Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She just pushed a top 5 player to a third set and it's hte second tournament in a row where she has been extremely close to winning against one of the best players on tour.. on her WORST SURFACE!

Yet, everyone is killing her :rolleyes: I love VEnus and I'm happy that so far, she is doing much better than 2006 and 2005. Last year, Venus was playing TERRIBLY. She was lucky she made the French quarters and if it weren't for lucking out and drawing Patty, she probably would have lost earlier.

As fans, you should be proud she's making progress. She choked... yes, but it's better than last years drubbing by Sveta(who is arguably the second-best player on clay right now).

She's getting better, not worse and when her ranking improves, she should be able to avoid these tough early round matches.

----
What do you expect from her? She hasn't won a Tier I in 3 years and Wimbledon 2005 was more of an anomaly. The expectations were too high this year, esp. since she's coming back from injury.

Reactions: CrossCourt~Rally

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
She played 2 great matches against Misa and Dementieva :yeah:
And she played a great clay court player like Kuznetsova well. :)

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I'm just tired of her serve being a liability. She needs to find a way to fix it, just as she fixed her forehand.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
give her some time.. its only been a few tournaments..

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Everytime some people are going to talk about the losses of a great player
Its not something new

I'm just very positive about Venus and have a lot of faith in herself.
I know Venus will win some good tournaments this year, I'm sure of it.

Just give her some time, We know Venus is not the kind of player that can come from an injury and win a lot of tournaments.

I'm just really relax and I know Venus is too. She just lost, She didn't retire or something bad.

I mean if you're really a fan of her just wait and you'll see
Trust me

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Well I think the fans of Venus are disappointed because there is a marked difference between the self belief of Serena vs the self belief of Venus. I don't think if Serena was in the same position as Venus today that she would have lost because Serena constantly tells herself that she's the better player and she'll win regardless of how well or badly she's playing on a given day. Venus has become more consistant compared to last year and I think she just takes longer to build her confidence because there are obvious weaknesses in her game and every player knows that if they keep plugging away at her forehand it'll break down, that her second serve is attackable and her serve can go off leading to dementievaesque no's of double faults. I'm sure she'll keep practising and working hard and eventually everything will click - you just never know when that'll happen with Venus.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Well the fact that she is pushing top 10 players to 3rd sets shows that her game is improving since her comeback.

But the fact that she can't close out 3rd sets and loses leads all the time says that she hasnt got back her mental toughness yet. I think thats what the fans are upset about.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
giving away ONE break on clay against a player like Sveta is NOT choking. it is, simply, loosing your serve.

ahh! the word choking is so over-used these days; Where is Jana Novotna when you need her ;) (sorry jana fans :hug: )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts