Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, props to Sharapova. Played out of her mind. Out hit Serena.

However, in both Serena and Venus's losses, their technique went off, they played way too much defense, and those clutch serves at crunch time that we're used to were simply not there.

But the BIGGEST difference, was that Serena never had that look of determination, and Venus never had that confident stride where she looked like she'd dare you to even touch her.

V and Rena will be back, to #1 and #2 no doubt, but they have to realize that they have to do some work to do it. They need to improve their technique, their MENTAL technique, and err...they need to tell Oracene to stay home. :tape:

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
No shit, Serenas footwork is killing me. She needs to do something sabout that PRONTO. Venus needs to get her Serve going

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Well Serena is still recovering from injury and obviously this is nowhere near her best. So let's give her a break.

But obviously Venus needs to do something. She's been back since the AO, and this is one of her worst years since she turned pro.

If anything, I think this loss will make Serena better.

·
Registered
424 Posts
They will never catch Masha, even if they start right away!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
I dont think Maria outhit Serena at all...she played a very smart match, she recognized that Serena was off her game early and she took advantage...Serena never had any rhythm on her shots and could never find her groove...her FH definitely needs work but its still a great achievement for her and she was very gracious at the end.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Serena was just OFF and Maria was just on. Congradulations Maria, but Serena technique went down the drain. She was on her back feet and off balance. Damn Serena, even Lindsay gave Maria a scare and she cant even run.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know I forgot about the footwork. Serena was falling over the place.

And yes, we should Congratulate Sharapova, but I just can't believe I just watched that match. Its unbelievable.

Oh, and when Sharapova thanked that person without mentioning her name, I bet she was talking about Anna Kournikova...

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
It was just a bad day on the technique side....Serena just couldn´t keep a forehand in play. But maybe this will motivate her even more....sometimes you learn more from losses.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
I don't think there was anything wrong with Serena's game. She was just outplayed by a girl who believed she could outhit her.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
BK4ever said:
I dont think Maria outhit Serena at all...she played a very smart match, she recognized that Serena was off her game early and she took advantage...Serena never had any rhythm on her shots and could never find her groove...her FH definitely needs work but its still a great achievement for her and she was very gracious at the end.
Masha DID outhit Serena. Serena was hitting hard and the ball was comming back harder every times.. Serena didn't play her best but Maria was untouchable.. When someone like Serena isn't playing well, she'll probably beat you anyway so you have to be there and take it to her. That's what Maria did!!! Well done to both on a great tournament :yeah:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thats the worst i have seen her play in a long time. Nothing was good about serena today- yu just knew she would hit a forehand error whenever there was a ralley.
Congrats to sharapova but ive seen many other players play better than her and loose 3 and 2 to serena! Serena was never angry either with her performance- there was no emotion or desire today.

Work needs to be done- these new girls are hitting as hard as the williams and not missing alot.

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
i guess that id Serena had played like how she did against Capriati
She might be able to defend her title
but for now...
she has to prepare for the coming hardcourt season...
and lets hail the teen sensation : MARIA SHARAPOVA :bounce: :bounce:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Knizzle said:
Not the time to talk about this. Just congratulate Maria.
yep :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Practice Will Never Make "All" Perfect - "All" the Time

All,

Congratulations goes out to both finalists - and with extra strawberries and cream for Maria. Maria has arrived - and there is no if, and butts - about it. She reminds me of the gazelle Venus in some ways. Kudos to her.

Maria took it to Serena and 'dictated play', point blank! Serena was off on her ground stroking, and her 1st and 2nd serves let her down - for the most part. But mainly........Maria kept the pressure on.

Serena nor Venus owe us fans anything. They have to look in the mirror at themselves as it pertains to every aspect of their lives - and not just tennis. All they owe themselves and their parents is to be the best people they can be -all the and the best 'tennis players' they can be at their best. Serena made it to the finals - and they all should be proud.

Again - I don't understand fans that think their faves should never lose a match. I support Venus and Serena - win or lose. And - I think Serena played her best - she was just 'outplayed', period. She can't win them all.

There was a time when Serena was losing more than she won - but she had to get there. She had to eventually learn how to play Venus - Martina & Lindsay - and fight for eveyy point. She proved in the Momo match that she was still a great fighter. Just because she loses to a player that was ON her game and kept hitting deep and close to the lines - she should hang her head? I don't think so. Not too many players would have been able to hang tough on all that depth Maria was dishing up today. Maria deserved to win.

And as far as Venus goes - she will come round. She has to learn that she has to come out the gates more quickly in her matches - and not get into the position where she has to catch up. Sometimes Venus starts late in some of her matches (and especially in the late nineties) - and the last two tourneys (referencing her losses) - and sees that she can't get a set down these days - and expect to win the last two every time it happens.

Venus is a winner. And I will never put her down. She's another one that can't win them all. Whomever plays the best in any given match deserves the win - and for the one that wins the tourney - said one - deserves the 'Top Prize."

I think Serena was saddened by her loss - yet happy for Maria.

"CONGRATULATIONS MARIA - YOU UPSTART YOU" "YOU DESERVE THE TITLE"

"I'M PROUD OF YOU SERENA" "THANKS FOR GIVING US A GREAT TOURNEY" "HERE'S HOPING I SEE YOU SOON" "YOU DID GOOD - GIRLIE-GIRL"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts