Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an interview with Venus @ the Aussie Open. She gave a lot of credit to Hantuchova and praise to her. Well done Venus and Hantuchova!! :D :D

VENUS WILLIAMS defeated DANIELA HANTUCHOVA 3-6 6-0 6-4

Q. Venus, you looked like you really enjoyed that at the end after you got through such a tough one?

A. Definitely. It has been a while since I've had such a match, 4-4 in the third, really. Winning those these are definitely some of the sweetest moments in your career.

Q. Was it a scare or a stimulus?

A. I wasn't really afraid. I just kept telling myself that I'm just sitting back there and not doing anything about the situation; chances are I'll be on the flight home too. So I just did my personal best out there today. That's all I could do.

Q. Do you find that brings out the best in you, when somebody pushes you that way?

A. Definitely. She played very well. She kept getting the balls deep. She ran all kinds of ball down. She had a high first service percentage in; she was doing all the right things. So actually it was very good. She is a very good player. She's come a long way since the first time I played her a few months ago.

Q. At the beginning of the match, was that a question of maybe just getting the knee loosened up?

A. Yeah. You always go into a match a little nervous after having a scare. But I found that I could do quite a lot more than I did the other day; so it was exciting for me.

Q. Did it hamper you at all?

A. I felt very good today, very good. I felt like I could move. She hit a few drop shots that I didn't run for at first. But then there was a few towards the end that I did very well on.

Q. Venus, in terms of the injury, I mean, do you think that it is physically tougher on players' bodies now than it ever has been?

A. As far as playing a lot, maybe?

Q. Yes. The schedule, the racquets, the hard courts, everything?

A. I think it's true tennis has changed since its beginnings, and there's a lot more on the players as far as playing tournaments and being - especially the top players, getting into the final four, the Finals. So, if anything, you should take very good care of yourself, and as long as you do that, normally, it's okay.

Q. Venus, probably more importantly, how is the knee now that it has cooled down?

A. I feel well. Just, you know, I took immediate precaution, and just do my best to keep all the swelling out. But I've got a good Mom and I've got a good trainer with me, so they were doing everything they could do to make it possible I was here today.

Q. Did you ice it, or what was the procedure after the match?

A. Yeah. Ice is my best friend now.

Q. Venus, you have been criticised for maybe not playing as much as other players. But maybe there's something in that for you, to protect your body a little bit more, and stay fresh and hungry and not jaded. Do you think there's something to be said for playing a more limited schedule?

A. I think that, really, my schedule really just mirrors my personality. Lots of players are able to play quite a few matches. But if I would just do one thing in my life I would be terribly bored. So I've got to do what makes me happy, and playing the amounts of tournaments that I've played so far has made me happy, and for me that's what's best.

Q. In terms of the match, to come back from 0-40 in that second game of the second set, was that where you think you turned it around or - - -?

A. Oh, really, I was just telling myself to hopefully keep the unforced errors down. But she played very well. Every ball kept coming back. If I put more pace on it came back harder. It was a very challenging match. But definitely, when you come back from being far down, being down 0-40 is not only boosting for yourself, but your opponent starts to think a lot more.

Q. Venus, how do you describe the difference between the first set and the second set? Did you just get a lot better in the second and she sort of started choking up a bit; or how do you explain the difference between the first and second sets?

A. Well, really, I just, since I've been out here a little bit longer and I've been in this kind of situation more than she did, I probably was more prepared to deal with some of the stress and all the things that go into this. But she played very well. Right up to the end I had to fight for every point, that's for sure. But even the first set was a little tough. I had a double break against me, and that's hard to come back, against you, if she serves very well. So I just had to do what it takes and try to dig out of it.

Q. So do you think experience was the difference perhaps?

A. It could have been. It could have been.

Q. Venus, you looked pretty shaky when you were going down 0-4 in the first set, and a little ginger on your foot and stuff, on your leg. Did you ever at any point think, "Boy, this isn't going to loosen up. I'm not going to be able to play better"? Did you think you might sort of stop?

A. No, I didn't feel that I would stop. I just wanted to make sure everything was okay, and I think that - I didn't hit yesterday, and I just had about fifteen, twenty minutes today, so I hadn't really tested it so I didn't know how far I could go. But I went very far.

Q. She's, what, I think 18. She played very well today. I think your experience showed through. But clearly, she's going to be one to watch, and maybe someone you are going to have to get used to playing more often. ?

A. M'mm. Actually, I enjoy playing against her. She puts a challenge to you. She makes you realise the places where you have to work a little bit harder, and it's very nice to get that challenge. Because as long as you are winning easy, things seem like a piece like of cake, and you don't really see your flaws. So as long as there's players out there testing you and pushing you further it helps, not only me, it helps everybody. It helps everyone else on the Tour.

Q. Do you think that she's going to be one of the stars coming through?

A. From the first time I played her I thought she had a really incredible game. And plus, she has the height, and the leverage, and she moves well, and it seems to me like she thinks on the court also. So she has a lot of things working for her.

Q. What do you do with your forehand when it suddenly goes crazy?

A. I don't think my forehand goes crazy.

Q. Well, you had some strange shots?

A. Yeah. I'm not looking at the ball when I do that, you know. You have to see it before you hit it; and if you don't, you hope for the best and expect the worst. A lot of times you just, you know, you want that ball to be where you are going to put it. And you just take your eye off it and it just doesn't work, and I know that. But you just have to keep yourself calm. But, for me, I think a lot of the times my forehand is my best side. I've lost a lot of matches off my backhand, so as long as I'm serving well and moving well and just competing, that's what counts.

Q. What sort of match do you expect from Magdalena, Venus? Is it a similar match to what you had today?

A. Oh, for sure. I think I'll have to hit a lot of balls. I think that she's an older player. She plays more calculated tennis. She moves the ball around well, and she's really a formidable opponent. So I can't expect her to give me anything. I'll just have to go out there and take something for myself.

Q. Venus, have you ever talked to her about having her sister or sisters on the Tour?

A. No, not really, no. She's the last one standing. I guess she has done the best out of all three; correct? No?

Q. No. Do you think the two of you could take the three of them?

A. There's room for one more. I'll pull one of my other sisters in.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Thanks for posting.

Venus is turning (has turned) into the consummate interviewee.

Always says one thing that surprises you/makes you think better of her, without actually giving anything away, or showing weakness.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Originally posted by thefreedesigner

Venus is turning (has turned) into the consummate interviewee.

Very true - nice comments from Venus, and certainly more interesting than, like, y´know...

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
This is another reason why Venus is my favorite player. She's not the extrovert that Serena is but when it's time for her to speak, Venus says concrete, interesting things. Lova ya Vee! :D

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I'm not a particular fan of Venus', but I do like her interviews. She says interesting things without being brash, and can be very funny too!

I liked this bit:

Q. Did you ice it, or what was the procedure after the match?

A. Yeah. Ice is my best friend now.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I think both Venus and Serena do a good job in their interviews. They don't allow themselves to get drawn into controversy and almost seem to enjoy bantering with the journalists. Also, I definitely think that Venus has become a lot more complimentary of her opponents in the past year. I think she always respected her opponents, but that wasn't necessarily reflected in her interviews. Now I think she goes out of her way to compliment them. I think she is not really given credit for that. She was very complimentary of Henin after Wimbledon too.
Ruth in Philly PA USA

·
Veelieve!!!
32,585 Posts
:bounce: :bounce: Have I mentioned how much I love this kid?? <evil grin> Not only is she a wonderful athlete and great tennis player, but she is an intelligent, sensible , positive young woman... I'm very proud to be a fan :p

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Very nice interview! I'm impressed with Venus comments. She seems a nice girl :eek: Also very amusing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Venus is the consummate interviewee..she is extremely intelligent, well-spoken, a natural humour...and she is never brash...when she speaks you can hear all the goodness inside of her. You can tell that she is a true champion, very secure in her abilities..hence the ready praise for her opponents. She will never be accused of not acknowledging others again.

She never had to take a swipe at another opponent...maybe before she never mentioned them like people thought, but she didn't have to. I also love how Venus is very mature in her statements and also bubbly and childlike...I tend to forget that she is only 21!

The Goddess is truly an inspiration for me:bounce:

·
Registered
837 Posts
ooops...got carried away talking about Venus....

I would have been thrilled for Dani if she had garnered the vistory over Venus...she came so close! Venus sings her praises perfectly...nothing more to say. Dani has got some serious style...

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Venus is incredible, and Hantuchova is definitely going to be a star. Venus is always articulate, humorous, and complimentary in her interviews. Congratulations Venus, and great job Daniella(sp).

BTW, Shriver and Drisdale had 3 sets of tennis to get Hantuchova's name right. I don't think they ever did!

<font size=6 color=deep pink><marquee>V</marquee></color></font>

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Hey Tine,

above I was referring to how interesting Venus´s interviews were compared to those of say, Capriati, who - like, y´know, talks kinda y´know, like this...and stuff...;)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The V!!!

Thanks for throwing up the V HAIL-VENUS!!!!!!:)

V

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks Williams_Rulez

Just repeating for those who say Vee doesn't give credit to her opponents

From the first time I played her I thought she had a really incredible game. And plus, she has the height, and the leverage, and she moves well, and it seems to me like she thinks on the court also. So she has a lot of things working for her.
She puts a challenge to you. She makes you realise the places where you have to work a little bit harder, and it's very nice to get that challenge
Infiniti2001 - I'm with you... Just gotta love that young lady:kiss:
She is so "Together" btw Nice Pictures!

SK - she does have rather different yet very nice sense of humor.

Good for you Venus ... it is very healthy to laugh at your self/circumstances sometimes. Now laugh your way to the Winner's seat:bounce:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
U really gotta LOVE Venus, she's so mature and classy. What STYLE and GRACE:)

She sings sweet praise to her opponents which is so sportsmanlike. She's one hell of a champion:):)

*Leaving this thread with a picture in my mind of Venus, Serena and Iasha playing doubles with Maggie and her sisters".:D

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Say what? 436 times this beautiful interview has been looked over and not as nearly many people post in it??

Come on folks this interview was a classy example of a great tennis champion. This gal is going into the tennis hall of fame for sure:):)

She gives credit to a up and coming great player:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts