·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From LA Times web site:
---
TENNIS
Sisters Skipping Indian Wells
Sisters Venus and Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati, who will be the top-seeded player at next week's Australian Open, are not expected to play the Indian Wells tournament in March.
---
Well, I can not say that I did not see this move coming after the treatment that the two sisters and Richard received last year and I am also glad that they made this decision.
I do, however, expect to see SERENA return to this event in 2003 and VENUS in 2004, maybe.

TR :cool:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I can understand why Venus and Serena wouldn't but Jen?:confused:

·
Premium Member
181,845 Posts
Jen didn't play this last year either.

Pity that they aren't coming but I guess its uderstandable after last year.

They shouldl be back in 2003

that mean of the Top 4 Gold Exempt Players only Hingis/Davenport are playing.
But that does meet the Player Commitment so the tourn is ok.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KC - Cappy's noncommitment is unrelated to the problems that the WILLIAMS had last year. She was probably just going to rest up for the Ericcson, no doubt. I seriously doubt that Cappy would hold out from a tournament in protest to treatment received by the WILLIAMS family.:rolleyes:

KC, also, who is the hot babe(s) in your avatar?

TR :cool:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
If Jen wants to keep her number 1 ranking, I suggest she play it...she has alot of points to defend this year.:eek:

TeeRexx...that is the sexy dark angel herself Jessica Alba!:hearts: My other wife!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
181,845 Posts
PEA .... your other wife in your dreams pfff

She sleeps with me every night ;) :kiss:

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Might be best for all concerned.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Don't blame them in the least. Too many other places to play. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed. Believe me, I was there all week and was infuriated at the treatment Serena got during the final, but I'm sad Serena won't be defending her title. She did nothing wrong and didn't deserve what happened to her. Not to say Venus did,and I really do love Venus, but she was very wrong in the way she handled the situation. First off, she could have pulled out more then five minutes before the match. I saw her hobbling around the press/players entrance two hours before the match with the WTA trainer. And yes, I do believe she was unable to play, but she should have addressed the crowd and explained the situation to them...maybe Serena could have hit with some fans on court or hit balls to the crowd or something. Instead, when everyone was looking to the tunnel to see V & S come out, we saw ballkids come out and change the net for doubles play without a word on the loudspeaker for about ten minutes and then finally an announcement that Venus had pulled out. The tournament director/organizer, Charlie Pasarell, could have handled it better as well, IMO.

Anyways, we the true fans that attend IW will now miss out on some great tennis because of all of the above mistakes and the disgraceful behaivor of some people at the final that day. I was personally infuriated at what happened and personally apologized to Serena for the crowd's behaivor at a photo op on the roof later (I'm a part-time photographer).

As for Jen, I really don't get her scheduling. She has like NO commitments between now and Ericsson that I know of and she skips way too many Tier 1's, IMO. She must not be too concerned with holding on to #1 cuz she sure isn't scheduling well.

<sigh> this totally rots for those of us going to IW :(

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
yes, totally understandable but regrettable. I wish Serena would defend her title. I would like to say it serves those fans right, but I know that there were williams supporters there too who will get to miss out on seeing them play. so everyone loses out of this situation, in my opinion.
Ruth

·
Registered
12,118 Posts
I really hope Serena to play Indian Wells, but I would rather see her skipping the tournament, that playing fairly, trying to defend her title, and being the target of some rude jokes since the first round of the tournament :rolleyes:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Whatever decision they make is fine with me!:)

Go Venus and Serena:bounce:

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
It's weird, I was just now talking about what happened last year at Indian Wells with my sister. I said I did not feel that I'd be able to even watch that tournament on tv this year, after witnessing in horror the outrageous, and continuous, barrage of hostility poured down upon Serena in that final; a level of hostility egregiously out of proportion to what had happened with Venus. An outburst of Boo's at the start of the match I could understand, but this ongoing reaction was absolutely vicious and hateful. It was what you'd expect to hear if Osama bin Laden walked out on the court, rather than THE SISTER OF a wrongdoing athlete!!

I feel relieved that neither sister will play there this year; why should they? And I kind of hope they never do again.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Quelle surprise. Pity for the genuine fans at Indian Wells (assuming there are some), and they'd better add a tournament on to their schedule to recoup the points, but it's totally understandable.

No idea why Capriati isn't playing, but she didn't last year either. Maybe she just doesn't like the venue.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts