Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that Venus is still the better player. Kim only has the higher point total because she plays a ridiculous number of tourneys (nearly the tour average!)

So if we cut it down to a more reasonable quality based system, like best 14 results, we see Venus surge ahead.

Venus: 4028 points
Kim: 4951 points

Oh, um, OK. Well, 14 tournaments is still ridiculously high. Venus only has 12. Cut it down to 12 and Little Miss Kimmie won't fare so well.

Venus: 4028
Kim: 4592

Oh, sure. But Kim gets to dump all those bad tournaments. Let Venus dump a few of her freak early round losses and we'll see what's what. In a Best 10 tournament format Venus will kick her waffled little Belgian ass.

Venus: 3970
Kim: 4182

OK, that still doesn't go. But it's only the big events, the big wins that really matter. Even in a 10 best result format, Kim is still feeding off crap. Cut to "Best 8" and we'll seperate the Nubian Goddesses from the Little Belgian Girls.

Venus: 3651
Kim: 3712

Buit who really cares about little crap like winning Sydney? (Tier II pffft) Venus has 3 Slam Finals. Let's see the serious events, the ones Venus can be bothered with. In a best 6 format, she will spank Lleyton's little blond girlfriend and send her to her room.

Venus: 3064
Kim: 3067

SEE! SEE! The closer we get to the nitty-gritty, the closer they get. That's because Venus kicks ass at the big events, like the Slams. Watch a "Best 4 event ranking system".

Venus: 2441
Kim: 2287

SEE! I TOLD YOU! VENUS should be the real #2, not Kim! Venus brings the big stuff to the big events. She has more points from her "Best 4" than anyone on tour, except Serena, who also leads the current, flawed ranking system. Oh, and Justine. Justine's best 4 is 2544 points.

Ah, never mind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
that must have taken a lot of counting.

Truth is that Kim has played better tennis this year than Venus.

Venus however, is a veteran of the tour and Kim an up-and-comer.

giver her time folks...Kim will be
'the real no.1 in no time'

·
Registered
262 Posts
Leszcd2, it doesn't matter who the OFFICIAL #1 (or any other number) is, someone will come up with reason or equation why another player is the "REAL" # whatever. LOL

Will it ever end?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
pfft...I think Rankings should be determined only by your one highest result! Then Justine would be the undisputed number one! ;)

·
Premium Member
20,681 Posts
kim was out alot lats year because of injury and when she did play she lost early becuase she still had not fully recovered from it... Kim has had the better of venus this year as she has made it further in most tournies.... also it does not mater how many torunies they play..... No 1 is stopping venus from playing them.. Kim is a fulltime player on the circuit whereas with venus she is a partime.

Venus cant be too worried if she only plays 10tournies a year.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Very amusing, DH! :)
Yet, don't you think WB might bypass all that and seed Venus #2 anyway, based on her results on grass over the past three years?

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
omg that is so funny, ahahahaha, good one!

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Midnite Surfer said:
I still think there is a certain "quality" to having four straight grand slam finals under your belt.
Indeed. Monica had 6, or 8 if you forgive the one she missed. And won all but one. That doesn't mean Monica is the "Real #2" right now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You Belgian fan must be jumping out of your pants now, therefore enjoy your moment because it will all coming crashing to an end very soon. I can't wait to see the Williamses meet the Belgians again. Damn life is good.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ok I won't argue. But four grands in a row starting at the `02 Roland Garros is no small feat. Also losing to the number 1 player in each of them. That sounds like a very strong number 2 to me. But right now Kim is the number 2 player on the books so that is all there is to it.

Although I still think Venus is the second best female player on the planet.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Zenith said:
You Belgian fan must be jumping out of your pants now, therefore enjoy your moment because it will all coming crashing to an end very soon. I can't wait to see the Williamses meet the Belgians again. Damn life is good.
Yeah this really is starting to become somewhat of a rivalry. I could become one of the great ones in history. Although, Henin seems to be more of a rival for the WIlliams than Clijsters....for now at least. She seems to be the mentally stronger of the two Belgians. Although they seem to flip flop in that regard.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts