Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no one to trouble her in the first four rounds. She is seeded to meet Capriati, Henin, and then Clijsters for the title. She is a combined 16-2 against them(not counting the 5-0 retire against Kim). Who can stop Venus from taking this title?? One person: Venus

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
That all sounds well and good, but Venus has been known to fall to up and comers.

Schett,Shultz,Vera,Mehgan.....
She needs to be focussed and determined in ea. match, not just the aforementioned players.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
i believe this is her first cakewalk ever isn't it?

i hope she takes this opportunity! i am really hoping she ends up facing jennifer, justine and then kim. taking all these players out will show why williamses dominate so.

the thing is, everyone has reverted so close over to serena, that this is venus' chance to show, that not only does serena on the tour and venus, but venus owns the tour except for serena :)

take it to them queen! be extra healthy, after looking at this draw, she has to w/out a doubt, know she can cruz to the title! it should make her want to treat her injury even more than what she needs to!

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Had Vera EVER beaten Venus before she beat her at RG ? I guess not . So you never know ...Jenny if she gets to the QF beating players like Sharapova and Elena D. then she could very well beat Venus !

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
That all sounds well and good, but Venus has been known to fall to up and comers.

Schett,Shultz,Vera,Mehgan.....
She needs to be focussed and determined in ea. match, not just the aforementioned players.
that is true, but i believe she has faced the majority of the players in her half. i think Jennifer has the most up and commers. even sharapova. i question jennifer's arm. its bout like venus', can flare up or whatever on her quick. i hope both ladies are healthy enough to duke it out in the quarters. venus should make justine look like her hardcourt prep greatness wasn't nothin!

take it to them queen!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
This is not a cakewalk. Yes the First four rounds seem very manageable but how do we know what venus' health is? wasn't she looking great until she reinjured herself during wimbledon? Take nothing for granted because anything can happen.

Jen can undergo a transformation and make a run.

Justine is an improved player.

Kim oddly enough im not that concerned about if she meets venus in the final.

·
Registered
17,877 Posts
I just hope she's healthy and doesn't let her guard down since she falls to the most unlikely people at times. If she gets into the QF's unchallenged, meaning routine straight set victories, she should c-walk into the finals. I would pay to see her c-walk, actually. :lol:

·
double-dog daredevil
11,675 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
This is not a cakewalk. Yes the First four rounds seem very manageable but how do we know what venus' health is?
Not to mention that she tends to look less sharp in the early rounds ("less sharp" for her, that is). I think she'd almost be better off with a bigger challenge early on.

Here's to a Venus-Momo rematch in the finals!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Cakewalk? Mmhhh ... I'd call Justine's draw a cakewalk. In the early rounds it is almost never that hard (except if you'd have Sharapova, Harkleroad or Sprem). The 4th round against Sugiyama is not the easiest you can get. Ai is a very solid player on HC. The quarters must be one of the hardest if Jennifer is healthy (other is Kim vs. Amelie). The semi against Justine may be a trap because she hasn't played Justine from januari and Justine has become a MUCH stronger player then. If Kim would lose early to Sprem or someone else, Justine will be very motivated since she could get the no. 1 spot.

No cakewalk. Just a balanced draw. Easy in early rounds, harder at the end.

Reactions: SJW

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
yes, I agree, on the surface, if venus is healthy, the draw looks pretty decent for her... as much as I like jenny, I don't see her giving an in-form (even half out of form)Venus a lot of trouble.

boy, you look at this draw and you FEEL the impact of losing serena and seles. the draw FEELS lighter to me all around..

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
No one can say they are giving this to Clijsters and making it tough on Venus...

·
Registered
17,877 Posts
Raa, I know what you mean... this is USO lite. :sad:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Myskina and Chanda really benefit.... although Chanda has had such poor form at the slams its hard to say how she'll do.. but she SHOULD get past everyone in her 1/8 into the qfs vs. Lindsay. and chanda vs. Lindsay could be a GREAT match up... chanda's all-court game vs. Linsday's power play....

Myskina vs. henin possible qf... I see an easy time for justine here.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Well, assuming:
- A Qualifier
- Pisnik
- Schiavone
- Sugiyama
- Capriati
- Henin-H
- Clijsters

that's a pretty good draw for an in-form Venus. A year or so ago, we'd certainly call that a cakewalk.

Now, is she in form?
Also, this year, we're dealing with two confident Belgians haloed one with a Slam title and the other with the #1 ranking.

Ahgg! My girl should plough through that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.