Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4131045

ROME -- Venus and Serena Williams are interested in playing the Fed Cup final against Italy in November despite skipping the United States' victory over the Czech Republic last weekend.

Venus said she and her sister "would both love to play" if they are healthy. She spoke Sunday at the Italian Open, where both are entered.

Italy will host the final Nov. 7-8 at a site still to be determined.

Italy is looking for the slowest clay courts it can find to soften the impact of the Williamses' punishing groundstrokes.

Italy captain Corrado Barazzutti said he's even considering holding the tie outside despite the late fall date, perhaps in southern Italy or the islands of Sardegna or Sicily.

·
Registered
28,331 Posts
I'm sure they also would love to play the next match if USA had lost to Czech Republic :rolleyes: Alexa Glatch should be rewarded with playing the final.

·
Registered
33,145 Posts
I hope I hope I hope they do. ^^^First of all, Glatch could also been on the team. Second, I'm sure if Llagostera Vives got Spain to the final, you would still want AMG and CSN to play in it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Based on her "Team USA" and "We Gotta Win" attitude in Czech, I'd be willing to bet Glatch would want Venus and Serena to play so Team USA could win. If she didn't play but got to be on the team and practice with Venus and Serena for a week, she'd probably be thrilled!

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
so the logic is whoever plays in the playoffs has to play every tie till and including the final? it is a team sport after all!

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I hope the sisters are healthy enough to play, but regardless, I hope team USA wins!!!

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Of course you pick your best team when it's available. This is professional sports. I don't recall too many people being outraged by Jill Craybas, Julie Ditty and Melanie Oudin being replaced by Mattek and Glatch for the semis.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
Yeah good to hear! :bounce: Even if just one of them played, US could win. I hope everything works out so they are fully healthy for the final.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
November is a long way off...

...if they said they didn't want to play you'd complain about their lack of dedication :rolleyes:...

...but I guess this is all about bitching about the Williams Sisters, isn't it. :yawn::yawn:

Reactions: Tech1

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
In my view, the logic is to WIN with the best team you can get. If you have room on the team (there's 4 spots) to reward those who played key roles in getting you to the final, great! Do it!

·
Heyyy
22,759 Posts
i do love the WS but its a bit :/ that theyre only interested now they know if they play they will definitely win the title, im sure they would be less interested if it was russia in the final. should have played the semis imo but meh im sure they dont give a fuck what i think :)
i want italy to win so i hope the williams' dont play. fair competition is overrated. i want mattek leading the us charge plz

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
Resting will be better for WS at that time of the year

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i want italy to win so i hope the williams' dont play. fair competition is overrated. i want mattek leading the us charge plz
Naybe you weren't paying close attention, but Mattek was given the opportunity to "lead the US charge" in the semifinals and she didn't exactly lead...it very nearly cost us the tie!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I think its a little unfair to be honest. The other US women played unbelievable to get to the final and now serena and venus turn up at the last minute to steal the glory.

I can understand why you would want both of them on the team....your chances of winning are better...but it just doesnt sit right with me. :).

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
1 - 20 of 65 Posts