Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see it posted here :confused:
It's not a big surprise but anyway...

from www.cnnsi.com

--------------------------------------------------------
Venus misses Pilot Pen deadline

Posted: Saturday August 09, 2003 4:46 PM
Updated: Saturday August 09, 2003 8:11 PM

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- The abdominal strain that has sidelined her since Wimbledon last month may keep Venus Williams from defending her Pilot Pen title.

Tournament officials told the New Haven Register it now appears Williams' slow recovery will likely keep her from competing in the New Haven event that runs Aug. 15-23 at the Connecticut Tennis Center.

Williams is the four-time defending Pilot Pen champ.

"I have been told she is really struggling with this injury, she still really wants to play the U.S. Open and it is unlikely she would be ready to play [in New Haven]," tournament director Anne Worcester told the newspaper.

Worcester is holding three wild cards for late entries.

Williams has pulled out of three events during the North American hardcourt season including Thursday's withdrawal from next weeks Rogers AT&T Cup in Toronto. She still has not asked for a wild card into the Pilot Pen according to IMG, her Cleveland-based representative group.

Worcester is optimistic that No. 8 Chanda Rubin, who also pulled out of the Toronto tournament on Thursday with a shoulder injury, could land in New Haven. She is also waiting on former No. 1 Monica Seles, who has been limited to 11 tournaments this season because of an injured foot. If Seles is healthy, she will receive one of the wild cards.

No. 4 ranked player Lindsay Davenport heads a field that includes 20 of the world's top 30 players.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Though this is bad news for Pilot Pen, this is good news for Venus in the sense that she (as yet) is not thinking about pulling out of the US Open because she really wants to play. I just hope she is ready because health comes first.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
lizchris said:
Though this is bad news for Pilot Pen, this is good news for Venus in the sense that she (as yet) is not thinking about pulling out of the US Open because she really wants to play. I just hope she is ready because health comes first.
Uhum, health is first. Get well soon queen! Now Pilot Pen will finally have a new champion!! damn, those sisters are really monopolizing tournaments!! U.S. open, Wimbledon, Nasdaq, Pilot Pen....

·
Registered
926 Posts
Wish she had enter this tourny cause then it would seem like she thinks she is ready to play, if she withdraws cause she ain't ready yet, then she got like 10 more days to rest up until the US Open

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Come on Venus! Get back in there, a GS would not be a GS if it were Williams'less.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
It would be like a tier 2 event :;-):

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
mboyle said:
too bad Serena isn't here. W/ Venus' ranking, it would be possible for her to have to beat Henin and Serena just to get to the finals:eek: . (not likely though)
Venus also got to the Wimbledon final without playing any warmups after the French, so getting to the US Open final shouldn't be too tough for her. You underestimate Venus.

P.S. Who is going to beat her??

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Felly Tournato said:
She has been since Monday. And she will stay there for next week.
Lindsay will only stay at #4 if she beats Kim today.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Venus most certainly can win the USO
w/o any preparation and cakwalk draw's(ala Clijsters).

It'll all come down to health.
Venus has two more weeks to rest.
I say we'll get a definite answer by the friday before the Open.

As long as Venus isn't hurt as bad as she was against Serena in the final I think she can muster the strength to make it through the draw and win! :bounce:

GO VENUS!!!

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Kabuke said:
Lindsay will only stay at #4 if she beats Kim today.
That's what I thought. Thank you for clarifying that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.