and has it again this week.

Isn't the J.P. Morgan her 10th or 11th Tournament for the year?.

This is not directed at Venus personally, but don't you think the special seeding has gone on long enough?
venus didnt even need it this week, she would've been seeded second without the special seeding:confused:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Why can't people understand the SR rules? GS do not count ... Venus has used 7 out of her 8 SR. Next week it will be her last time. She is not getting any special treatment by the WTA!:rolleyes:

Reactions: pcrtennis

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Actually they might give it to her whether or not they thought she deserved it. They might do it for some commercial reason, for example (e.g. thinking that people want to see Venus in semifinals and finals of tournaments, and making her path easier with a special seeding would boost attendances).

Be that as it may, I think it is fair enough - that she does deserve it - and would even favour extending it slightly. OTOH, the same rule should apply to others who get a protected ranking in the future.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
joao said:
She is not getting any special treatment by the WTA!:rolleyes:
You mean she is not getting any special treatment "anymore".
Looking at the poll, I think it's obvious quite a few people do not agree with Venus getting the special seeding without justifying the WTA's continuance of the seeding. Next week will probably be the last Tier II event Venus is playing this year. If she does not do well there to get her ranking up, then she wont have such a jolly time in tougher Tier I draws like San Diego next week where she will be seeded out of top 8.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Ok people, would you rather have Venus play Davenport in the finals where you can actually watch it on t.v or have Venus play Davenport in the quarters where you can't watch it on t.v. The point is, Venus is a premiere player. People want to see her play against the other premiere players in the finals or semi-finals so that the matches can be shown on t.v. Had Venus not had a special ranking, we probably wouldn't have been able to see today's match on tv. I'd prefer her with the special ranking.

·
Premium Member
20,795 Posts
Well if people have such a problem the issue is with the WTA not Venus. She doesn't have that much power, although many seem to think she does. They are giving it to her, I don't even hear her talking about the special ranking.

·
Banned
62 Posts
franny said:
Ok people, would you rather have Venus play Davenport in the finals where you can actually watch it on t.v or have Venus play Davenport in the quarters where you can't watch it on t.v. The point is, Venus is a premiere player. People want to see her play against the other premiere players in the finals or semi-finals so that the matches can be shown on t.v. Had Venus not had a special ranking, we probably wouldn't have been able to see today's match on tv. I'd prefer her with the special ranking.

What has your personal choices got to do with the price of tea in china?

I believe that this rule needs to be looked at, because it seems silly that the special ranking lasts this long. Venus, by any standards, was ready by the French. Everything else has been a bonus. A player should not be getting a special ranking some 7 months and 11 tournaments after returning to the tour, I mean any player, not just this particular player. The fact that Venus is seeded number 2 this week at the jpmorgan is not justified nor justifiable. I hope looking at this rule is on the wta's "to do" list.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I atleast understood the seeding when she was just returning to tennis. But now it looks like she's not going to improve much in the next month or so. She had enough time to improve her ranking, but all she is doing for half a year now is dropping. Cut the special seeding!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts