Tennis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really can't visualise either playing the Challengers, and both started playing Tour events pretty early on in their careers. However, they must have played some because they were already ranked when they started on the Tour - so did they win them? And if they didn't, who did they lose to?

It'd be interesting to know about the very first senior matches of lots of top players, actually...

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I'd heard that they have never played challangers atall and nither juniors!Don't no if its true though!:confused:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
They played a few juniors - Venus had a record of something like 22-0 and so Richard stopped her playing ....

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
Venus and Serena have never played a challenger.

As for Venus, early on in her career, she was the wild card recipent into many of her draws. But around late 96/early 97 she qualified for many of her events.

As for Serena, her first ever event was 1997 Indian Wells where she lost in the first round of qualifying 6/4, 6/0 to Alexia Dechaume-Balleret. Later that year, she was ranked #99.

I believe her last qualifying event came in 1998 Sydney (where she took out Davenport and lost to eventual champ, ASV). :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts