Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although it's a longshot that Venus goes into the US Open at #5 (she would have to do terrible at Toronto) it could mean trouble for the Belgians if she gets drawn on the same side as both Belgians. This means Venus could beat #1, #2, and #3 at the US Open. The WS haters and Belgian fans would have a fit if this happened because Venus would effectively send the Belgians packing at Flushing Meadows. This scenario would be and exciting one for women's tennis

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Knizzle said:
Although it's a longshot that Venus goes into the US Open at #5 (she would have to do terrible at Toronto) it could mean trouble for the Belgians if she gets drawn on the same side as both Belgians. This means Venus could beat #1, #2, and #3 at the US Open. The WS haters and Belgian fans would have a fit if this happened because Venus would effectively send the Belgians packing at Flushing Meadows. This scenario would be and exciting one for women's tennis
I agree, it would be really messy US Open if Venus met one of the top four in the quarters...actually it should've been messy to have cappy meet one of the top 4 in the quarters, but luckily(or maybe unluckily for her) it's been against Serena every time :lol:
It'll be weird though if Venus/Serena and Kim/Justine end up on the same side--an all Willies quarter:eek:, has that ever been done?

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
caelestia said:
I agree, it would be really messy US Open if Venus met one of the top four in the quarters...actually it should've been messy to have cappy meet one of the top 4 in the quarters, but luckily(or maybe unluckily for her) it's been against Serena every time :lol:
It'll be weird though if Venus/Serena and Kim/Justine end up on the same side--an all Willies quarter:eek:, has that ever been done?
I meant that it would be disastrous for the Belgians if Venus, Kim, and Henin were all on the same side, and Venus met them in the QF and SF respectively. I guess they would call it the Belgian massacre. That would mean Serena would have a cakewalk draw though, but that just doesn't happen does it??

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Knizzle said:
I guess they would call it the Belgian massacre. That would mean Serena would have a cakewalk draw though, but that just doesn't happen does it??
nope, the tennis gods won't allow it :p
look for a Cappy quarter and a Venus Semi :eek:...but considering their last few performances against her, it might be defined as a cakewalk (but then any draw could be a cakewalk for her right about now especially since the only person who's beaten her consecutively this year has hardcourts as her worst surface :lol: )

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Knizzle said:
it's a similar situation as when Serena wasn't in the top 4.

No one wants to play Venus in the quarters (or any round for that matter) but it can also be trouble for Serena. who knows how Venus would perform if they meet before the final

·
Registered
11,222 Posts
Fingon said:
who knows how Venus would perform if they meet before the final
I don't think when Serena played Venus on finals, that was a factor for Venus' losses... I think it's more about Serena being her sister, and I don't think that's a situation that will change in US Open.. if Venus happens to play Serena before the finals, I think Serena will be victorious again

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
I was a little upset when I saw that Venus will fall to number five, but you are right; Serena and Venus will have little chance of being in the same quarter and that means tha the other players will have little chance of moving into the semifinals considering that Venus has never lost prior to the semifinals since her 1997 debut at the USO.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
There is just as good a chance Venus will be drawn in either Davenport's or Serena's quarter as being drawn in Kim's or Henin's, seeds 5-8 are randomly drawn into the 4 quarters. So it doesn't just pose 'trouble' to Kim and Henin, but also to Serena and Davenport - the whole top 4.

I think though Venus will be 4 going into the US Open, Davenport has a bit to defend next week (194), while Venus doesn't and Venus is adding Toronto, and seeing that the official seedings are announced one week prior to the Open, Venus will stil have her New Haven points on her total.

So it is a bit of a dilemma for the Williams fans if Kim is to defeat Raymond (Kim won the first set 6-1 and it is 4-2 in the second to Kim). Just out of interest sakes - to the WIlliams fans, if hypothetically it is a Kim-Davenport semi who would you want to win it, Kim thereby cutting Serena's lead or Davenport thereby extending her lead over Venus and giving herself a greater chance of being 4 going into the open courtesy of juicy bonus points???

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Venus will be the top four seed behind kim justine and lindsay. perfect I say. she can't meet any of them until the semi or final will be more than capable of taking them out by then.

·
Banned
327 Posts
kim&lleytonrule said:
There is just as good a chance Venus will be drawn in either Davenport's or Serena's quarter as being drawn in Kim's or Henin's, seeds 5-8 are randomly drawn into the 4 quarters. So it doesn't just pose 'trouble' to Kim and Henin, but also to Serena and Davenport - the whole top 4.

I think though Venus will be 4 going into the US Open, Davenport has a bit to defend next week (194), while Venus doesn't and Venus is adding Toronto, and seeing that the official seedings are announced one week prior to the Open, Venus will stil have her New Haven points on her total.

So it is a bit of a dilemma for the Williams fans if Kim is to defeat Raymond (Kim won the first set 6-1 and it is 4-2 in the second to Kim). Just out of interest sakes - to the WIlliams fans, if hypothetically it is a Kim-Davenport semi who would you want to win it, Kim thereby cutting Serena's lead or Davenport thereby extending her lead over Venus and giving herself a greater chance of being 4 going into the open courtesy of juicy bonus points???
Venus will either be seeded third or fourth now that Serena is out. So the debate is over! lol

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
dekker said:
Venus will either be seeded third or fourth now that Serena is out. So the debate is over! lol
Yeah i know I just read about Serena in another thread, so Venus will be top 4 seed definately, and for the first time in history the top 2 seeds will be Belgian.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
QUEENLINDSAY said:
debate is over just like that!!!!!! lol!!!!!! I hope for a Justine-Lindsay semis, that is if Justine can go to semis.

Did Henin ever pass 4th round at the Open???
Why cause you don't want Kim on Davenport's side ;) Well I hope for a Kim-Davenport semis. And no Henin has never been past the fourth round, Kim has only been to the QF too, but I feel both will have their best US Open ever this year

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
well with serena gone the open is wide open because imo it was a forgone conclusion she would win. now however new frontrunners emerge lead by venus, if she has healed from the ab strain, and followed by kim, jennifer, momo, and lindsay.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
kim&lleytonrule said:
Why cause you don't want Kim on Davenport's side ;) Well I hope for a Kim-Davenport semis. And no Henin has never been past the fourth round, Kim has only been to the QF too, but I feel both will have their best US Open ever this year
You sound so bitter!!!!
I dont want a Lindsay-Kim semi, rather I want a Lindsay-Kim final.
Kim is my second fave after all.
To clear your thoughts, I was never afraid of meeting either of the Belgians coz if Lindsay loses, its all about her own game, her errors and her oponent cheating.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
If Venus was #5 it didn't matter anyhow because Venus beats the top 4 minus Serena CONSISTANTLY!

She still had to of had to play and win 7 matches. Meeting Henin, Kim or whoever would make no difference to her at all. It is those who would have had to face her earlier.

Venus being ranked lower is only to her benefit at this US Open because she has a winning head2head over #2 #3 #4. Serena is not playing so she will not matter. this will be a great oppurtunity for Venus Williams to get some juicy bonus points at a grandslam.

I would worry more if she had a losing record over #2 #3 #4 or if she faces Serena before the final.

GO V:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.